• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello! I am an organist

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Josq a multichannel system with subs would serve you well.
I am just building multichannel multi-amplifier system with rather heavy active sub-woofers YAMAHA YST-SW1000 in L and R channels;
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...oftware-crossover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/

Fq response of my system is like this;
WS000343.JPG

I always enjoy nice recordings of pipe organ for example;
WS000934.JPG

Track 2 "Recit de Tierce en Taille / Grigny ND" of "The Great Organ of St. Eustache" played by Jean Guillou, DOR-90134 Dorian Recordings, contains really nice recording of the biggest pipe of St. Eustache in about 25 - 30 Hz which is always my target and challenge with my audio system, and YAMAHA YST-SW1000 works just fantastic for this sound reproduction.

This YouTube video is also very much exciting and big challenge to my audio system;

I am a fun of young Dutch organist Gert van Hoef;
and much more video of Get van Hoef's performance in YouTube...

I have almost all of the organ recordings played by Tom Koopman.

I also love this kind of small, simple Choral Preludes;

I agree with pozz that multichannel multi-amplifier system with nice sub-woofers (you need L & R sub-woofers) and good DAC+pre-amplifier (OKTO's DAC8PRO is just fine) would serve you well!

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi, a fellow Dutchman... from Berkel? I lived in Rotterdam and The Hague when I was a student, now I'm living in the east of the country (Enschede)

Didn't know so much about the 'Magic organ' (too young?), I read a bit about it, its a fascinating story. You probably had a very good time working together with mr Keizerwaard.

Grew up in Rodenrijs. Went to school in R'dam and lived a while in The Hague, worked at Stuut & Bruin. Learned a lot from Jaap.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my above post #21, I found two typos;

"video of Get van Hoef's performance..." should read "video of Gert van Hoef's performance..."

and

"Tom Koopman" should read "Ton Koopman".

I am sorry for these typos.

garbulky

Major Contributor
If you want real scale volumes, your speakers are not going to cut it. You will need some towers. If you do want bookshelves check out Emotiva Stealth 8 (used). You will also need some subwoofers. Basically you're going to end up spending more. Probably about 4-6k. You can get by a good set of headphones and a poewrful headphone amp. I love the sound of the organ through my Sennheiser HD700 powered by my Emotiva Bas-x A-100 (with the jumpers engaged). I would get the HD800S for you. Keep in mind that headphones will not provide you the visceral sensation of the bass. But you can do a lot for cheaper.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My wife plays organ (and piano, and keyboard) -- she's my accompanist as well as for our church. Nice to "see" another player here. And there are other musicians as well, though I am not sure any "pro" level types (for those, I go to the trumpet forum I help moderate, but am not up on organ sites).

Reproducing the sound of an organ, plus capture the ambience of the venue (church), is a daunting task for a home system. I agree with others that a significant system is likely to be needed. I would get decent L/R (sounds like you are happy with those already?) plus a pair of surround/rear speakers and a good sub or two. If you like your L/R speakers, you may be able to get another pair of them or similar for ~$1k then a Rythmik or some other 12" sub for another $1k that will fill out the bottom end.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a single listener situation a neighborhood friendly solution could be a bass transducer built into the seat of the player. There are companies which sell those for drummers, either built into the stool or as an add-on solution.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a single listener situation a neighborhood friendly solution could be a bass transducer built into the seat of the player. There are companies which sell those for drummers, either built into the stool or as an add-on solution.
"butt hertz" rejected candidate product name? :)

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
*The goal is however to recreate the original sound of the organ, including the original acoustics. I like to hear the organ as if I'm standing at the optimal listening position in the church, which may be a large cathedral with up to 10s of reverb, or a very dry sounding village chapel..

the easiest way would be binaural impulse responses on headphones.
it can be done on speakers with Ambiophonics (not Ambisonics)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"butt hertz" rejected candidate product name? :)
I once tried a BC2 by Porter & Davies on a Roland V-Drum with head phones. The sound of the drum was fantastic until I switched off the BC2. The difference was big. Since then I dream of getting one. The problem for home audio is that the transducer is built into the drum seat and I don't know whether they offer kits to retrofit other seats or even a sofa. You may have more luck with Fischer Amps.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I once tried a BC2 by Porter & Davies on a Roland V-Drum with head phones. The sound of the drum was fantastic until I switched off the BC2. The difference was big. Since then I dream of getting one. The problem for home audio is that the transducer is built into the drum seat and I don't know whether they offer kits to retrofit other seats or even a sofa. You may have more luck with Fischer Amps.
That BC2 and those Fischer amps are impressive pieces of gear! I did not know such products existed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom