• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am, somehow, not surprised. Still I wonder what Hegel's reasoning is? I am sure they have very talented people working there who could easily churn out a high performing device, yet they choose not to. Perplexing.
How is it even possible to take a modern DAC chip and build something around it that yields a SINAD below 70 db. I have to think someone was actually trying to do that. And if we could find two strong men to hold that person down while I injected the Pentothol into his corotid, we might all know why.

maty

Major Contributor
[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/3327-hegel-h95

To English with Google

hegel-95.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/3327-hegel-h95

To English with Google

View attachment 167989
Which very much matches mine:

1637830536398.png

I have circled 5 watt output. It corresponds to 0.025% (4 ohm) which is what I measured. As I noted earlier, the problem with these measurements is that there is no comparison. Without comparison, who will remember 0.025% from 0.001%?

peanuts

They must have a good PR group pushing their wares. I found it odd that Hegel came out of nowhere a few years ago and suddenly became every YouTubers’ darling.
actually hegel has been around for a long time. i was at a private lecture held by the founder Bent Holter over 15 years ago.

filo97s

Even before the measurements, only two analog inputs on a 2000$ integrated is simply not acceptable.
Denon PMA-1600NE has the same digital inputs plus 4 analog in (of which one is the phono), same with the way cheaper Cambridge CXA81 which sports also a balanced input and the bluetooth. If I buy an integrated and not a power amp, I'm expecting a variety of inputs that the Hegel doesn't deliver.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
I just wonder why KEF or Harbeth use Hegel gear at the audio shows? Is it possible that more expensive models (>H120) measure better? H120 has AK4490EQ chip. Not bad DAC at all.

I have the answer to it !
Actually i found it in "The Founder". It's all about names! How could a gear by Hegel not be philosophically superior to all the rest...

pma

Major Contributor
Did you see the Sound Engine 2 IC that they added to the amp circuitry? The way he describes the thing is, it uses feedback to cancel out unwanted stuff. A in-house

Fancy story is a must in audio :). It sells. You know, technology is boring for non-technically oriented guys;).

NoSnakeOil2

Yeh, I watched that and it is such nonsense fanboism. For the life of me I can't figure out why Soundstage hired him to do these videos. I don't find him charismatic, knowledgeable or anything positive.
my guess is that he might appeal to a younger demographic.

hch

They must have a good PR group pushing their wares. I found it odd that Hegel came out of nowhere a few years ago and suddenly became every YouTubers’ darling.
When Hegel started out some 20 years ago, they branded themselves as a no nonsense company with a science based approach, coming out of the university system. It would be interesting to see if their current amplifiers are actually worse than their original 20 year old designs.

luknap

Answer from Hegel (official Hegel facebook group):

Measuring audio products is a difficult task. You obviously have to know what you are doing and also have the required knowhow on the subject of the measurements to establish the correct procedure so you don't end up with the misleading results. This "review" gets off on the wrong foot straight away in that respect by measuring the distortion on the variable output at volume level 98. H95 is an integrated amp, not a preamp, so a 2 volt signal on the variable output is outside parameters and will be heavily distorted. This continues with some rather unorthodox measurements and strange results which we of course would like to comment, so please give us some time for a propper response.

You can in the meantime read the lab report from Hi-Fi News & Record Review, which is also done totally independently without any input from us, which I suspect is closer to the truth. Remember that an integrated amp like H95 is designed to play music on a loudspeaker and the proof is always in the pudding.

And from Anders Erdzeid (VP Sales and Marketing):
Just wanted to let you all know that we will be looking in to these measurements ourselves and see if we can replicate somehow.
It is important to say that we are using the best possible measurement tools from Audio Precision at our development center in Oslo, and take very much care in measurements during R&D for Hegel products. Of course especially in terms of distortion. We will come back with more info once we know.

buzwork

I am genuinely curious when I see stuff with obviously audible flaws. How does it sounds to you? Where you expecting those resusts?
It is a good sounding amp. I have no complaints about the performance. The pre-out situation is really annoying and has been noted by others with the amp.

IMHO, although it measured relatively poorly, it's not "obviously audible". It's clean, neutral and basic. Do I regret purchasing it? Yeah, I do and I wouldn't purchase it again. Will I keep it? Yup.

It sounds much better than my Loxjie A30 but not $1300 better, obviously.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for posting their response. On this bit:
H95 is an integrated amp, not a preamp, so a 2 volt signal on the variable output is outside parameters and will be heavily distorted.
I wonder what they think the purpose of a line out is, if it is not to buffer and be able to produce a measly 2 volt output. Line out would be used for an external amplifier these days so it would be acting as a pre-amp output anyway.

Regardless, if line out has such bad limitation, it should be documented and specified clearly.

brimble

Forum Donor

I wonder what they think the purpose of a line out is, if it is not to buffer and be able to produce a measly 2 volt output. Line out would be used for an external amplifier these days so it would be acting as a pre-amp output anyway.

Regardless, if line out has such bad limitation, it should be documented and specified clearly.

> I wonder what they think the purpose of a line out is

That's what I was wondering.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Looking at the manual (which contains a handful of photos of people in the mountains for some reason), the only time it mentioned the line-outs is for subwoofer usage. And their webpage states “a variable pre output for connecting a subwoofer or other equipment,”. If Hegel really did intend for this to be mostly for subwoofers, they should have labeled it as a sub out, as not sure what “other equipment” means other than a power amp unless meaning an analog recorder.

In any regard, even if amp distortion at 1% is used, it’s still just 100W into 4ohm, I’d like to see more than that for $2000.

Hegel‘s product page claims their special feedback tech does wonders for demanding bass notes (they state this for why 60W is enough); the SINAD vs Hz chart it does indeed perform well at 20Hz, as for some amps measured they indeed run out of steam at 20Hz, though even the recently measured Topping & SMSL desktop amps perform just as well at 20Hz, so not really a huge hurdle.

Last edited:

buzwork

I was pretty pissed off with the line out and ended up adding a Martin Logan Unison (connected to the Hegel via optical) and using ARC and the Unison's pre-outs connected to my sub (tried both SVS 3000 Micro and SB1000 Pro). The Unison (AKA Paradigm PW-Link) doesn't measure very well either so it's kind of a cluster fuck of regret. At least I have a passable room correction option.

Oh well.

On the the other hand, it's not a piece of trash. I've had my share of amps and it is, subjectively, one of the better sounding integrated amps I've owned. There is no coloration or other audible anomalies, period.

But, clearly, it's not worth the MSRP (which I didn't pay, btw; it was considerably less).

Lero

Oh BoY! This guy is going to be eating his words, "The DA converter is massively improved" "Much more expensive DAC" " DAC is the same as in the H120 and the H190" "AKM DAC chip" "H95 is revealing more detail, is more fluid, more musical than the H90, paints a bigger soundstage, so you can really hear the flow wide and deep of the speakers" and blah blah he goes on and on.
This guy is a goof.
dz0xMjAwJmg9OTc0_src_63549-hegel-h95-audiocompl-fot3.jpg
people still trying to sell bs like this... i really fear for his friends and family....

pma

Major Contributor
Terrible results. I wonder if there is at least some fancy design story behind the product. Maybe somebody of Hegel could join us and tell :).

Answer from Hegel (official Hegel facebook group):

Measuring audio products is a difficult task. You obviously have to know what you are doing and also have the required knowhow on the subject of the measurements to establish the correct procedure so you don't end up with the misleading results. This "review" gets off on the wrong foot straight away in that respect by measuring the distortion on the variable output at volume level 98. H95 is an integrated amp, not a preamp, so a 2 volt signal on the variable output is outside parameters and will be heavily distorted. This continues with some rather unorthodox measurements and strange results which we of course would like to comment, so please give us some time for a propper response.

You can in the meantime read the lab report from Hi-Fi News & Record Review, which is also done totally independently without any input from us, which I suspect is closer to the truth. Remember that an integrated amp like H95 is designed to play music on a loudspeaker and the proof is always in the pudding.

And from Anders Erdzeid (VP Sales and Marketing):
Just wanted to let you all know that we will be looking in to these measurements ourselves and see if we can replicate somehow.
It is important to say that we are using the best possible measurement tools from Audio Precision at our development center in Oslo, and take very much care in measurements during R&D for Hegel products. Of course especially in terms of distortion. We will come back with more info once we know.

So we have a reply, though indirect, I was predicting correctly. It may even start to be interesting ;).

Frankly, I was expecting that it will behave better at lower pre-out level. It is usual. However the power amp results are still not good. There is no excuse for mains residuals and distortion higher than necessary. Be prepared that comments of incompetence will continue on fb. That's business and marketing.

BTW, this is my pending reply to Hegel facebook page

Regardless possible pre-out level issue, the amplifier results are still not good. Mains related spurious components up to -90dBr (5W/4ohm) and H2 and H3 above -90dBr is nothing to call home about. Not a SOTA product, though looking well. It is a chance for Hegel tech. dept. to post their DAC measurements for comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom