• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel HD12 DSD DAC And Headphone Amp Review

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
if there was a mistake for the test, it must be corrected or the test must be repeated completely... but, it is an injustice to leave the photo of the dac with the beheaded panther on the first page... forgive me but I don't understand ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
but, it is an injustice to leave the photo of the dac with the beheaded panther on the first page... forgive me but I don't understand ?
I assume you guys are here to read the measurements, not see a picture of a product one way or the other. That is there for entertainment purposes.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
if I look at the picture on the first page and I also look at your conclusion... I'm going to deduce that it's a trash can and I'm not going to waste my time looking at the measurements or I'm just switching to ASR? Or am I not very curious?
but the harm to society is done... it's not very good publicity. but if it's your decision I suppose it has a basis. So I respect it

Hayabusa

I assume you guys are here to read the measurements, not see a picture of a product one way or the other. That is there for entertainment purposes.

Amir, I agree with fredoamigo. You have to scroll to a lot of posts to find out the measurements were redone.
I would at least put an extra first line in your first post pointing to the new measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, I agree with fredoamigo. You have to scroll to a lot of posts to find out the measurements were redone.
I would at least put an extra first line in your first post pointing to the new measurements.
There is a link with bolded red color to point to new measurements in the review. I put that there immediately after I post the correction.

Hayabusa

I now see that you did add a disclaimer just before the results, that should do the same to some extend.

KSTR

Major Contributor
[rant]
This thread is a good example for the general trend of decreasing content quality and I'm sorry to say that this is mostly triggered by Amir himself with his choosen policy to give an overall rating based on a plain, non-compensated performance-to-price ratio.
You simply cannot use uncompensated prices in comparisons, rather a translation from price to actual value must be made, and even better yet, don't judge a price at all unless it way out of bounds (in both ways), just leave it as a remark, not a headline.

I mean, if the exact same product were designed and made in China from one of the mass makers there and retailed at 1/10th the price, the conclusion would be "while not stellar, good enough performance and build quality, recommended". And we wouldn't see the almost shit-storm like flood of reponses.

You cannot directly compare China mass maker retail prices to what the same thing must necessarily cost when built by a small company in an expensive country. We're not talking TotalDac price policy ranges, this is about sane prices called up for sane engineering in the context of what is possible and actually required for a small undertaking to have any chance to survive, under the conditions they have to work.

So, Amir, please stop coming to unreflected conclusions, stick to the objective data (price isn't one) and preferably stop misusing the perfomance-to-price ratio for the overall panther rating.
And folks, please stop being stupid copycats jumping on trains running in the wrong direction.
[/rant]

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you can detach consideration of value from price. People will quite rightly have higher expectations for a more expensive product, both in terms of measured performance and also of perceived quality (materials, fit & finish, industrial design etc). Particularly in the case of DACs where in most cases the on-board DACs of devices provide perfectly acceptable audible performance and where any shortcomings they might suffer from are utterly trivial compared to potential distortion and degradation of SQ introduced by speakers and speaker set up and probably also amplifiers if considering measurement (although I also think that whatever measurements might say most amplifiers are audibly transparent if appropriately specified for their load). In a scenario where you can purchase an excellent, well made DAC at very modest cost if you decide you want a separate component then more expensive products really need to offer something special.
To use an automotive analogy, the Dacia Sandero is an excellent car if you want a good, cheap car for minimum outlay and prefer to buy new rather than second hand, if however it was directly compared to a more premium small car such as an Audi A1 or Mini with price taken out of the equation then I don't think many would vote for the Dacia despite it being an excellent product. Conversely, if you just want a good small car and aren't interested in soft touch plastics, fancy design and tech you'll probably never use then the Dacia is probably a better choice than an A1 or Mini. The difference is that in automotive it is generally pretty obvious which product is more expensive from touch point quality, on-board tech and performance (although not always).
On cost of production, you can't just pro-rata average labour costs as that ignores production efficiency, technical capability, material and component cost etc. Companies like JDS and Schiit manufacture in the US which is not a low cost economy and manage to offer products which compete with Chinese offerings on price, whilst companies like Topping, SMSL and others described as "chi-fi" are no longer just a low cost alternative to more established rivals. These days Chinese manufacturers have established themselves as respected companies in their own right in the small niche of hi-fi (which is an irrelevance to most of the world).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hey everone. This is our first posting on this forum.

First of all, thanks to @amirm for doing the review. The mistake on the measurements could really have happened to anyone. And it has. You are in good company. I can tell you that much. We were a bit puzzled when we saw the first post.

For the thoughts on build quality and pricing, that is not our role to discuss. We are very proud of the HD12 and feel that it was well worth the money at the time. But you are the real judges of that.

The thing I wanted to write about is actually the output level on the balanced outputs. They are true electronically balanced outputs. The reason the output is still just 2,5V is that we think it sounds better. With higher output levels you get a better measurement on the DAC alone. But you also have to reduce the volume further in your preamp or amp. That is negative. So that is why we deliberately have a low output level on our balanced outputs.

Best regards
Hegel Music System AS
Anders Ertzeid

I will obviously continue to watch this forum, but note that I may not be super fast at answering PM's
Thank you for posting.

Can you please describe how you come to the -145dB noise floor spec?
https://www.hegel.com/products/discontinued/hd12

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
This thread is a good example for the general trend of decreasing content quality and I'm sorry to say that this is mostly triggered by Amir himself with his choosen policy to give an overall rating based on a plain, non-compensated performance-to-price ratio.

Decreasing content quality? Quality of the first post of Amir, or quality of discussion in the thread?

Second, this is a review, which everyone understands is subjective. So when you say "non compensated performance to price ratio" is required, I don't understand why? Unless you're saying performance by definition also means "overall" which is nonsensical. The overall rating is a gut summation, not another measurement metric in objective reality. Amir makes posts after reviews are done, as do other users. Asking anyone for a close alternative of a device if one desires, is only one post away if said person feels betrayed about the sentiments rendered by the review.

Also just a quick note on quality.. This review correction changes barely anything, a busted USB I/O implementation isn't an excuse for a product in this price range to now supposedly not get an axed panther head. The error about potential best performance has been rectified. You're up for an uphill battle if you're implying anything else is somehow owed another shake.

You simply cannot use uncompensated prices in comparisons, rather a translation from price to actual value must be made, and even better yet, don't judge a price at all unless it way out of bounds (in both ways), just leave it as a remark, not a headline.

Why not seeing as it's a subjective machination to begin with? You yourself now brickwall yourself when you say "unless it's way out of bounds". Do you perhaps have some compensation based formula where "out of bounds" is quantified in some manner to satisfy all in a similar fashion as an analyzer satisfies all when IMD metrics are produced? You can say it's not to your preference that he reviews something with what you're perceiving as an issue. But it can be argued it's far to arduous and perhaps not enough of a concern, coming up with yet another system where pricing is now going to require compensations with other devices across the board.

You cannot directly compare China mass maker retail prices to what the same thing must necessarily cost when built by a small company in an expensive country.

Of course you can, this whole forum basically serves as the basis for the initiation of such comparisons.

We're not talking TotalDac price policy ranges, this is about sane prices called up for sane engineering in the context of what is possible and actually required for a small undertaking to have any chance to survive, under the conditions they have to work.

We are talking TotalDac price ratios if performance to price is directly compared with something like a DX3Pro for example. Again, you presuppose some sort of already existing "sane prices" standard of which no one has had compulsion to agree with. You need to standardize yourself on how such a concept like "standard sane prices" can be codified in the first place. Otherwise I can simply be a consumer who somewhat cares about audio quality and say: "$1,000 for a box to listen to some music that barely sounds any different than my iPad??" Then you're back in the same place I told you when I replied to the first portion of your post.

Also, you are attempting to impose on what ought be cared about here. Why does someone necessarily have to value "small undertakings" and a company "doing what the need to at a chance to survive, given their conditions". I can easily agree with you, but just as easily and validly have a point against such a stance. For example: "X company doesn't publish proper and good faith specifications, instead third parties have to invest in thousands of dollars of equipment to do it themselves". That alone could be enough reason to instantly discount any appeals to emotion for "take into consideration the little guy". Especially if the little guy has no redeeming qualities. We're not talking Okto DAC here, where they at least stand in position to take the performance crown once their Stereo SKU hits the market.. we're talking about a product who's every aspect (aside from perhaps the dual Toslink inputs) can be had elsewhere. From the build quality, to performance (look at my post of the devices I posted on the first page of one such device).

You're not going to appropriate what I ought value, at least not with pre-suppositionalistic approaches.

So, Amir, please stop coming to unreflected conclusions, stick to the objective data (price isn't one) and preferably stop misusing the perfomance-to-price ratio for the overall panther rating.
And folks, please stop being stupid copycats jumping on trains running in the wrong direction.

And you know how such conclusions were "unreflected" exactly?

MSRP, or live pricing on a non-sale item at the current day, is objective data. Or if it's a discontinued item, a date of release and MSRP of release date, IS OBJECTIVE data, as it is objectively true that, that was the case at that time period.

The panther rating isn't a price to performance ratio. It's about as subjective and valid/invalid as someones opinion of a meal they ate. Not to be taken as gospel, nor does anyone do as such.

Finally, what train are "stupid copycats" even jumping on. Better yet, who are these copycats you're even talking about? That whole last sentence alludes to something far removed from the topics presented in the rest of your post. TOTALLY devoid of any context..

pma

Major Contributor
D

Deleted member 65

My point is that these measurements

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phone-amplifier-audio-measurements-png.41029/

where any experienced eye sees 16-bit signal mode with dither should have been already deleted. Not only commented. This is just a measuring method error, regardless its probable origin in driver configuration.

Sort of disagree, in light of ASR’s transparency & honesty @amirm took the right course, kudos for that. We all make mistakes, as long as we admit & correct all is good.
No need to rewrite history.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I will buy expensive gear if it offers excellent performance and build quality, no matter the country of origin. There are usually certain unique features that can't be had elsewhere, or not in the same combination. Another consideration is customer service and support, and the company's ability to fulfills guarantees or act when something goes wrong.

Veri

Master Contributor
My point is that these measurements

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phone-amplifier-audio-measurements-png.41029/

where any experienced eye sees 16-bit signal mode with dither should have been already deleted. Not only commented. This is just a measuring method error, regardless its probable origin in driver configuration.
OK: so why did it dither? Usually when a bad driver truncates it's painfully obvious but the dithering here is what made it weird and confusing. And worth noting.

pma

Major Contributor
Sort of disagree, in light of ASR’s transparency & honesty @amirm took the right course, kudos for that. We all make mistakes, as long as we admit & correct all is good.
No need to rewrite history.

Yes but it has thrown a bad light onto the product and later explanation is unable to fix it. Known in many cases, damaged reputation is difficult to recover or repair.

pma

Major Contributor
OK: so why did it dither? Usually when a bad driver truncates it's painfully obvious but the dithering here is what made it weird and confusing. And worth noting.

Dither is absolutely correct and a MUST for 16 bit data!! Otherwise you get signal frequency and level dependent quantization distortion.

1575474944717.png

1kHz data dithered

1575474983268.png

1kHz data not dithered

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm did you investigate the alternative asio to wasapi drivers with the AP?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but it has thrown a bad light onto the product and later explanation is unable to fix it. Known in many cases, damaged reputation is difficult to recover or repair.

Yap. I also tend to think that this may be an indication that the goal of publishing one review a day may be over-reaching for ASR. It increases the chance that mishaps like this occur, and it also makes the comments/user contributions to the site extremely focused on tiny measurement details, in stead of the big picture when it comes to audio. Two weekly reviews of devices which are particularly interesting would probably be better for the site overall, I think. My 5 cents.

Top Bottom