• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help a newbie taking measurements, save the kittens!

ezra_s

Forum Donor
After the catchy claimer..

So, I got my umik-1, and also a subwoofer (SVS-SB1000), the sound is good to me, improvements can always be made I guess.

Now I want to measure my room for the overall thing, that is Buchard S400 + subwoofer.

Now, do I measure with sub on or without and then measure sub individually?

Also in some videos I see people point the mic to the front and measure both speakers at the same time and here I recall people suggesting to measure speaker individually but not sure where to point the mic then if forward or from my position aiming at each speaker, to turn off the subwoofer, or to leave it on, etc.

So, how is the best way to proceed? point mic to speakers from my position? point mic to the front? point mic to andromeda galaxy? measure each speaker individually? measure both speakers at the same time with the subwoofer or individually? measure individually with sub or without?

Thanks in avdance.. and think of the kittens!

meow.jpg

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Have you gone through the two part tutorial on this site? Good place to start.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...om-measurement-tutorial-for-dummies-part-1.4/

Yes, sorry, I did, long ago, I've done that already, and took some measurements already, mic looking to the front, both speakers and sub, I still want to take some more to make sure I am doing everything right, the basics about how to set up REW I think I already got.

Reason I am asking is to get your feedback.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Also this video helped me when I started -
Lol,

Yes, the measurements I took were following that one :D but my resulting EQ from REW is a piece of crap.

edit: In this video he uses the mic pointing forward, both speakers at the same time, same I did, but I recall someone in these forums recommending more independent measuring.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Now, do I measure with sub on or without and then measure sub individually?

Measure all of it to observe how they act together.

That's how you'll listen, is it not?

Of course you can measure individually too, to see the contribution of each.

Experiments are permitted.

So, how is the best way to proceed? point mic to speakers from my position? point mic to the front? point mic to andromeda galaxy? measure each speaker individually? measure both speakers at the same time with the subwoofer or individually? measure individually with sub or without?

My stuff is stereo.

I listen (critically) with my head in the sweet spot pointed between the speakers.

I measure with my mic in the sweet spot pointed between the speakers.

My automated DRC takes a measure of left and right and individually corrects both left and right, from a measurement at the sweet spot. Speakers and subs are not separate channels from the viewpoint of this DRC. It corrects the full-range signal.

I don't move the mic.

Unless there is some other experiment to perform.

It's permitted.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I point the microphone at the center point between the speakers.

I've also tried the MMM technique, but I've stuck with single point measurement because

1. MMM won't work with the free DRC-FIR filter generator
2. or, when only correcting below 200 Hz with REW using the rephase setting, there is mimimal difference between the MMM and single point measurements

Carefully setting up the mic is important for a good impulse response measurement for DRC-FIR. Sometimes you get an indifferent result from the filter generated from the measurement, and sometimes you get magic. Using REW to generate the PEQ filters under 200 Hz is less sensitive.

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I re-did some measurements of all types, both speakers and sub, left and right with sub, left and right without sub, sub only. (although it seems I removed all them by mistake but one with everything :facepalm:

I see there are some low responses in low freq area but If I increase the volume in the sub some songs become too boomy, so let's say now it is more or less my sweet spot from my standpoint and totally masked.

room is:
Longitud: 2.90m
Anchura: 3.55m
Altura: 2.50m

Room has some accoustic panels foam and bass traps.

Mic has been pointing forward at ear height. Sub is in top left corner.

Any willing soul wants to take a glance?

Cheers!

PS: I tried to level to 75dB like the video said, should I go higher?

Attachments

• second-set-measurements-11m2-buchards400-andsub-svs-sb1000.mdat.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Top Bottom