• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help building new system using older Macbook?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my part-time business, I do computer support. I do not have any current Apple customers, but (a while ago) picked up a used 2013 Macbook Pro to help stay current with MacOS. I also have Apple phones and a few iPads. The Macbook just got a new battery, but does not get used that much. It also has been upgraded with an SSD.

I originally planned to buy a streamer and a new amp, but not finding a good fit. Am thinking I could run Amazon Music HD on the Macbook and use it to drive my new dedicated listening system. Am budgeting about $2000 for a new DAC and an amp. Would like built-in room eq too, but could get by with REW or equiv.

Is this doable? Should I consider surround capability? If so, what electronics do you suggest?

DuxServit

Forum Donor
The Mac computers make very good streamers. Don't bother with those specific audio streaming products (waste of money, hardware lock-in).

I have been using Roon software on an old 2011 MacMini (as the server or Core). Very easy to install.

Then I use a older MacBookPro (MBP) and a couple of old PC computers as the Room Bridge. This allows be 3 different setups and 3 different locations in the house, all coming off one Server.

The Bridge acts like a "clone" of the Server, so you can connect the DAC directly into the bridge computers.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mac computers make very good streamers. Don't bother with those specific audio streaming products (waste of money, hardware lock-in).

I have been using Roon software on an old 2011 MacMini (as the server or Core). Very easy to install.

Then I use a older MacBookPro (MBP) and a couple of old PC computers as the Room Bridge. This allows be 3 different setups and 3 different locations in the house, all coming off one Server.

The Bridge acts like a "clone" of the Server, so you can connect the DAC directly into the bridge computers.

Thanks!

What DAC are you using/like? How are you connecting it to the Mac?

GaryS

Forum Donor
Thanks!

You can use the USB port out of the Mac to a DAC that has a USB B port. I think the model laptop you have has a headphone jack that is a combined analog/digital output. So you can connect via Toslink.

Also, try getting a Raspberry Pi and install RopieeXL on a SD card. Makes a great network transport. Supports DLNA, Airplay, Roon, Spotify, etc

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Thanks!

i’m using a Topping D50 DAC, connected via USB to the MacBookPro. No drivers needed. MacOS finds the D50 automatically. Then DAC out via RCA to amp.

MacOS should just work with any recent USB DAC.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like the Topping DACs, but going to use a subwoofer, so need a built-in crossover. Thinking will use the minidsp SHD Studio unless someone has a better idea?

GaryS

Forum Donor
If your using a amplifier with conventional speaker terminals, you could use the positive and negative leads off of the L or R terminal and output that to the subwoofer. Won't draw that much voltage.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your using a amplifier with conventional speaker terminals, you could use the positive and negative leads off of the L or R terminal and output that to the subwoofer. Won't draw that much voltage.

Nice thought, but my subwoofers are passive :oops:.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess I should have stated that I have been using subwoofers (mainly DiY) since before there was home theater. :)

My passive subwoofers have external amplification. I have a home theater and this will be an additional system for dedicated music listening.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I've been using the same 2011 mbp since the day it was new, plugged in and powered up 24-7 as my music server. Never skipped a beat, needs an ssd though as my hd is full.

Top Bottom