• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

SwampYankee

If I can't trust my own ears why am I spending a small fortune on a system? ... As long as we keep asking questions products will keep improving, at least I hope so.
It's great if you have equipment you enjoy. This forum shouldn't diminish your satisfaction. I find value in objective measurements and it sounds like you do, as well.

The points of contention swirl around why you or others enjoy what you enjoy. There's an expectation at ASR that differences in perceived sound attributed to equipment should be measurable. If they aren't, the working assumption is that the perceived difference is attributable to perceptual bias and not an actual difference in the fidelity of music reproduced by the component or system. I am generally in this camp.

"Component matching" carries some baggage in the subjective vs. objective debates among audio clans. Though outside the range of this thread, double blind testing would be one way of assessing whether the improvements you perceive through component matching are consistently discernible in un-sighted listening conditions. The same is true for objectivists/subjectivists who perceive differences in sound based any other factors, such as interconnect cables, crossover component choices, or minor differences in SINAD, impulse response, etc. The reality is that DBT is a major pain in the butt to execute and is very labor intensive. There's a lot of data available from the folks who have done DBT, but its not a practical tool to assess all components...much less the myriad potential combinations of those components.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I don't believe I can personally hear the differences among properly functioning, competently designed amps, DACs, etc. I haven't done DBT to verify that, but my confidence is enough for me to make audio decisions that scratch my personal itches. That's enough for me.

steve59

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When you say component matching, are you referring to things like voltage gain?
I think maybe? I know some speakers will suck an amp dry and cause less than linear response, or the salon 2 need a lot of power for the bass to show any dynamics. That said I expect some designers do 'voice' their products to sound different so customers will notice them in an audition.

Luchadorconan

Yeh, I watched that and it is such nonsense fanboism. For the life of me I can't figure out why Soundstage hired him to do these videos. I don't find him charismatic, knowledgeable or anything positive.
What does this have to do with your so called objective measurements? I know a lot of folks question your methods, but to me the worst part of your reviews are your lapdogs. They don’t need any encouragement to be horrible. If you’re going to espouse objectivism, you might want to stay away from tearing people down.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
What does this have to do with your so called objective measurements? I know a lot of folks question your methods, but to me the worst part of your reviews are your lapdogs. They don’t need any encouragement to be horrible. If you’re going to espouse objectivism, you might want to stay away from tearing people down.
I see a very different style here.
Yours is "Lapdogs" (names please).
Amir's is " I don't find him charismatic".
Well, the style contest has an easy winner, from an objectivist point of view

Orak

Looking at the inside of a Hegel amplifier that should tell you all you need to know just a rats nest of wires to make them quick to construct .They need to look at Naim amps for a clue how its done its just unacceptable i would not sleep at night knowing i had wired an like that.

steve59

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I sleep like a baby. My h360 was a store demo when I bought it, stays on 24/7

Top Bottom