• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help: ARC measurements of my room

veeceem

Measured using Anthem STR preamp and its included mỉcrophone
Can someone take a look at my pre-rc measurements and give any recommendations?
Is the corrected curves provide better sound?
Thanks
Screenshot_20191109_182212.jpg

laidick

Forum Donor
I would suggest you place your speaker or listen position to another spot , if possible.
The 200-300hz range is seriously dip down by 5+ DB, which no EQ could possibly fix it completely, and if push up too much would not be good either to speaker.

Could it be too close to wall? Cancellation due to SBIR?

Also, the max EQ freq could lower down to 500, since both of your speakers are quite good at above the frequency which doesn't really need any adjustment and better stay with what it is for the sound signature.

OP
V

veeceem

Year, the ears/seat is only 30-50cm from back wall, I should try reposition speakers/seat and measure again.
Btw, I place speakers along long wall

OP
V

veeceem

@laidick does that mean to drag the graph down is easier than to raise it up?

laidick

Forum Donor
Year, the ears/seat is only 30-50cm from back wall, I should try reposition speakers/seat and measure again.
Btw, I place speakers along long wall
Yes that is very classic setup which hurts the 200-400hz range usually due to SBIR.

@laidick does that mean to drag the graph down is easier than to raise it up?

There is a Max EQ parameter in ARC, default is 5khz, you can slide down to 500 and listen again.

Also, you may want to experience a bit on higher room gain or deep bass boost.
You could setup 4 profiles and switch the input quickly.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m reading the green line as the actual measured response after the system does the room correction. On that basis it’s perfect, don’t touch anything!

audimus

If I were in your shoes, I would just call it done and go with it. It is just fine with the correction and moving things around will give diminishing returns for the effort or you will spend the next year or more tweaking it more than listening to the result. Correcting that dip in that range is not very taxing on your system. ARC is fairly conservative.

OP
V

veeceem

@MediumRare @audimus
Does using the green line settings hurt the speakers in any way? It's Tannoy Kensington GR
Btw, I'm using Denon 1520ae as power amp while waiting for shipment of my NAD M22 v2.
On the other hand, I did another measurement of 10 points (last one was 5) and the result is nearly identical.
Thanks

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measured using Anthem STR preamp and its included mỉcrophone
Can someone take a look at my pre-rc measurements and give any recommendations?
Is the corrected curves provide better sound?
ThanksView attachment 38316
If you want a little more correction at ~260Hz, you can lower the overall target level by one or two dB and then the remaining dip can be removed. At least I am pretty sure this will work.

MSNWatch

Do an instant measurement for both speakers at your favored listening spot and see how the measurements look. I too am inclined to call it a day.

OP
V

veeceem

If you want a little more correction at ~260Hz, you can lower the overall target level by one or two dB and then the remaining dip can be removed. At least I am pretty sure this will work.
But does that mean the other frequencies will be lowered by 2dB, which in turn, means I have to turn the volume 2dB higher to hear mid/treb?
Isnt that the same thing as leave it at 0?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But does that mean the other frequencies will be lowered by 2dB, which in turn, means I have to turn the volume 2dB higher to hear mid/treb?
Isnt that the same thing as leave it at 0?
Yes it would be 2dB lower across the board. So it is a workaround of the 6dB boost limit of the ARC. So that you can get rid of the little dip that remains in the L channel if you wanted to do that.

OP
V

veeceem

Yes it would be 2dB lower across the board. So it is a workaround of the 6dB boost limit of the ARC. So that you can get rid of the little dip that remains in the L channel if you wanted to do that.
Enlighten me if my understanding is wrong:
What this trick does is to:
-Move the target -2dB lower to tame the last 2db of that 260hz
-Frequencies across the board up to 5k hz will be lowered by -2dB along the target curve
-Does that mean now the frequencies above 5kHz will be +2dB higher than those under 5kHz? Because correction only appliied to those below.
-IF that's the case, then isn't it better to just leave the target curve at where it is, so the below/above 5kHz mark will have no -2dB variation?
-Does this dip down by adjusting the target curve damage the speakers or stress the amp in any ways? Because it raises the 260Hz frequencies -5dB lower than what Arc supposed to adjust (limit to +/-3 up/down on Arc)
-Or I understand it wrong, the 0-5kHz only stay at a set volume and the above-5kHz will only be -2dB louder.
Thanks

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Enlighten me if my understanding is wrong:
What this trick does is to:
-Move the target -2dB lower to tame the last 2db of that 260hz
-Frequencies across the board up to 5k hz will be lowered by -2dB along the target curve
-Does that mean now the frequencies above 5kHz will be +2dB higher than those under 5kHz? Because correction only appliied to those below.
-IF that's the case, then isn't it better to just leave the target curve at where it is, so the below/above 5kHz mark will have no -2dB variation?
-Does this dip down by adjusting the target curve damage the speakers or stress the amp in any ways? Because it raises the 260Hz frequencies -5dB lower than what Arc supposed to adjust (limit to +/-3 up/down on Arc)
-Or I understand it wrong, the 0-5kHz only stay at a set volume and the above-5kHz will only be -2dB louder.
Thanks
Oh you are right. I thought it lowered all frequencies by 2dB but it does not lower those above 5kHz. So not helpful. Sorry to sidetrack you!

OP
V

veeceem

Oh you are right. I thought it lowered all frequencies by 2dB but it does not lower those above 5kHz. So not helpful. Sorry to sidetrack you!
Actually, you helped me :) by reading your words and start to figure out what the curves mean. I start to grow more knowledge of these RC stuffs ^_^ Just get into these RC things from yesterday.
Thanks!

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, you helped me :) by reading your words and start to figure out what the curves mean. I start to grow more knowledge of these RC stuffs ^_^ Just get into these RC things from yesterday.
Thanks!
I am glad it is making sense for you but in this case you taught me more than I was able to help you!

OP
V

veeceem

Can someone please clarify this:
Using ARC on Anthem STR preamp means it will use its built-in ADC/DAC to convert the input source again (for example I use Qutest and connect to pre's RCA inputs), which means better outboard wont help? Because it will output the converted signal by its ADC/DAC anyway?
If thats the case, it's the same as listening to its usb DAC?
Thanks

MSNWatch

Using ARC on Anthem STR preamp means it will use its built-in ADC/DAC to convert the input source again (for example I use Qutest and connect to pre's RCA inputs), which means better outboard wont help? Because it will output the converted signal by its ADC/DAC anyway?
Thanks

There will not be an audible difference whether you use an outboard DAC or use the built in one in the preamp. Connect the sources you need directly, run ARC and enjoy the music.

laidick

Forum Donor
Thanks

Correct, as long as you use it's ARC or digital processing ,then it uses it's ADC DAC to convert.

You may disable digital processing (i.e. bypass) in the input setup .

Top Bottom