• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

Ata

Forum Donor
I thought that odd order versus even order sound quality from harmonics stuff is debunked. The scientists here and others if I remember correctly debunked that stuff.? Perhaps a new thread could be about odd order being better or not.

Seems I may be behind the times on that one, my understanding is that the main tone would mask 2nd harmonic but not 3rd. More stuff to read up on!

pma

Major Contributor
Terrible results. I wonder if there is at least some fancy design story behind the product. Maybe somebody of Hegel could join us and tell :).

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I went to a hifi shop last week for the first time in years. Now that I know a bit better, the owner is more a scammer than someone here to advise you. I got plenty of advises along "this one is of course better but a lot more expensive", "devialet phantom are not very good you should try this XXX thingy", "your Accuphase amplifier is ok but you should try this YYY ones which is much much better". YYY was top of the line Hegel one ...

Thanks to ASR and amirm@ for putting some orders into a crazy audio word and educating people.

rammster

Hegel brand is promoted and popularized as an audiophile grade quality gear with high power, which explains the cost.
And now we see this ((

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow I don't think that's going to happen...
Did you see the Sound Engine 2 IC that they added to the amp circuitry? The way he describes the thing is, it uses feedback to cancel out unwanted stuff. A in-house part.
dz02NjImaD00NDI=_src_63553-hegel-h95-audiocompl-fot6.jpg

Last edited:

JiiPee

A local magazine reviewed recently the H95 against Atoll IN200, NAD C388 and Rotel RA1572MK2. Their measurements were not exactly similar (they measured SNR, THD, IM etc... from speaker outputs using both analog and s/pdif inputs), but as far as I can see, their measurements do not contradict with amirm's measurement. They did not measure/review the headphones amps.

When it came to subjective listening based verdict, the reviewers were quite happy with the Hegel. This made me think, where are the limits in measured deficiencies after which we can reliably hear them? I think it is obvious that the H95 performance s nothing special, especially considering the price, but then again, is it already good enough in the sense that improvements in technical performance would not mean significant improvements in what we can hear?

Now, don't get me wrong. I can appreciate the engineering excellence manifested in an equipment with superior objective measurable performance. I'm just wondering that purely from the listening point of view, where's the level that can be judged as "perfect 10".

NYfan2

Forum Donor
Tons and tons of reviews at YouTube that praise the Hegel amps!!
I'm sure a lot of people bought a Hegel amp because of this :facepalm:

Knipsel.JPG

Amplifier dude

A local magazine reviewed recently the H95 against Atoll IN200, NAD C388 and Rotel RA1572MK2. Their measurements were not exactly similar (they measured SNR, THD, IM etc... from speaker outputs using both analog and s/pdif inputs), but as far as I can see, their measurements do not contradict with amirm's measurement. They did not measure/review the headphones amps.

When it came to subjective listening based verdict, the reviewers were quite happy with the Hegel. This made me think, where are the limits in measured deficiencies after which we can reliably hear them? I think it is obvious that the H95 performance s nothing special, especially considering the price, but then again, is it already good enough in the sense that improvements in technical performance would not mean significant improvements in what we can hear?

Now, don't get me wrong. I can appreciate the engineering excellence manifested in an equipment with superior objective measurable performance. I'm just wondering that purely from the listening point of view, where's the level that can be judged as "perfect 10".
If poor performance is what you’re after, similar measuring Chinese amps can be found for $70.

danielbaen

I bought it a few years ago but the ROST version because I can read if it is improved, I do not want to know mine ...
After a few weeks I saw that I had made a bad purchase ... as a good amplifier but its DAC leaves a lot to be desired and when I connected my high impedance headphones you can even hear the parasitic noise of the amplifier ... a real rubbish!

NHL99

Hi-Fi News 'Outstanding Product'
There's a Lab Report attached to the review, amazingly the engineer doesn't unravel anything of major concern.

xarkkon

Another thing that sucks about this amp is the very low voltage preouts. I had to add a separate preamp to get sufficient signal to my sub.

(The amp reviewed is mine, BTW.)

Regrets… a mistake I can afford, begrudgingly.
-salute- Thank you sir for your sacrifice. For science!

Top Bottom