• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel vs Vincent vs Rotel integrated amp for Wilson Puppies - which best ?

pma

Major Contributor
They did do 2 Ohm tests, just not a lot:

I highly doubt it will do better than a Purifi 1ET7040SA based amp. Yes the Rotel has a bit more power, but I doubt that you’ll notice the difference. And if so, get an NC1200, it’s rated for 1R.

On the other hand, the Rotel seems to show decent performance, and it’s a complete package, so that may be appealing depending on the needs.
Soundstage do their THD+N tests with 10Hz-90kHz BW. This is pretty important to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges as are the 20kHz BW limited plots in Purifi and Hypex datasheets, limited BW for obvious marketing reasons. Not only this, Rotel has more power, is more beefy to low impedance and will drive Wilsons better, and, as an integrated amp with various inputs is much more versatile.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Soundstage do their THD+N tests with 10Hz-90kHz BW. This is pretty important to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges as are the 20kHz BW limited plots in Purifi and Hypex datasheets, limited BW for obvious marketing reasons.
Yes, we all know the high frequency distortion is worse… so what?
Not only this, Rotel has more power,
I said that.
is more beefy to low impedance and will drive Wilsons better,
Why? There is no indication it will, not from that set of measurements anyway. There is only a bit more power. Does that poor speaker really need 1 kW into 2R?
and, as an integrated amp with various inputs is much more versatile.
I said that as well.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
QSC RMX 5050a is a good option if you want power. Rated to 2x2500W@2Ohm.

Jasperous

The Benchmark AHB2 will handle anything you could possibly throw at it, put in bridged mode and you get 380W of power. None of those 3 companies that you mentioned even come close to the performance of the benchmark amp

3125b

Major Contributor
If you've got the money I'm sure the Rotel will be just fine. Noise performance isn't great, but good enough that you won't notice it - which, to be honest, is absolutely fine. 100dB SINAD and up is more for the eyes than the ears.
That being said, the AHB2 is a great amp as well. As are many others.

Except the Hegel because that's a mess and it hurts to look at:
Hegel-H360-3.jpg

Whatever you like most is probably your best choice due to bias.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Tested to 2 ohm and 1 ohm above. 6 pairs of big Sanken’s output transistors per channel is the answer why.

And I am answering the OP‘s question which of the three amps mentioned. Even if you asked me of Purifi, I would stick with the Rotel X5.
Ahh, thanks. You would think Rotel would say able to drive low impedance loads, even if they didn’t give an output raring at 2 ohms.

Jasperous

If you've got the money I'm sure the Rotel will be just fine. Noise performance isn't great, but good enough that you won't notice it - which, to be honest, is absolutely fine. 100dB SINAD and up is more for the eyes than the ears.
That being said, the AHB2 is a great amp as well. As are many others.

Except the Hegel because that's a mess and it hurts to look at:
View attachment 285328

Whatever you like most is probably your best choice due to bias.
Hegel amps are just such shit I can’t believe they’re Norwegian…

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh, thanks. You would think Rotel would say able to drive low impedance loads, even if they didn’t give an output raring at 2 ohms.
The Michi X5 does great. The question is whether you want the extra power or the lower noise of the Marantz in my opinion.

IMG_7503.jpeg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A cheap Crown XLS 2002 will drive 2 ohm loads all day and has crazy amounts of power to boot. Of course nobody would ever buy it to power Wilsons. Maybe this is like the story in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance where the guy who would not use a beer can to make a shim to keep his handlebars from coming loose opted for something expensive from a BMW dealer a day away.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Reasonably sensitive speakers, can drop to 2.4 ohms though

It's less about a single drop at one narrow spot frequency and more about the range of frequencies where the load is difficult for amplifiers.

My Jamo 507a speakers which drop down to an effective 2.3R at 120Hz and stay well under 4R for the entire bass region:
1684021084428.png

I'd be buying the Rotel if I wanted solid, dependable and long lasting amplification. Also, residual value down the track in the wider secondary market will always benefit a brand like Rotel over any of the other brands mentioned.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
With a user name like fagoter... well I started with benefit of the doubt, but seems rather dubious.

I had to look:

fagoter:
one that makes fagots or works with fagoting: such as
one who sews together or decorates with fagoting by hand or by machine
a sewing machine attachment for making fagoting

1684022202144.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any existing gear or just the speakers? If you do have existing gear, what is it? What might you add in the way of gear? What are the details of your room and use (I don't mean the genres of music you listen to, that's irrelevant, more your spl goals). Will you be using a subwoofer (seems those speakers need help in the lower frequencies)?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
A cheap Crown XLS 2002 will drive 2 ohm loads all day and has crazy amounts of power to boot. Of course nobody would ever buy it to power Wilsons. Maybe this is like the story in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance where the guy who would not use a beer can to make a shim to keep his handlebars from coming loose opted for something expensive from a BMW dealer a day away.
Well...if you are using Wilson speakers you aren't really looking for high fidelity anyway, so a Crown amp would do great.

Jasperous

Well...if you are using Wilson speakers you aren't really looking for high fidelity anyway, so a Crown amp would do great.
Ok… that was a zinger! But let’s be honest… that’s not an amp anyone should buy other than for a PA system

Top Bottom