• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello from yet another new member

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, All,

From Amir's site visitor statistics, there is apparently a 96% probability of my being a dude, and so I rounded up. My name is Ananda, as you might guess. I grew up in India and studied mechanical engineering. Have been living in the USA for some decades now. Nominally an engineer, but the truth is that I cannot fix even a flat tire on a bicycle. Live in an apartment currently, so no speakers and no power amp. Headphones and IEMs are my only transducers now, powered by DAPs or a PC. In 2017, I believed that getting perfect audio reproduction of recorded music was merely a matter of spending money on more expensive gear. Three years later, I am much the poorer and wiser. The wisdom stems in large part from this forum and some others like Inner Fidelity, DIYAudioHeaven, crinacle's In-Ear Fidelity, etc. So I decided to stop lurking and sign up. Glad there are no initiation rites and no hazing <phew!>

OP
J

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Thanks, Doodski, Amir and March Audio. Glad to be here.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
...In 2017, I believed that getting perfect audio reproduction of recorded music was merely a matter of spending money on more expensive gear. Three years later, I am much the poorer and wiser. The wisdom stems in large part from this forum and some others like Inner Fidelity, DIYAudioHeaven, crinacle's In-Ear Fidelity, etc.

I spent a lot of time and money from 2003-2006 trying to get an inherently suboptimal home theater room in a basement to sound better with a slew of equipment trades, absorbers, bass traps, etc., all before discovering Head-Fi and turning to PC-based headphone gear. I originally got into audio when I was in college in 1976 in the days when hobbyists didn't even begin to consider the physics of bass reproduction in a typical listening room, and EQ was universally considered to be a terrible thing in a "high end" system.

I've always held that when it comes to reproduced music, you must decide what shortcoming(s) offend you least, then move in that direction and ignore those who disagree. All of what we have misses the bullseye of perfection. I have an inkling we feel the same--I'd rather hear clean bass from planar magnetic over the ears or BA IEMs than feel the bass from a sub...but I must admit, there are times when I do miss that sensation.

OP
J

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Multiple likes and replies to my newbie post! A warm welcome indeed, thanks to all!

LOL @SIY . You had me going there for a sec, made me check to see whether I had joined SBAF or head-case or head-fi by mistake.

@sejarzo , I take comfort in reading that I am not the first nor last to scratch the upgradeitis itch in pursuit of an unattainable perfection. Your home theater experience pre-dates my upgrade odyssey by over a decade, thanks for sharing that. I am with you about the over-ears and IEMs, that the sound I hear through them, though shy of total realism, is the most detailed and splendid sound I have ever heard through audio gear.

BTW, this is the first ever "social network" or "social medium" I have ever joined (no account on Facebook, Twitter, etc.), if you don't count a huge number of hours wasted in AOL chatrooms in the mid '90s. Always been a bit of a loner, I guess.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Who told you this?

/gets the paddle

smash.gif

Top Bottom