• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel HD12 DSD DAC And Headphone Amp Review

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question about noise modulation
Measuring dynamic range the standard way doesn't reveal this problem:

index.php

So noise must be going up with the amplitude of signal (noise modulation).
But in IMD graph, we see noise following level.
The high noise floor comes to surface in IMD distortion test relative to level:

index.php

It's high, for sure, but pretty linear vs level.
So what does this mean?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's high, for sure, but pretty linear vs level.
That's because the input signal keeps getting higher so the ratio becomes smaller. You almost always see that relationship.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you test SPDIF or AES/EBU?
At least the dashboard, to be sure this is not a USB-specific error. (Although in that case, we'd rather see distortion, not noise, I guess. Except if there is some form of signal truncation?)

gvl

Major Contributor
Based on AK4399, -105dB THD+N is the spec, performance is worse but not terribly so.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
(on testing S/PDIF)
No. They hardly get used these days so I don't bother testing them.

What devices other than PC/Smartphone/Tablet have USB outputs?

I use S/PDIF, even the USB from the PC gets converted via a D10 (I gave away the Signstek to Audio buddy so he could do some measures, and he needed S/PDIF).

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Though I would never buy this dac, I have to say I use spdif all the time. It's convenient, free of ground loop and pc power supply noise. I don't have to install 10s of drivers to test dacs. Just plug into the spdif and they will make sound in less than half a second.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They do spec 2.5V output on the website: https://www.hegel.com/products/discontinued/hd12

My TEAC UD-H01 specifies 2.0V on XLR and RCA alike. Must be a design choice.

An open-case pic from one of the paid advertisers reviewers shows that weird foam strip too. Guess it's part of the design for some reason:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0115/Hegel_HD12_DAC_inside_large.jpg
That is a "can't be arsed to put a top fixing" rattle stopping foam strip if I'm not mistaken.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is disappointing. Even though I assume this dac is audibly transparent, like almost all non-esoteric dacs made these days, I still thought that Hegel was an engineering-based company more or less similar to Benchmark, which tried to push for the ultimate when it comes to performance.

I would be interested in having reps from the company chime in. Their claim about the noise floor in this device being 145 db down doesn't seen to hold true.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their claim about the noise floor in this device being 145 db down doesn't seen to hold true.
With 24 bits having maximum theoretical resolution of 144dB, without dithering, that seems hard to achieve anyway. Not to speak about analog noise.

th0m

Very interesting. Makes me wonder how the "other" Norwegian brand Electrocompaniet would do in a test like this. I have been looking for a used ECD 2 DAC for a while, simply because it would match my EC amp, but it would be nice to see some trustworthy measurements first. At least Electrocompaniet amps have been used in some pretty serious studio settings in the past so I have a feeling they would be the more "scientific" of the two.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting. Makes me wonder how the "other" Norwegian brand Electrocompaniet would do in a test like this. I have been looking for a used ECD 2 DAC for a while, simply because it would match my EC amp, but it would be nice to see some trustworthy measurements first. At least Electrocompaniet amps have been used in some pretty serious studio settings in the past so I have a feeling they would be the more "scientific" of the two.

Internally in Norway at least I would say that Hegel has a much more science-oriented reputation than Electrocompaniet.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In an era where you can access transparent digital to analogue conversion and headphone application for peanuts the only real reason for high end audio DACs and headphone amplifiers to exist is premium industrial design and quality. If they can't get that right I see no reason for such products to exist.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir, looking at the top spectrum graph there seems to be no reason for the SINAD to be that low (93 dB)
Highest peak is -112 dB and the noise floor looks low enough... Any idea?

1575295791645.png

Top Bottom