• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello from new member

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad I stumbled across this site last week. Lots of sharp people, minimal snarkiness and excellent musical musings.

I've been on the audio odyssey since the 80s while in college and hearing a very nicely done system produce my favorite music in levels of detail I'd never known possible. Since then, as the budget and intelligence has allowed, it's been an never ending quest to iron out that perfect system for myself and for the past 26 years it's all been focused on the same listening environment.

Things changed dramatically about 5 years ago when I decided to go with a fully active 3 way 2.1 system and purchased a MiniDSP 2x8. All kinds of new levels of geekness were achievable and all kinds of new things to learn about and implement correctly too. I've an old post on the MiniDSP forums here if anyone is interested in my system which is in my studio workspace. Please ignore the early pathetic measurements with REW as I was just figuring it out then and even now I'm only a little better at it. I'm not about the "sweet spot", I've got to move around when I work so it's more about dealing the very limited placement options I have (6 cubic foot cabinets hang from a 11' ceiling) and playing with new drivers. Most of my source is digital via my MacPro though I maintain a decent vinyl collection and a well maintained old Technics SL-D2.

I've really enjoyed the topics I've gone over so far and I blame Amir and the rest of you already for forcing me to order a Topping D10 to replace my Schiit Modi 2....

Last edited:
Top Bottom