• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choosing rpi4 digital HAT (transport only)

mkarikom

My primary DAC for this transport will be an RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which needs to link to a network server several rooms away (currently experimenting with Roon).

I will connect to the transport using coax (a media PC currently occupies the USB input on the ADI-2).

Please note the ADI-2 does not have bnc, so the presence of that feature is of no consequence to me.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on comparison between the following modules (trying to update this with the products kindly suggested in the replies):
  1. PiFi Digi+ ($15 really excited about this one from aliexpress!)
  2. HiFiBerry Digi+ ($25)
  3. HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro ($50)
  4. JustBoom Digi HAT ($28)
  5. PI2AES ($149)
  6. Allo DigiOne ($100.... but from the picture, it does appear to contain large amounts of gold, an inflation-resistant holding)

I guess from a practical standpoint, I'm wondering why Allo recommends a $150 psu for the DigiOne (it's connected to the rpi4, which is connected to an ethernet cable, which is connected to a network switch down the hall that is very non-audiophile)? Case in point, @amirm uses the $15 switching psu when he measures stuff from Allo.

For the OS for the rpi4/HAT, I am considering the following:
  1. RoPieee
  2. Volumio
  3. VitOS

Last edited:
OP
M

mkarikom

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My primary DAC for this transport will be an RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which needs to link to a network server several rooms away (currently experimenting with Roon).

I will connect to the transport using coax (a media PC currently occupies the USB input on the ADI-2).

Please note the ADI-2 does not have bnc, so the presence of that feature is of no consequence to me.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on comparison between the following modules (afaik they all implement the same/similar transciever that costs like $8 on Digikey):
  1. PiFi Digi+ ($15 really excited about this one from aliexpress!)
  2. HiFiBerry Digi+ ($25)
  3. HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro ($50)
  4. Allo DigiOne ($100.... but from the picture, it does appear to contain large amounts of gold, an inflation-resistant holding)

I guess from a practical standpoint, I'm wondering why Allo recommends a $150 psu for the DigiOne (it's connected to the rpi4, which is connected to an ethernet cable, which is connected to a network switch down the hall that is very non-audiophile)? Case in point, @amirm uses the $15 switching psu when he measures stuff from Allo.

Also I'd appreciate anyone's comments on the following statements from the page for the DigiOne on Allo's website:
  1. "We recommend Shanti Ultra low noise dual linear PSU for your DigiOne, and above you get it at a discount"
  2. "PSU: Not needed (power is taken from RPI, then we use a isolated DC/DC [typo?] convertor with filters and LDO)"

Try the Pi2 - https://www.pi2design.com/

TomekNet

I believe LPS is a placebo. I have a DigiOne on RPi3B+ and I've tried it both with Nirvana and generic SMPS - no audible differences. I've tested RCA vs BNC out - again no audible differences. I've also done a blind test of this RPi streamer to a different streamer with SPDIF out - I couldn't tell the difference at all.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
BTW, I use the Justboom Zero into the coax input of my RME DAC. Tried other devices, none of which would switch off the carrier signal, so the RME wouldn’t auto-switch away.

The Justboom Digi Zero shuts off the carrier within seconds of music stopping, so auto-switching between USB (my PC), Optical (a Google CCA) and the Justboom (Squeezelite on a Pi Zero) works perfectly, and is awesome

tgray

I’ve used a Hifiberry Digi+ for years with various DACs and have no issues. If I were to do it over, I’d probably pick up the newer Digi2 and play around with the add in DSP board.

OP
M

mkarikom

The Justboom Digi Zero shuts off the carrier within seconds of music stopping, so auto-switching between USB (my PC), Optical (a Google CCA) and the Justboom (Squeezelite on a Pi Zero) works perfectly, and is awesome
Thanks, @Ralph_Cramden. This is definitely a concern for me since my ADI-2 is hosting multiple devices.
Would you mind stating which OS's (I am considering Volumio) you've tried (I'm assuming this issue persisted regardless of OS)?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
piCorePlayer. It works beautifully on the limited resources of the Zero. I also run LMS on it on my Pi 4 server. The Zeros are great endpoints.

Top Bottom