• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Height vs. back surround speakers

lc6

In my current setup, I have side surround and front height speakers. The front height speakers have a decent FR but not as flat as the surrounds, and are not THX-certified while the surrounds are. I just bought an additional pair of speakers identical to the surrounds. I have three options how to use them:
1. To replace the front heights (making the FR more uniform across the system).
2. As additional back surrounds (making the "bed layer" of 7 instead of 5 speakers).
3. As additional back heights (to complement the front heights, but at the expense of no back surrounds).
(There is no possibility to install any speakers in the ceiling, so the front heights, and perhaps back heights, are as good as it can get in that room.)
My AVR supports DD, Atmos, DTS and Auro-3D. I use the system to listen to music (sometimes upmixing 2-channel source material to DSur or Auro) and watch movies (in their native surround modes).
Which option to choose and why?

Top Bottom