• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello, Thank You, & a Little Bit of Showing Off! :)

SegaCD

Hi everyone!

I'm SegaCD and from the mid-western USA. I've been visiting Audio Science Review for a while especially when I want some measurements with regards to DACs!

Until recently, I've focused on physical media and placed network media second (mostly because it was out of my price range!). However, after getting married and moving to a small-ish apartment, network-stored media has become my life! Thanks to the reviews & comments on here by Amirm and others, I started with a FiiO Taishan, but I'm upgrading to a Topping D50 (due to the eBay deals last week).

I'm a bit of a audio, video, & gaming buff to say the least... I can afford most of what I have because I buy stuff broken and either fix them to resell...or keep! I use profits to buy more and the process snowballs. I've slowly built-up my audio/video environment over the last 15 or so years and have something that makes both me (and my guests) very happy to watch and listen to.

Below I've attached a picture of my main set up, but I have a lot more in storage.

DAC: FiiO Taishan...soon to be Topping D50 :)
Amp: Yamaha A-9
Speakers: Rectilinear III "High Boys" w/ new Dayton Audio Polypropylene Capacitors & Pioneer PT-R6 Ribbon Super Tweeters
Network Media Source: NVIDIA Shield w/ 8TB HD
TV: 64" Samsung PN64E8000 Plasma w/ all electrolytic capacitors replaced to Nichicons
Scaler: iScan Duo (Video) & OSSC (Games)
Turntable: Technics SL-15 w/ AT92E & JICO Shibata stylus
Tuner: Sangean HDT-1X
CD: Sony CDP-C801ES 5-Disc Changer
DVD/BD/HDDVD: LG Super-Blu BH-200
Laserdisc: Pioneer HLD-X0 w/ MUSE & LD+G decoders
VHS: Victor/JVC HR-W1 W-VHS Player

Not pictured/in storage: Teac X-2000R reel to reel, Eumig FL-1000uP cassette deck, Technics RS-858D-US 8-track deck, Sony EDV-8000 ED Betamax, National VHD deck, lots of pro-video formats, lots of other misc formats, lots of game systems, lots of test equipment, etc!

Ask me if you have any questions/want to talk!

Thanks,
SegaCD

DSC_0068.JPG

Last edited:

teej

Love Sangean gear...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the intro. Great to see your abilities to fix things. But you didn't explain where your alias came from! :) Is it from being a fan of Sega game console? Where is Sega these days? Still making games?

OP
SegaCD

SegaCD

@teej Yes, can't go wrong with Sangean gear, especially if you have lots of HDRadio stations around. Analog FM sound quality, however, isn't that great compared to many other tuners, but I like the selection of the HD stations in my area and tuning selectivity is solid so... :cool:

@amirm You hit the nail on the head! Yes, the Sega Genesis game console is one of my favorite game systems of all time. Besides the games, as a hardware nerd, I find it intriguing as they were pretty "inventive" with the console itself. They produced an add-on to the console to allow it to play CD games (and standard Red Book CDs) called (creatively) the "Sega CD" hence my username. They also released another add-on for the Genesis called the "Sega 32X." It was quite silly really; you could play a couple games that took advantage of both add-ons (Sega CD 32X), but it was very difficult for designers to program for (5 CPUs to juggle!) and the combined power of the console add-ons would barely match the PS1...at 3X the price!

Sega is still around, but they're hardly the company they once were. They stopped making game consoles after 2002-ish...and I feel they soon lost touch with their market. I think they're finally starting to realize that in recent years, but...their heyday was definitely in the early-90's.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The Dreamcast blew me away with just how much better it looked compared to PS1 and N64 :)
I loved my Dreamcast, it was a huge leap forward that though ultimately failed commercially still lives on as one of the best games consoles imo.

OP
SegaCD

SegaCD

The Dreamcast blew me away with just how much better it looked compared to PS1 and N64 :)
The Dreamcast was & still is great! I pull it out every once in a while to play Space Channel 5 & Crazy Taxi.

Do you do any current console or PC gaming?
I do a little bit of it... I'm pretty consistently a generation behind although I just built the fancy computer of my dreams (after saving up for nearly 9 years!) & I just picked up a Nintendo Switch! I've mostly been playing more casual games like Pokemon Go, Half Minute Hero, Mario Kart, Katamari Damacy, etc and hopefully I'll get SSB: Ultimate soon! The last games I've really deep dived into was Dragon Quest VIII (for PS2) & Breath of The Wild (but over a long period of time with a friend)... I need to try to find more time to play...

Sin Hizer

The Dreamcast was & still is great! I pull it out every once in a while to play Space Channel 5 & Crazy Taxi.

I do a little bit of it... I'm pretty consistently a generation behind although I just built the fancy computer of my dreams (after saving up for nearly 9 years!) & I just picked up a Nintendo Switch! I've mostly been playing more casual games like Pokemon Go, Half Minute Hero, Mario Kart, Katamari Damacy, etc and hopefully I'll get SSB: Ultimate soon! The last games I've really deep dived into was Dragon Quest VIII (for PS2) & Breath of The Wild (but over a long period of time with a friend)... I need to try to find more time to play...

More time to play is usually my only complaint too. I mostly play FPS. I hear the new SSB is pretty addictive.

Top Bottom