• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello from new member, scubaduderon.

Scubaduderon

Hi folks, Ron here. I've been puttering around the Audio/Video world for quite a while, but my technical expertise is somewhat dated. As a former technician, I know that good technicians know where to look for answers. So I am here, among real experts, for guidance.

My current build is a hodgepodge of some older kit in a 7.2 setup, built up from over a decade of collecting, that I refuse to part with. Also in the mix are a couple of 2 channel amps driving the FLR and RLR speakers, which are very difficult loads.

My room is 16' wide x 27' long x 8' tall and is of mixed use, with the back 1/3rd serving as a dining area. I've got a couch with the center seat "dead nuts" in the middle of the room facing away from the dining area towards the front wall.

Along the front wall my TV is exactly centered and about 2.5 feet from the front wall. My LR speakers, just to the left and right of the wall mounted TV, are nearly 6 feet tall and 3.5 feet from the wall. To the Left and right of the LR speakers are a pair of large subs. There is little room left on the front wall for any more stuff...

My Surround LR are to the left and right of the couch, each roughly 6.5 feet from the center seating position (or Command Center, as I tell my wife ;)). The rear speakers (which are a bit far on the back wall) are in correct arc for Atmos. Ultimately the room is capable of a very good 7.2.4 setup. That is where I am going.

I plan on getting a modern receiver, and putting in 4 ceiling speakers for the .4 part.
So basically I have to decide between the Denon X3700H, X4700H and X6700H. I have read the posts in their respective reviews and in some cases re-reviews, yetI am still a bit confused over their ultimate findings, perhaps due to information overload.

The X6700H question seem largely answered, with one simply looking for a unit whose last 3 digits of the serial number are greater than 860.

The X4700H mix down results are vexing, because it seems we are waiting on firmware that may be coming down the pike... Eventually... (Maybe...)

My X3700 questions mostly regard power, Due to hearing issues I listen at loud levels, and need to drive some 4 ohm speakers that are not particularly efficient.

So that is where I am at in the process.

Thank you once again for your help.

Ron

OP
S

Scubaduderon

Thank you Amir. You have created a wonderful community here. One of both fellowship and of science, and to my mind that is one of the best that can be. You efforts and those of the members here help people all over the world, and you should be deservedly proud.

I thank you for the hard work of making this place a reality.

Best, Ron

Zedly

Forum Donor
I don't see any advantage to going to a higher AVR model than the 3700 if you're going to use an external amplifer. Since you will likely need external amplification anyway to drive the speakers, I would go with the 3700 and use the cost difference toward an external amplifier suitable for your speakers.

OP
S

Scubaduderon

I don't see any advantage to going to a higher AVR model than the 3700 if you're going to use an external amplifer. Since you will likely need external amplification anyway to drive the speakers, I would go with the 3700 and use the cost difference toward an external amplifier suitable for your speakers.

Thank you Zedly.

My usage mix is about 80% Netflix, Amazon, HBO and Zulu, 20% music. The music is 2 channel streaming from the optical output of a Chromecast, at 96KHZ/24bits . The service I stream is Qobuz. I have considered the 3700 and have some concerns.

I have 2 very powerful 2 channel amps on dual dedicated 20A lines. These amps drive the fronts and rears to extreme levels with high sound quality. The sides and center will have to be driven by my new AVR, as well as the 4 tops. My sides and center are both 4 ohms. Not super hard drives, but not super easy either.

I worry that the 3700 will not drive the channels I need to the levels to match the fronts and backs. If it isn't, I would need another amp that can power 7 channels to those high levels. Am I missing something?

Thank you, Ron

Last edited:
OP
S

Scubaduderon

Oh, I see it. I would have to purchase a high powered 7 channel amp if I were select the 3700. I remember 2 amps from my reading here. An Emotiva, and a Monoprice.

Off I go and thanks again, Ron

OP
S

Scubaduderon

OK. So far:

Emotiva 7 channel 200W amplifier $2K, X3700H $1300 - $3300 total
Monoprice 7 channel 200W amplifier $1729, X3700H $1300 - $ 3029
(These amps are roughly equivalent, with the initial nod to the Emotiva. Both seem superior to Denon on board amps)

X4700H $1700. 125W (2 channels driven)
X6700H $2500. 140W (2 channels driven)
X8500H $4000 150W (2 channels driven)

Now comes the hard part, weighing the notion that any of the Denons will drive a 4 ohm load to sufficient levels to match my Amps, which are double down amps, and put out a rock solid 400W at 4 ohms.

That is what I dont know. With the way Audessy will match gains the Denons might work, at a substantial savings if you consider the X4700H or the X6700H. I know I'm missing the amps 28 or 29db gain ratings, the 1.4 volts to clipping and such, I'm just not familiar with these subjects to make a final determination.

Am I making sense? How am I wrong in my thinking or what am I missing?

Thanks, Ron

Zedly

Forum Donor
If you really need close to 400W into 4 ohms, I doubt the Denon amps will please you. You'll likely be pushing up to their very limits, which probably means more heat, stress, etc. For $500 more than the 6700, you know you'll have the power you want (Audioholics measured the Monoprice amp at 356W into 4 ohms, 2-channels driven) and little chance of buyer's remorse.. As a long-term proposition, I would choose the external amp (I own the X3600H and Outlaw 7000X and am happy with the combination).

OP
S

Scubaduderon

If you really need close to 400W into 4 ohms, I doubt the Denon amps will please you. You'll likely be pushing up to their very limits, which probably means more heat, stress, etc. For $500 more than the 6700, you know you'll have the power you want (Audioholics measured the Monoprice amp at 356W into 4 ohms, 2-channels driven) and little chance of buyer's remorse.. As a long-term proposition, I would choose the external amp (I own the X3600H and Outlaw 7000X and am happy with the combination).

I remember conversing with Emotiva a few years ago, and for my front LR speakers they said they didn't recommend any of their amps for large electrostatics.

All the speakers I want to drive now that I dont have amps for are conventional types.
Unfortunately even the X6700H is a stretch.

Thanks for the ideas, Ron
Thanks for the help, Ron

Top Bottom