• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choosing DAP

Which would you prefer personally:

• Hiby R6 2020

• Fiio M11 Plus ESS

• Shanling M6 Pro (21) ESS

• … iBasso DX240 (if you think it’s worth $250 more than the rest)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GrM

My primary reason for getting a DAP is as a source unit for my car (replacing head unit isn’t an option) so having a =/>2vRMS 3.5mm line out is a requirement but I will also be using it for it’s primary intended purpose. Ideally I want one that is as neutral as possible, but would prefer warm to cold since my budget probably won’t support true reference.

That being out of the way I’ve narrowed it down to the following:

iBasso DX160 (but can only find new on xtenic.com, out of Hong Kong [not an authorized dealer]). Pros are price and manual says s/pdif out is optical (my DSP only has optical and analog inputs)
Hiby R6 2020
Fiio M11 plus ESS [leaning towards this one, except some subjective reviews have said highs are (borderline) piercing, which would be a large negative for me].
Shanling M6 Pro (21) ESS (can’t figure out if this one has line level output otherwise this would be my choice based upon subjective reviews regarding it’s sound signature).

iBasso DX240 is also a potential consideration but for it’s price only if it’s sound quality is better enough than the rest to justify being $200 more (can get R6 and M6 for $700).

And, if anyone happens to know the vrms of the 3.5mm line outs of any of these devices I would appreciate that [2vrms is minimum for feeding my DSP]. I can’t find anything other than for the M11 Plus from before ESS switch.

Thanks in advance to anyone who throws in their 2 cents. I’m just looking for which you would go for, pros/cons from experience etc. and whether or not the M6 has LO outs and vRMS of LOs for each.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO, much better to just use a smartphone with a BT receiver to a DAC and 3V line out to Aux input. That's how I use my Chord Mojo V1 primarily for car audio. Mojo gets very hot to touch when not fed with AC lol. Plenty volume and great sound with this setup in my opinion. As for warm/cold DACs, you can EQ digitally or just use your car's head unit bass, mid, treble knobs, and that'll do the trick. As for DAP, I have my A&K SP2000 Cu DAP for desk/office work with my IEM and use that exclusively for its intended purpose

Car Audio.JPG

Nango

Major Contributor
LG G7 cell phone or similar audio dedicated LG V30 deliver those 2V and additionally you can text and make calls while driving .....

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
LG V60. Updated to Android 12. I TB micro SD you're done. Paid $237. In my car now. 70 hrs continuous playback time, quad DAC. Replaces V30+ only for lack of security updates.

Last edited:
OP
G

GrM

Thank you to everyone. I didn’t even consider a different phone, that’ll be something to look in to when it’s time comes.

I ended up going with the M11 and some IEMs about a month ago, completely forgot about this thread. Started off with tin hifi T4s while I tried to figure out what to go for, idk why personal audio is so different than car/home; no one takes measurements of anything other than frequency response and even the best and most objective reviewers claim you can only measure frequency response and everything else is “intangible”/unmeasurable,… Anyone who honestly believes that should check out Erin’s Audio Corner. Granted there isn’t a Klipple for IEMs/headphones but,…

Top Bottom