• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Helm Audio Bolt Review (Portable DAC & Amp)

Urib

Mine is faulty from the outset it has been 4 months that they are supposed to replace it, but nothing.

Fabio11

Amir,

‘Excellent review. Thank you kindly for taking the time to do this for us! FYI.

NOTE: If you are a Veteran, Police, Fire or First Responder HELM offers a most amazing 50% Discount. I paid $50 USD for this Dongle. So if you can take advantage of this discount it’s a pretty great deal.
Thank you. I wasn't sure which product to get out of so many available, but the helm bolt combo, with the db12 was on the list. Read your post and boom just ordered it with the veteran discount. Thank you again for sharing.

Fabio11

Helm does in fact sell a $199 amplifier featuring THX AAA circuitry. However, it is curiously designed to be an “in-line“ amplifier fed through a cellphone‘s (or DAP’s) headphone output. So, however good/bad the performance is of the cellphone’s analog output circuitry will be a limiting factor.

https://www.thx.com/blog/helm-launches-headphone-amplifier-with-thx-aaa/

https://helmaudio.com/products/db12

A very odd product.

View attachment 112825

Helm does in fact sell a $199 amplifier featuring THX AAA circuitry. However, it is curiously designed to be an “in-line“ amplifier fed through a cellphone‘s (or DAP’s) headphone output. So, however good/bad the performance is of the cellphone’s analog output circuitry will be a limiting factor.

https://www.thx.com/blog/helm-launches-headphone-amplifier-with-thx-aaa/

https://helmaudio.com/products/db12

A very odd product.

View attachment 112825

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221105_133702_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221105_133702_Chrome.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 44

dufferdan

I bought the DROP version of this last fall. When it arrived, I was disappointed to find out that to use it with my iPhone, I needed to put an Apple Camera Adapter between it and the HELM. I tried a Lightning to USB-C adapter and there was no sound or connection to speak of. I didn't want to have to spend another 30 bucks if I could avoid it. On my iPad which has a USB-C connection, it sounded pretty damn good with Meze 99 Drop phones.

A few weeks later, rummaging around a drawer, I found a cheap version of the Camera adapter I had bought on Amazon, however it ended in a USB A connection. Some more rummaging, and found a USB-A to USB-C female connector....so I plugged that into the camera adapter USB -A female end. Then the Helm into the USB-C end. Bingo! Worked like a charm, if not a slightly dodgy kludge. But all of it fits into the little bag included, so easy to keep the gubbins together.

Tried it with the Mezzo 99's, DROP Seinnheiser HD6XX (which I have an issue with as my pair doesn't appear to render any sound of a frequency above 9,000hz), as well as some Audio Technical ATH 50x. All sounded pretty good. Maybe a little less top end power, which isn't a surprise, but with efficient headphones and streaming lossless files, was pretty damn good overall. Nice little piece of kit.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if this drains battery as much as Hidizs S9? I got the $9 Apple dongle to use with my Pixel, but it's limited to super low 0.5v (yes, it's the US model and is much louder 1v on an apple device).

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if this drains battery as much as Hidizs S9? I got the $9 Apple dongle to use with my Pixel, but it's limited to super low 0.5v (yes, it's the US model and is much louder 1v on an apple device).
The nice thing with Apple dongels is they are battery friendly. I use an Apple dongle in combination with an external headphone amp. I only use my Hidizs S9 with a Raspberry Pi.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
The nice thing with Apple dongels is they are battery friendly. I use an Apple dongle in combination with an external headphone amp. I only use my Hidizs S9 with a Raspberry Pi.
True, but at 0.5v limited due to Android, I have to crank my car system which isn't that great in the first place.

Top Bottom