• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ridiculous reviews. :facepalm:

Reactions: ENG

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
You mean 'advertising copy' :rolleyes: I don't think Hi-Fi Choice has ever awarded less than all 5 stars. Pretty sure Fremer's mother-in-law could produce more meaningful reviews.

DSJR

Major Contributor
With respect chaps and after a couple of heated 'discussions' with my better half over her not using my sound systems (and the fact I seem to have taken too much space with gear and media) -

LOOK at the Hegel models. Semi concealed power switch underneath, two controls only and with a neat display that *anyone* should be able to understand. Turn on, rotate the source knob to select the one you want and then adjust the volyume accordingly. Couldn't be easier and for many of us with lives and partners with no gear-interest, a nigh-on perfect solution I reckon. Forget the preamp outputs on the back (most power amps likely to be used are sensitive enough really) and if the dac isn't as good as the latest Topping £/$200 wonder-box, can anyone really *hear it?*

For decades, I didn't give a s**t what my gear looked like or how the visuals (didn't usually) match together. As long as it 'sounded good' for my budget. I dismissed B&O as 'All show and no go!' and looking back, this opinion was largely unfair as many of their units under the showy skin were highly competent if not actually quite good. I look at my wife's interest in music but total reluctance to even touch my audio gear and I'm deeply sad about that. I WANT her to play more music over a half decent sound system and not to feel intimidated my supposed complexity that 'we' take for granted. I do understand if most of you lot don't agree, as I felt this way half my life ago and just didn't understand back then ;)

The price of the Hegel isn't an obstacle to interested parties either really. 'We' may well look at Cambridge and other simpler less expensive streaming options (not something I currently have need for), but I can think of two UK based companies making easy to use 'solutions' which cost rather more than this basic Hegel unit.

JRiggs

With respect chaps and after a couple of heated 'discussions' with my better half over her not using my sound systems (and the fact I seem to have taken too much space with gear and media) -

LOOK at the Hegel models. Semi concealed power switch underneath, two controls only and with a neat display that *anyone* should be able to understand. Turn on, rotate the source knob to select the one you want and then adjust the volyume accordingly. Couldn't be easier and for many of us with lives and partners with no gear-interest, a nigh-on perfect solution I reckon. Forget the preamp outputs on the back (most power amps likely to be used are sensitive enough really) and if the dac isn't as good as the latest Topping £/$200 wonder-box, can anyone really *hear it?*

For decades, I didn't give a s**t what my gear looked like or how the visuals (didn't usually) match together. As long as it 'sounded good' for my budget. I dismissed B&O as 'All show and no go!' and looking back, this opinion was largely unfair as many of their units under the showy skin were highly competent if not actually quite good. I look at my wife's interest in music but total reluctance to even touch my audio gear and I'm deeply sad about that. I WANT her to play more music over a half decent sound system and not to feel intimidated my supposed complexity that 'we' take for granted. I do understand if most of you lot don't agree, as I felt this way half my life ago and just didn't understand back then ;)

The price of the Hegel isn't an obstacle to interested parties either really. 'We' may well look at Cambridge and other simpler less expensive streaming options (not something I currently have need for), but I can think of two UK based companies making easy to use 'solutions' which cost rather more than this basic Hegel unit.
What? ‍

DSJR

Major Contributor
What? ‍
Look at the market. people who want good basic 'more than good enough' performance in a simple to use box and who have ample money to spend. They're not chasing SINAD (or spectacular Klippel either) and probably don't know what that is. I can't say any of you will agree, but this audio tribe here is but a tiny tiny niche in a larger domestic audio niche I'm afraid ;)

I'll get out of my hole now before I'm in so deep I can't get out :D

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Those ‘people’ probably wouldn’t buy Hegel if they were aware of its technical shortcomings.
Keith

Everett T

Forum Donor
Look at the market. people who want good basic 'more than good enough' performance in a simple to use box and who have ample money to spend. They're not chasing SINAD (or spectacular Klippel either) and probably don't know what that is. I can't say any of you will agree, but this audio tribe here is but a tiny tiny niche in a larger domestic audio niche I'm afraid ;)

I'll get out of my hole now before I'm in so deep I can't get out :D
The CI market basically confirms this, where electronics routinely cost as much or more then the speakers sold sold to the consumer.

Geert

Major Contributor
people who want good basic 'more than good enough' performance in a simple to use box and who have ample money to spend
These people don't spend close to 2k on an amp, and they don't need to. A Bluesound Powernode does the job for half the money and has better looks.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluesound Powernode
Problem is it tests badly as well.

JRiggs

Problem is it tests badly as well.
Those are not reviews of the PowerNode.

Reactions: ENG

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AnderS52

Why is the review still out, when the Line outs could not provide more than 0.55 V, but were driven to 2 V ?
And who in their right mind would set the volume knob at 98/100 when playing music ?
How about testing it at 0.5 v output, or just delete the entire review ?
Of course Hegel should absolutely put limitations of the line outs on spec sheet, because it might limit what you can connect there,
but having such a rigid test procedure, kind of limits the validity of testing it in the first place.

The THD+N 5 watts readings looks absolutely unreal compared to HEgels own in post #467. There is no spikes. Is it the same amp ?
Is it a review, or a political statement ? :) I was looking for a useable AVR, but now i am not sure what to believe.
Maybe there is more apparatus been tested outside their limits ?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is the review still out, when the Line outs could not provide more than 0.55 V, but were driven to 2 V ?
And who in their right mind would set the volume knob at 98/100 when playing music ?
How about testing it at 0.5 v output, or just delete the entire review ?
Of course Hegel should absolutely put limitations of the line outs on spec sheet, because it might limit what you can connect there,
but having such a rigid test procedure, kind of limits the validity of testing it in the first place.

The THD+N 5 watts readings looks absolutely unreal compared to HEgels own in post #467. There is no spikes. Is it the same amp ?
Is it a review, or a political statement ? :) I was looking for a useable AVR, but now i am not sure what to believe.
Maybe there is more apparatus been tested outside their limits ?
I think the question is rather:
Why is Hegel not explaining clearly that the analog out can't be use to feed a normal amp since its output level is too low ?

And I dont know you, but there are other concerning issues highlighted by this review.
Like the stability (although contested by Hegel). The bad jitter. Some concerning issues with the linearity. And the weak headphones amp that will not drive low impedance headphones loud enough.

And if you read the Hegel users comments after the review, you'll see that matches their complaints.

(By the way, thanks to linking to Hegel's comment on page 24. I was not ready to scroll through the 69 pages of comments)

Last edited:

AnderS52

So you would say the review is perfect ? I am asking the wrong questions ?
One should perhaps not ask any questions, but just accept.
I have mentioned 2 subjects, referring to other issues does not do much for these 2
afaik Hegel explain that the amp is clipping at level 98 when trying to output 2 volts, it _can_ still be used though.
The line out can in fact be used to feed every amp on the planet, but will distort above 0.55 v out
How much power you get from 0.55 depends on your amp.
You could use an amp that need 3 volts, but never play louder than 0.49, it would never be a problem.
Have you tried matching gain on a car sub amp ?
You set your headunit to whatever maximum level before clipping you can get, and then 1-2 clicks down, then adjust gain to match.
You would not turn it to 98 just to get 2 volts, unless you knew it could in fact provide 2 clean volts.
I am not looking to get 2 volts, but good sound. Some make 2, others dont.
And if you test an amp outside its limitations on 2 tests, who is to say the rest of the tests are 100% ?
What if you were to test an power amplifier, that had input sensitivity of 1 V, giving rated output at maximum attenuation ?
Would you then feed it 2 V and tell everybody it is crap ?
Yes, it is very unpractical to have an output or input that does not adhere to common rules, but there must be a better way than simply just close your eyes.
You see, its not a measurement you can use to judge the sound quality anymore, when performed like this.
Its akin to run a car off a cliff and say that the suspension wasn't very good.

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
So you would say the review is perfect ? I am asking the wrong questions ?
One should perhaps not ask any questions, but just accept.
I have mentioned 2 subjects, referring to other issues does not do much for these 2
afaik they explain that the amp is clipping at level 98 when trying to output 2 volts, it _can_ still be used though.
He literally posed a question.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The line out can in fact be used to feed every amp on the planet, but will distort above 0.55 v out
But that's exactly what Amir explains:
"Saturation around -11dBFS"
"This is something we see in Audio/Video receivers where they set the optimal gain to drive their amplifiers and not the 2 volts we are looking for."

If you know how to read the charts, that's pretty clear.

And still, the noise is very high (and that has nothing to do with the saturation)..
When sweeping IMD distortion level, we can see part of the problem:

Hegel H95 Measurements Coax In IMD DAC Line Out Streamer DAC.png

This is something we see in Audio/Video receivers where they set the optimal gain to drive their amplifiers and not the 2 volts we are looking for. Even then performance is not good, barely showing less noise than a $9 phone dongle! We can measure the noise itself:

Hegel H95 Measurements DNR Coax In In DAC Line Out Streamer DAC.png

This is horrid performance in any modern DAC.

This analog output is a throw away. A last minute marketing addition. Hegel themselves, in the post you refer, admit it.
Since, it may be a purchase decision factor for some. So, at least, you expect Hegel to specify its limitations in the specs.
But there is nothing about it.

And, by the way, it's not just by accident: If that was, the first thing they would have done was to add a warning in the specs on their web page after seing this review.

This is a 2k device !
And it is also meant for some very simple and specialized tasks.

It has so many weak performances area that this can't just be pushed away because you don't like the test methodology.

And what could be understood (if not forgiven) on a very complex multifunction device like a 12 channels AVR is completely inacceptable from a simple audiophile targeted amp.

This review is very useful.
That's my opinion.

Last edited:

Riva

Hey has anyone done a review here of the h390 or h590? I’m considering the h390 because of the reviews I’ve heard, but this review of the lesser amp gives me pause.

Top Bottom