• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello from Gloucester uk

Hi, So I’m trying to get the setup sorted so I can sit in comfort and spend some quality time on the sofa.

Not yet wired up:
Kef q900 floorstanders pair (bought used)
Arcam delta 290 amp ( bought used)
Arcam power amp ( faulty/used)

Prev setup :

Arcam 7se CD ( had for many years)
Marantz pm6003 ( used with 7se for a good few years)
Infiniti bookshelf spkrs ( now gone)

Majority listening:

iPhone to BT speaker used regularly. Sometimes sonos sometimes kitsound. It works hey.

Just bought :

Wiim streamer with optical out. To bring steaming to my set up for the living room via iPhone. I do have a Mac mini if there’s any reason to go that route.

Looking at :

DAC ( schiitt/Topping/Geshelli ?? seem to crop up commonly)

- - -
Can anyone help me out with what price DAC you’d justify to match the Kef/Arcam setup ?
Do I need a 240v DAC ? What inputs would you suggest ? If I listen to CD , would I want to utilise the inbuilt 7se dac, or use external ?
I’d like to think a budget of £250 would do it.
But I’m confused as to what distinguishes a DAC for headphone use from one for my purposes.

Help a non techie out here please. I hate the snake oil sellers. This forum seems to be snake oil free. But if you talk too technical I’ll be lost :cool:

David

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Point you to my favorite inexpensive DACs, the Schiit Modi or the JDS Labs Atom+. Both around $120. Great sound. The Schiit can be powered solely by USB (coming out of a computer) but also has a power port if using with a device that can't put out the required voltage. The JDS Atom+ uses a small power brick. The Modi has all inputs - coax, optical and USB - but the Atom only has USB and Optical. You can't go wrong with either...and don't really need to spend more...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the streamer has an analog output I would try this first. Chances are that a better external DAC does not sound better in a proper controlled blind listening test.

OP
Anynameyouwish
If the streamer has an analog output I would try this first. Chances are that a better external DAC does not sound better in a proper controlled blind listening test.
Thanks. Are you suggesting I stick with the 7se dac when playing cds ?

OP
Anynameyouwish
Point you to my favorite inexpensive DACs, the Schiit Modi or the JDS Labs Atom+. Both around $120. Great sound. The Schiit can be powered solely by USB (coming out of a computer) but also has a power port if using with a device that can't put out the required voltage. The JDS Atom+ uses a small power brick. The Modi has all inputs - coax, optical and USB - but the Atom only has USB and Optical. You can't go wrong with either...and don't really need to spend more...
Sounds fab. Many thanks for this.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Are you suggesting I stick with the 7se dac when playing cds ?
Yes. At least before investing serious money make sure that you in fact can hear a difference in a proper controlled blind listening test. It's much too easy to fool one self ...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many good DACs under $200 so check the Review Index above and then look at features you need like USB, volume knob, Headphone jack, etc. Also prices and availability in the UK are different then here in the US so that is a factor. Read the WiiM Streamer posts as its DAC may have some issues. Welcome and Good Luck.

OP
Anynameyouwish
Many good DACs under $200 so check the Review Index above and then look at features you need like USB, volume knob, Headphone jack, etc. Also prices and availability in the UK are different then here in the US so that is a factor. Read the WiiM Streamer posts as its DAC may have some issues. Welcome and Good Luck.
Review index ! Hadn’t seen that. Yes, I was expecting to not use the wiim dac. Hope I got that right.

OP
Anynameyouwish
I’m seeing a Schiit modi on eBay in UK. I can buy new for £185… but this might have the earlier chip ? Or should I just go for the modi 3e that is new, and multibit … ? Any thoughts ?

Top Bottom