• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Choosing A New Preamp Or Other Upgrade Suggestions

• Thread starter Deleted member 31910
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31910

I'd like to try this "objectivist" approach to audio and would like some help from people more knowledgeable than I. I've been into audio for the last 10+ years as I guess someone who is more in the audiophile/subjectivist camp (on a budget). Audiokarma is mostly where I have spent my time over the years.

I'm shopping for a new preamp, I think, but also open to other suggestions as more meaningful upgrades compared to a preamp. My current preamplifier is a recapped Yamaha C-80. My sources are a Topping D50, Denafrips Ares II, and Sony DVP-S9000ES. I mostly listen to CD/SACD but plan on moving one of my computers closer to my stereo for streaming and more digital playback options soon. My amps are Sony N77ES, Yamaha M80, M4, P2700, and Sansui B2101. My main speakers are JBL L7, Yamaha NS1000, and Pioneer Elite TZ-7. I'm currently renting a home and don't have a lot of opportunity to treat my listening rooms but I think my room is pretty dead. Main listening room is a finished, carpeted basement with low ceilings and lots of "stuff" to absorb reflections.

I've had my eye on the Schiit Freya+ but don't really know how much of an upgrade this would be over the C-80. I am also considering Topping Pre90, Gustard P26, or maybe even one of the Denafrips preamps. I really want a remote for the preamp, that is one of my main reasons for wanting to upgrade... I spend a lot of time listening in bed. Even though I only have one amplifier that I primarily use as a LF/bass amp that has XLR inputs, I also want a preamp with balanced options for future upgrades. Having a lot of sources is not that important to me as I mostly listen to digital, but would want at least 2 inputs and preferably at least 2 outputs for bi amping. So far the Schiit Freya+ seems like the best option for me but wanted to see what other opinions I got here for other ways of improving my system that might be more impactful/cost effective. I don't think I am quite ready to jump into DSP but I am interested in learning about it more and taking some room measurements when I have more time.

I'm looking to spend preferably around $1k but might be able to extend that up to $2k. What would you all recommend or buy for an upgrade to my existing setup?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a replacement pre-amp is not likely to make much a SQ difference, but look at a Topping if you don't want to spend those $ on music, speakers, room tmts. or some more likely to improve SQ

OP
D

Deleted member 31910

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Freya+. I was expecting a 4-6wk wait time with the possibility of canceling my order during that waiting period. I got a shipping notice like less than 8hrs after placing my order, lol. So I guess it's been decided. Hopefully, I will see some improvement in the Freya+ aside from the much desired remote control capability.

OP
D

Deleted member 31910

a replacement pre-amp is not likely to make much a SQ difference, but look at a Topping if you don't want to spend those $ on music, speakers, room tmts. or some more likely to improve SQ
Any speaker recommendations that would perform better than JBL L7 for around $1k?

Top Bottom