• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help a newbie considering KEF Q750, Node 2i, 2.1 setup

AlexFNajjar

Hi,

I am new to audio and have been enjoying learning more and more. My journey started after acquiring a tone board for my PC, along with Edifier S350DB and Audio Technica ATH-M50x less than a year ago.

In my open living area I am hoping to build a set up for ~$3,000 that:
  1. fills a larger open living area
  2. streams tidal, spotify, soundcloud
  3. has bluetooth for convenience
  4. allows for TV audio input
  5. allows for 2.1 channel
  6. can connect to my NAS for local music storage
I recently listened to the KEF Q750s paired with the Cambridge CXA61 Integrated Amplifier and Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer, and fell in love with the sound.

Being relatively new to audio, I have not acquired an ear to really notice the fine nuances and wish to spend less than the above set up and potentially have more flexibility.

After looking into, and listening to, many speakers I would feel confident in buying the KEF Q750s (~US$1k). I also came across the PowerNode 2i online, which seems like a very attractive offer (~US$1k). So that leaves me with some spare change. I am unsure what would be the best use of the spare cash:
  • start looking at sub options;
  • save for amp as I listen to music loudly and would like to fill my living area, which is an open living space 8m x 5m (26ft x 16ft);
  • save for DAC ; or
  • spend the money on getting the bigger brother of the Q750s, the Q950s (no local dealers have had these to listen to) - but then I will need to consider an amp.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,
Alex

Darvis

Hey there,

Although I really love big floorstanders for some reason, I think you get much more for your money when buying bookshelves + sub. You could even consider bookshelves from the better kef range and have a better speaker and more bass extension and more flexibility (you can move a sub where the bass sounds best, whether you can't obviously do so with speakers, also you can tune the volume of a sub but with a floorstander you're stuck with the general volume).

That being said I listened by chance to a pair of kef 950 in a domestic environment and it was really good.

As for the Bluesound, I have no idea if it's a good device or not (the streamer without the amp part has been tested here, check it out). You could consider a Yamaha N803 (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/yamaha-r-n803-smart-receiver-review.13830/) which seems less expensive, more powerful, veeeery sexy looking and well made. Also with YPAO, not the better room correction by far but probably worth a shot and better then nothing.

Enjoy :)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I would probably get the Q750, CXN v2 (as streamer & pre-amp), and a power amp based on NC252MP, NC502MP or 2x NC500MP modules (~$500-1000+, Nord, VTV, March, Apollon, Audiophonics etc.). If you need Bluetooth, there's an optional BT receiver for the CXN.

And if you're considering adding a sub later anyways, I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend more on the Q950. When it comes to sub integration, I'm under the impression that you could use XLR out from the CXN to power amp and the RCA out to subwoofer.

maty

Major Contributor
$, NA I suppose. Two years ago I wrote about KEF Q750 and...
https://www.avtest.pl/zestawy-glosnikowe/item/767-kef-q750

KEF-Q750-7e-zwrotnica.jpg

Last edited:

idiomatically

3K USD budget? I’d copy one of my room setups, Elac Navis ARB51 Active Speakers, Elac LS80 Stands, Raspberry Pi4 with Ropieee as Streamer, Schiit Jotunheim as preamp with a Schiit Modius as the external DAC for the RP4.

This is balanced end to end, sounds great, easy to use and ticks all your boxes and should come in right around your budget. Get the Jotunheim with the Phono module (not one of their DAC modules) and then you can add a Turn Table later for Vinyl love.

I5aOpSfl.jpg

Top Bottom