• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel HD12 DSD DAC And Headphone Amp Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Internally in Norway at least I would say that Hegel has a much more science-oriented reputation than Electrocompaniet.

Here are measurements of their current big amplifiers.

Hegel H30
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...er&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Hegel H590
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...ac&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

Electrocompaniet Nemo AW600
https://www.stereophile.com/content/electrocompaniet-nemo-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Electrocompaniet AW400
https://www.stereophile.com/content/electrocompaniet-aw400-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

The Hegel amps measure better indeed.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, looking at the top spectrum graph there seems to be no reason for the SINAD to be that low (93 dB)
Highest peak is -112 dB and the noise floor looks low enough... Any idea?

View attachment 41130

The FFT plot shows a lower "bottom" than the actual noise floor. This is due to the concept called FFT gain. The larger the FFT size, the lower the apparent level in the FFT plot because noise gets spread out over more buckets (bins).

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not me. Look can definitely be a deal-breaker when it comes to speakers.
Anyway, why not having gears which get both great performance and aesthetics?

It costs a lot more to make the speakers pretty or to make the entire component's case out of billet aluminum. I also don't get excited about computer looks. My dishwasher has a stainless front, not an oak veneer. Same with my fridge. The washer and dryer have painted plastic and metal. As long as the component isn't actively ugly, I'm fine with it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I don't like that this brand and product shares a name with one of the greats in German philosophy.

Edit: Retracted.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TOSLINK and AES/EBU here. USB is only for configuring Dirac. USB is for desktop systems where the computer is attached. SPDIF, TOSLINK, and AES/EBU are for actual stereo usage.

martijn86

I love the design aesthetics of Hegel integrated amplifiers and want to like them for that (and plainly being more interesting than a Denon). But man. The performance is o k for a $200,- DAC(?), the remote is the same you get free with every $4 Chinese device and all of this comes in a package that is easily mistaken for an alarm clock! If this is their $1400,- separate? What is an integrated amp with network functionality and amplifiers all crammed into the same box supposed to be like?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As requested, I went to test the HD12 using Coax input. To my surprise, performance shot way up! I couldn't figure out how the different digital input would make such a difference. So I went back to testing USB and could not. The ASIO interface I was using would not recognize the HD12 anymore. Could not use ASIO4ALL since it would truncate to 16 bits. So I used Roon to stream the same 1 kHz tone using WASAPI interface and got the same improved performance as Coax!

Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Wasapi Audio Measurements.png

Somehow the other ASIO interface must have been converting 24 bit samples to 16 bits but with dither added. That would limit the performance to 93 dB which is what we got. The revised ranking is now much healthier:
Best Stereo USB DACs 2019.png

I wanted to repeat the rest of the test so I resorted to using Coax from here on. Note again that the above was with USB and there is no difference between USB and Coax.

Linearity was much improved now:
Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Liniearity Coax Audio Measurements.png

Jitter lost its previous aberrations but got a new one:

Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Jitter Coax Audio Measurements.png

There is also some close-in jitter around our main tone that should not be audible due to perceptual masking.

I was pleasantly surprised that the HD12 accepted 192 kHz input for multitone testing as most DACs cannot:
Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Multitone Coax Audio Measurements.png

Dynamic range did not change since it would not be impacted by the driver issue:
Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Dynamic Range Coax Audio Measurements.png

Improved noise performance translated into lower noise in headphone output as well:
Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Power into 300 Ohm Coax Audio Measurements.png

Hegel HD12 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier Power into 33 Ohm Coax Audio Measurements.png

Power output remains low and non-competitive though.

Conclusions
I have gotten bit by the restriction in Audio Precision software to only work with ASIO interface a few times in the past. This is another case. It is a shame they are not investing the work to support Wasapi. Regardless, I was the one publishing the tests and passing judgement on Hegel HD12 DSD and will fall on my sword. I apologize for the first set of erroneous results. I will update the review to put a link to this updated results.

Some conclusions remain though. You can do better in every performance and build quality front with modern combo DAC and Headphone amplifiers. Build quality is simply not there with HD12 DSD. These issues aside, the performance of HD12 DSD is now solid and so if you have an affinity for the brand, I don't see issue with buying one used at a good price.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't have to apologize.
They should apologize, for not providing proper USB driver.

I highly appreciate your honesty on this one (again).
This is a true proof of open scientific mindset, in my opinion, and that's why we're here!
Well done!

Veri

Master Contributor
So odd that it actually dithered down to 16-bit! But good to see the correction in the review.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I apologize for the first set of erroneous results.

EDIT: Please ignore these measurements.

One more thing?

1575322976758.png

Maybe you can transfer Heddy to the Audio Precision review, if there is one.

If not, maybe it's prime time to write one.

Tks

Major Contributor
Welp, goes to show, even with better results, they don't test their devices. How could they allow such a massive difference to exist is pretty bad.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that a headless panther is too severe for this case, imho.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Regardless, I was the one publishing the tests and passing judgement on Hegel HD12 DSD and will fall on my sword.

That's not the way to do it. And, you'll need an assistant.

Please refer to The Fine Art of Seppuku

(It may be difficult to exceed Muira Yoshimoto's performance as described in the last few lines of text, so good luck)

Tks

Major Contributor
To be fair, the issue was that Amir's analyzer is not fully compatible with the interface used. Even if ASIO4ALL downconverts the file bitrate, you don't need to use it if running from a PC. Hegel clearly maximized what they could get out of the chip they used so I'd say that they do a good job testing their products.

Fair enough. Now about that build quality and the actual reason people spend thousands on something like a DAC...

Tks

Major Contributor
I tried to stay away from posting on this thread as I am the owner of the dac, but I guess it's not a big deal to do so. Truth is, I feel that it is well made. I am happy with the purchase (I got it at a good price, plus I knew I would be paying a premium for a Norwegian product: there are few places on Earth where the US dollar is worth less) and the aesthetics were part of the reason I got it. Some people like the Hegel aesthetic, some don't, but it's clearly a conscious decision. The old school display is a big plus in my book. I wanted that.

I should clarify that I opened the dac a while ago and the top plate bend *might* be my fault. Not certain of that, but despite reading the review I only made the connection now. It probably should not be susceptible to bending regardless. That I opened the case should be put out there and I should have thought to tell Amir. There is, however, absolutely no excuse for that remote!

Let's also note that Hegel didn't have to put out the HD12 as there were already lines above and below it. That it undermined its more expensive dacs with 109 SINAD measurement in 2015 is interesting on its own. To charge $1400 is another thing altogether--but who has ever paid retail for Hegel? I think they give decent leeway to dealers. (Reading and listening to big money audiophiles discuss how it sounds like much more expensive dacs without understanding why, and then ultimately moving on from it BECAUSE it it somehow isn't expensive enough is hilarious--one such person sold it to me for very cheap out of a sort of pity!). In the end, I like the brand (and aesthetic) and the review does not change that. The dac, considering its age, is quite good. The company seems to make their products to the level that they advertise. This is the most important element in making and selling this technology. The price is what it is and it is up to us to decide if it is worth it. My best educated guess was 106dB SINAD and it surpassed that! (I also knew the headphone amp part of it was a throwaway as it was never marketed as having a good one--though now in almost 2020 excellent ones should be expected .)

I am very grateful for Amir's generosity in time and knowledge.

And I'm grateful you sent it off to him for review.

gvl

Major Contributor
Seems they nailed the DAC chip spec, can't really complain about anything but the price, well, and the -145dB noise floor spec :) My guess it is without the input signal, not a very useful number.

Hegel Music System

Audio Company
Hey everone. This is our first posting on this forum.

First of all, thanks to @amirm for doing the review. The mistake on the measurements could really have happened to anyone. And it has. You are in good company. I can tell you that much. We were a bit puzzled when we saw the first post.

For the thoughts on build quality and pricing, that is not our role to discuss. We are very proud of the HD12 and feel that it was well worth the money at the time. But you are the real judges of that.

The thing I wanted to write about is actually the output level on the balanced outputs. They are true electronically balanced outputs. The reason the output is still just 2,5V is that we think it sounds better. With higher output levels you get a better measurement on the DAC alone. But you also have to reduce the volume further in your preamp or amp. That is negative. So that is why we deliberately have a low output level on our balanced outputs.

Best regards
Hegel Music System AS
Anders Ertzeid

I will obviously continue to watch this forum, but note that I may not be super fast at answering PM's

Tks

Major Contributor
Hey everone. This is our first posting on this forum.

First of all, thanks to @amirm for doing the review. The mistake on the measurements could really have happened to anyone. And it has. You are in good company. I can tell you that much. We were a bit puzzled when we saw the first post.

For the thoughts on build quality and pricing, that is not our role to discuss. We are very proud of the HD12 and feel that it was well worth the money at the time. But you are the real judges of that.

The thing I wanted to write about is actually the output level on the balanced outputs. They are true electronically balanced outputs. The reason the output is still just 2,5V is that we think it sounds better. With higher output levels you get a better measurement on the DAC alone. But you also have to reduce the volume further in your preamp or amp. That is negative. So that is why we deliberately have a low output level on our balanced outputs.

Thank you for joining. I feel I've been one of the most critical people. As to the measurements, I fired on pretense of original measurements, which have been shown not to be the potentially best possible performance from this product. Like Amir I can and should retract such a harsh interpretation of the overall product in that respect, and out of that respect.

The build quality (especially with the remote and such) critiques I feel still stand firmly, but as you say - you feel that was to your satisfaction, let consumers judge.

One thing I am pleasantly surprised to hear, is the power output was purposefully quelled. I suffer from this issue on nearly all devices. I've said it countless times, that I feel people on audio forums and such that talk about "headroom" and "power" and how they need such, are possibly suffering from some sort of hearing loss, or just have some sort of taste of being overwhelmed by volume. Most of my devices are not being used anywhere near their full power. Seeing as how this is a headphone product, I 100% like the fact that you chose this route for power delivery operation. 4V+ feels like overkill to my ears, heck even 2V does as well. Having to fire at full output to maintain best performance at something like 4V is pretty self defeating for someone who feels as I do. And pretty much a waste. So in that regard, nice attention to detail.

Again, thanks for joining. Not many companies will stand behind their products when scrutiny and testing is performed on them, especially not when it doesn't paint the best picture about the product's potential other offerings.

Only thing I'm hopeful in the future is more detailed specifications of your products, or perhaps yourselves submitting it to amir for review/testing at the very least.

Top Bottom