• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello!

Headphonaholic

Hello all! Like many others that have posted introductions, I’ve been lurking for a while now and have recently decided I should try to contribute a bit. I’m a web application engineer (fancy title for a web dev if you aren’t familiar haha). Coming from a programming background and working with data I am naturally attracted to objective measurements. I sadly discovered Amir’s work and this forum a touch late… right after ordering a Schiit Jotunheim (which I’ll be selling soon).

I am as my username would suggest, addicted to headphones. I have a lot… lets just say more than 3 dozen haha. I plan on writing reviews about them since my friends have told me numerous times that I should (I’ll probably clean the collection out after that). This hobby has been escalating a lot for me lately. I’ve started out with a bunch of sub $200 headphones and now own a pair of Mrspeakers Aeon Flow closed and Hifiman Edition X. I also have other great ones like Sennheiser HD6XX, Sennheiser HD58X Jubilees, and Hifiman HE400i. Since my headphone game got more serious, my gear I hook them up to has been in flux as well. I started out with a JDS Labs OL Dac and O2. Now thanks to Amir I own a Topping D50 too. For amps I got a Darkvoice 336se, La Figaro 339, Massdrop CTH, and recently added a Little Labs Monotor and Rega Ear MkII.

As for the future I am planning on getting a pair of electrostatics. I’ve set my eyes on Mrspeakers Voce (the Aeons has made me a Mrspeakers fan boy, well that and listening to Dan Clark talk about the Voce). To go with em I’ll either be getting a Stax SRM-353X or Woo Audio GES. I may also follow it up with a fancy dac… probably the RME ADI-2 DAC since it seems to offer a great value while offering amazing performance (unless Amir measures something better for that price). That’s basically my dream end-game setup :) Just gotta save up lots of money first lol.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings! I look forward to getting more involved in this fantastic community :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Great to read your intro. Did you say you have three dozen headphones??? If I didn't have that many DACs, I would have raised an eyebrow. :D

Hope to read your headphone reviews....

OP
H

Headphonaholic

Yeah it's actually more than that... roughly 50... I've been told I have issues. :D

Yeah I've been working on my first one. I need to take some time to finalize it. I imagine the first couple are the hardest since I'm trying to figure out the best structure for em. I'd like to make them accessible to those that are new to the hobby. A lot of the terminology used in the hobby can be confusing to a new person so I'm hoping to bridge the gap a bit.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hey, you guys could have a mix and match yard sale.;)

OP
H

Headphonaholic

Do you have a favorite among them?

Oh man, this is a good question. It's very hard to pick since I can appreciate a variety for their differences. If I absolutely had to pick one it would be the Mrspeakers Aeons. They are in my opinion a fine piece of engineering and art. You can really tell a lot of work went into making them the best they can be. Whether it's the build or the sound.

My top picks in no particular order:
  • Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Closed
  • Hifiman Edition X
  • Hifiman HE4XX (My 400i are second hand and they have a slight channel imbalance that just makes them lose out to the 4xx)
  • Fostex T50RP MkII (self modded)
  • Fostex T60RP
  • Sennheiser HD6XX/Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee (I'm still trying to decide whether I prefer the Jubilee over the 6xx.... they've very close)
  • Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
I think if I were to do mass cleaning I would probably end up with about 15 or so. I have some I'm on the fence about, like the AKG K7XX.

Hello all! Like many others that have posted introductions, I’ve been lurking for a while now and have recently decided I should try to contribute a bit. I’m a web application engineer (fancy title for a web dev if you aren’t familiar haha). Coming from a programming background and working with data I am naturally attracted to objective measurements. I sadly discovered Amir’s work and this forum a touch late… right after ordering a Schiit Jotunheim (which I’ll be selling soon).

I am as my username would suggest, addicted to headphones. I have a lot… lets just say more than 3 dozen haha. I plan on writing reviews about them since my friends have told me numerous times that I should (I’ll probably clean the collection out after that). This hobby has been escalating a lot for me lately. I’ve started out with a bunch of sub $200 headphones and now own a pair of Mrspeakers Aeon Flow closed and Hifiman Edition X. I also have other great ones like Sennheiser HD6XX, Sennheiser HD58X Jubilees, and Hifiman HE400i. Since my headphone game got more serious, my gear I hook them up to has been in flux as well. I started out with a JDS Labs OL Dac and O2. Now thanks to Amir I own a Topping D50 too. For amps I got a Darkvoice 336se, La Figaro 339, Massdrop CTH, and recently added a Little Labs Monotor and Rega Ear MkII.

As for the future I am planning on getting a pair of electrostatics. I’ve set my eyes on Mrspeakers Voce (the Aeons has made me a Mrspeakers fan boy, well that and listening to Dan Clark talk about the Voce). To go with em I’ll either be getting a Stax SRM-353X or Woo Audio GES. I may also follow it up with a fancy dac… probably the RME ADI-2 DAC since it seems to offer a great value while offering amazing performance (unless Amir measures something better for that price). That’s basically my dream end-game setup :) Just gotta save up lots of money first lol.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings! I look forward to getting more involved in this fantastic community :)
Thanks for the intro. Can you give impressions of the the La Figaro 339 coming from the Darkvoice 336se, and particularly how it pairs with your HD6XX? Cheers.

Top Bottom