• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help a newbie pick the most appropriate amp

dimisaki

Hi everyone!

I am in the process of building my first Hi-Fi system. I currently have a pair of Vandersteen 1C speakers and a td309 turntable (no amp as of yet!)
My main use case will be listening to music (vinyl and some sort of streaming ideally). Movies are a nice plus.
After some looking around, I am now considering 3 vastly different amps. Below a list of said amps, together with some of my initial thoughts on them:
  1. Lyngdorf tdai 1120 new at retail price ~2000
    • Pros: Feature-rich, supports pretty much all sources I may need, great reviews, room correction (room is 4x5 meters, with only a rug for treatment atm)
    • Cons: Price, lowest power of the 3, but should still be enough
  2. Tsakiridis Aeolos ultra 4 x KT150 (http://www.tsakiridis-devices.com/integrated_amplifiers_aeolos.html) used, at 1200 EUR
    • Pros: Looks and feel, sound greek company so service should be easy for me (I am greek :) )
    • Cons: I would need a separate streamer and phono preamp, quite expensive
  3. Cambridge Audio CXR120 display unit at a price of 450 EUR
    • Pros: Price, has almost all connections (would still need a phono preamp), can be used in multi-channel (for movies, for the future)
    • Cons: Sound in stereo? , cant really make any further upgrades
As you can tell by my shortlist, I am quite confused (high-tech digital amp, old-school tubes, and a receiver all in the mix!). Auditioning them with my speakers would of course help greatly, but is not an option sadly.

The unknown for me here is sound quality: how different would you expect these to sound - would you expect one of them to be substantially better than the others?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Raxumit

You might think @geek101 is joking, but he is making a good suggestion. I have two Aiyima A07's myself, and they are solid little amps. If you are really about to spend 1,000-2,000 €, then doing a small experiment with a budget amp for < 100 € is easy and reasonable. You may find it is entirely enough - try it!

I would spend 1,000-2,000 € on speakers before I spent much more than 500 € on an amp.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, those speakers don't need a ton of power per their specs...and your room is not huge...I think you should focus on use factors mainly (separate boxes ok or want full preamp capabilities including a phono pre all in one, need for remote or not, etc.) One way to go is to use the Aiyima A07 with a good quality preamp for the source control. I was recently using mine with an older Nikko preamp and also a NAD one.

Another option for you would be a current all in one such as the NAD 316BEE v2 for about $500, or the next one up in their lineup for a little more power.

OP
D

dimisaki

@geek101, @Raxumit, @Joe Smith

Thank you for your input - makes a lot of sense, I will keep to the more budget options.

In that direction, how do you feel about the crx 120? It is quite bit more expensive than the Aiyima, but I wouldn't need a preamp or a streamer, and I can add more speakers for movies down the line. Do you think it would be worse sonically, on account of being a surround receiver?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how different would you expect these to sound
I'm a big believer in room correction-with a Focal 936 unavoidably in a corner, bass sweeps flattened out a LOT using Audyssey XT32 or now ARC Genesis. That would vote me to the Lyngdorf, or my favorites, Denon receivers.
- Some will opine receivers sound like crap. I suspect little of that is based on actual comparison of top units, and rather on a kind of class snobbery. From a Denon AVR-X3600H to Anthem AVM 70 + ATI 525NC, the receiver sounded just as good for like $6000 less. (There IS some difference to the sound, most likely due the Audyssey vs ARC. Image height and width and depth and [indescribable] have a different [shape?] but both sound fabulous.
- We have this version of the Aiyima https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H (which includes a power supply, many versions of these little amps don't!) using it as a power amp. Doesn't sound bad at all. But I'd still want room correction, and bass management for if I decided to add a sub. Watch out-stereo units with "subwoofer" outs often do not implement the highpass crossover which is stupid.

JiiPee

Have a look at Keces E40 and Quad Vena II. They are both available well below 1K € brand new. Both offer enough power plus decent DAC and phono preamp.

Get a Raspberry Pi based streamer with something like Volumio, or Moode for example and You will have access to Camilla DSP-based room correction for your streamed music.

Alternatively, if You want to get room correction also for music played from vinyl, You could consider DSPeaker Antimode X2. At around 600 €, It gives You a preamp with DAC and room correction. You should be able to find a used power amp for less than 300 €. Add a phono preamp like Schiit Mani 2, or Cambridge Audio Alva for example, and a Raspberry Pi based streamer, and the whole thing should cost less than 1500 €.

Top Bottom