• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choosing new setup (Headphones, DAC/AMP)

Jim82

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new setup to use with my desktop computer. Currently using a boring wireless gaming headset and missing some quality sound.

I have no special requirements as such, but I normally never buy the cheapest stuff.

Here's some information:
- Headphones, must be more or less silent from the outside, as I'm often listening after kids bedtime (PC close to them).
- DAC and AMP, preferred is one unit, but a stack with 2 units is also fine, if the quality or features are better.
- Budget ~$1.500 at max, lower would also be nice, but I want some quality this time.
- Should be compatible with PC + Mac via USB (USB-C preferred, but not a must).

Looking forward to your input :)
Jim

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The RME ADI-2 FS DAC / Headphone Amp puts everything nice and neat in one box. It has been highly reviewed in ASR, has excellent sound, and an abundance of features. They have come down in price recently, the last I saw there going for $999 at Sweetwater. It can also serve as a preamp in addition to the headphone amp capabilities. But if you need something cheaper to leave more in the budget for headphones, very nice cheaper dac / amps can be had from Topping.

OP
J

Jim82

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, however I think it might be too big for my desk :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
See how Denon AX-D5200 suits your needs regarding hedaphones (around 600~700 $). I know this will sound strange but see how USB thumb alike Luxury & Precision W2 DAC/AMP (260~307 $) suits you it goes good with mentioned hedaphones.
Best regards.
Edit: A tight budget proposal would be AKG K371 + Creative SBX G6.
You have reviews for all mentioned except AX-D5200 hire (on ASR).

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks a lot for your suggestion, however I think it might be too big for my desk :)
Not sure what you mean. It is not physically big.. Are you sure you looked at the correct model?

OP
J

Jim82

So I've been checking out some DACs, but I'm still at a loss on which one to get. The ADI is very nice, but also very expensive.

Schiit seems popular, but also double price here (Denmark), compared to USA.

Topping and Sabaj is readily available through Amazon.de (Germany), to what looks like standard prices.

Stack or combined is still a concern. I don't wanna buy to cheap, but I don't need anything super high-end either.

I like the looks of the new Sabaj a20d, but I saw somewhere mentioned that the Topping DX5, is a better unit overall.

It's gonna be hooked up via USB to my pc and I'll use it 50/50 for gaming and music (pop, rock, house). My headphones will probably be something like the Beyer Dynamic DT 1770 PRO or similar price range.

Thanks for your advise :)

madmalkav

Double check this with some people because I've no experience with these devices, I'm just in a similar device hunting:

Topping D10 Balanced for 139€, Monolith THX 887 headphone amp (on sale on Monoprice.eu today at 204€ or 194€ if you subscribe to the newsletter, tomorrow back to 400€), two TRS to XLR cables also on Monprice.eu, and you have 1000€ free for the headphones, that will give you plenty of options.

Trell

Major Contributor
So I've been checking out some DACs, but I'm still at a loss on which one to get. The ADI is very nice, but also very expensive.

Schiit seems popular, but also double price here (Denmark), compared to USA.

Topping and Sabaj is readily available through Amazon.de (Germany), to what looks like standard prices.

Stack or combined is still a concern. I don't wanna buy to cheap, but I don't need anything super high-end either.

I like the looks of the new Sabaj a20d, but I saw somewhere mentioned that the Topping DX5, is a better unit overall.

It's gonna be hooked up via USB to my pc and I'll use it 50/50 for gaming and music (pop, rock, house). My headphones will probably be something like the Beyer Dynamic DT 1770 PRO or similar price range.

Thanks for your advise :)

I’ve the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I’m very happy with it. Its main, for me, advantage over other desktop DAC/amp combos is the onboard DSP like PEQ and dynamic loudness. As well as a ton of other features.

I also have the DT1770 Pro and the RME will play them very loud. I use a single PEQ to notch down the 8 kHz treble peak the DT1770 has. Same for the DT1990 Pro that I also own.

Top Bottom