• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help choosing between Aeon RT, DT 177x GO, and Modhouse Argon MkIII

eebogaine

After endless problems with the Drop THX Pandas, I've returned them and now need a new set of headphones. I listen to a wide variety of music and overall have two main requirements:
1. Closed back, as they'll be used in an office environment.
2. Performant across the entire spectrum, including bass. These will be my only set. I'm not a headphone collector, I can't have a different headphone for each portion of the frequency range.

I've narrowed my options to these three, although feel free to recommend others:
- Aeon RT (supposedly god itself whispering into your ears)
- Drop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO (supposedly a well tamed dt 1770 pro)
- Modhouse Argon MkIII (supposedly the best t50rp mod)

The plan is to power them off of a Qudelix 5K in balanced mode. That should reach 114dB on the Aeon RT, 118dB on the 177X, and 115dB on the Argon.

Thank you all in advance for you help.

phrwn

This is a pretty useful thread covering some of your choices: AMA: Been testing the Argon mk3, Momentum 3, Drop Panda, B&W px7 & DT 770 80ohm : headphones (reddit.com)

Sounds like the Momentum 3 might be worth a look if you're coming from wireless. I've had Argons and don't recommend them. I much preferred the stock T50's over the Argons. The modifications just killed all the fun of the T50's. More comfort, sure, but the sound was demolished.

I replaced them with E-Mu Teaks, which I've not been able to find a better alternative for yet. They do not isolate though. I don't think they project much sound out, but you'll hear voices coming in with annoying clarity. They sound great though. Currently running them off a JDS Element II.

The Momentum 3's look ideal on paper (and on crinacle.com), but the earpads and headband are sheepskin, which is only mentioned in the manual, so if that's an issue they're not going to work.

OP
E

eebogaine

This is a pretty useful thread covering some of your choices
. . .
I've had Argons and don't recommend them. I much preferred the stock T50's over the Argons. The modifications just killed all the fun of the T50's. More comfort, sure, but the sound was demolished.

Thanks for the link. If there's anything I gleaned from that thread it's that Campfire Cascades would be ideal, if only I could afford them.

Could you elaborate on what you didn't like about the Argons? I've never heard them nor the stock t50s.

phrwn

The T50's were probably the most impactful headphone I've tried. You can feel the bass. The resolution was also good; there really wasn't much I didn't like about them. The Argons dulled everything down, pulled the sound away (the famed Argon soundstage) which is fine, but I felt like I lost so much impact and detail I was constantly turning up the volume. Also, with the big pads and added comfort band they become quite a contraption sitting on your head compared the stock T50's.

Top Bottom