• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

gallantus

People can't have different aesthetic or other tastes?
I say yes, of course.

But if sound is the one and only goal then only if it measures just as good. (If the statement that specs alone determines the sound quality is true.)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I say yes, of course.

But if sound is the one and only goal then only if it measures just as good. (If the statement that specs alone determines the sound quality is true.)

I cheated and edited my post above, but not in time...

It doesn't have to measure just as well, it just has to be below audible levels. That's the thing...stuff has to be pretty bad before it's noticeable when listening to music. I can hear a very faint background hum on the Luxman when I turn it WAY up, but don't hear it at all under normal use, even in quiet parts.

gallantus

That's the crux of this site for me. Confidence that I'm allocating whatever money I have wisely. And confidence that brands we'd never heard of a few years back are both trustworthy and of high performance.

Absolutely invaluable.
I agreed, but to play devil's advocate, measurement doesn't say anything about the built quality, nor does it tell anything about the ownership experience.

Case in point, I have few SMSL units. Superb measuring gear, but the ones I have have quality issues. And. . .the ownership experience would have been shit if it wasn't for the fact that I got them at Apos.

gallantus

I cheated and edited my post above, but not in time...

It doesn't have to measure just as well, it just has to be below audible levels. That's the thing...stuff has to be pretty bad before it's noticeable when listening to music. I can hear a very faint background hum on the Luxman when I turn it WAY up, but don't hear it at all under normal use, even in quiet parts.

I 100% agreed with you. I asked a question essentially bringing this point up. See below, not that I am saying you agree to the below statement.

Let me give you an example of why I have a hard time going strictly by measurements. I own the LKS MH-DA004 (didn't have my Topping D90SE yet) and I read the measurement on the Schiit Yggy, it was shit. My friend owns it and I was talking to him about how bad it measures, he said, how about I let you borrow it and you give it a listen. So I borrowed it, and to no surprise, it did not come as good as my LKS. The LKS was clearer and more detail, by a smidgen because my human ears just aren't that great (I am not sure if it was all in my head and it was confirmation bias). But get this, the Yggy had awesome holography (or 3D soundstage), I never expected it and the holography was very addictive. I did a pseudo ABX, 5 out of 5 times, I was able to identified which one is which. The Yggy's holography almost put it on par with my LKS. At the end, I did prefer my LKS, probably because of more bias. This experience was eye opening for me (ok, maybe a little bit of exaggeration). So my point is, can measurements alone be the judge of sound and preference? For me personally, at this point, as a trained engineer, I need to look at specs, but I can't just buy based on specs and measurements alone, I need to audition it.

2) Can a equipment sound good, if they don't measure as good as another equipment, especially you can't hear the diffrence if you hit a threshold of what human hearing can hear?
I have never seen this after testing nearly 1000 products. Impairments are either not audible or degrade the sound. I think vast if not all of the people who think equipment has some flavor due to distortion are wrong. They are not performing controlled testing where all variables other than sound is removed. If they do this, the difference they think they hear disappears.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be careful purchasing solely based on measurements. The SINAD measurement doesn't tell you about the distracting pops the unit makes in your speakers when turning the unit on/off. Or the extra noise it generates in your speakers when switching between streaming albums. Or that the remote is so poor it barely works if it's not laser focused on the DAC. Or how the optical or coax connections don't work with your TV. I experienced all these issues with the top rated D90SE and none of these issues with the poorly rated Hegel. And when I can't hear a difference - the usability of the device is more important to me. I would love to see these types of usability issues included in reviews, but they're not so I learn the hard way. :D

Last edited:

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So my point is, can measurements alone be the judge of sound and preference?
Don’t confuse measurement results and preference. You can prefer anything you like and, apart from a few ankle-biters around here, no one will have any issue with that. Our preferences are all unique. However, given that, the only way to assess equipment is through standardized, objective measurement.

Now, I have recently realized that I may prefer my speakers slightly bright. Therefore, I could go around and audition dozens of speakers to try to find ones to match my preferences, but the easier thing to do (in my opinion) is to buy something neutral and use DRC to match my personal preference. However, if my mate comes and sits in my chair and listens to my speakers, he is well within his right to tell me that they sound like crap, because to him (and perhaps to most people) they would. However, I prefer them like this.

D

Deleted member 23424

Case in point, I have few SMSL units. Superb measuring gear, but the ones I have have quality issues. And. . .the ownership experience would have been shit if it wasn't for the fact that I got them at Apos.
Yeah, but now I know not to buy said SMSL units thanks to your wallet. See, I'm spending my money wisely. Unlike you. Thanks for that.

gallantus

I would be careful purchasing solely based on measurements. The SINAD measurement doesn't tell you about the distracting pops the unit makes in your speakers when turning the unit on/off. Or the extra noise it generates in your speakers when switching between streaming albums. Or that the remote is so poor that it barely works if it's not laser focused on the DAC. Or how the optical or coax connections don't work with your TV. I experienced all these issues with the top rated D90SE and none of these issues with the poorly rated Hegel. And when I can't hear a difference - the usability of the device is more important to me. I would love to see these types of usability issues included in reviews, but they're not so I learn the hard way. :D
I 100% get your point and I agree. Though I have no experience with any Hegel and my own experience with the Topping D90SE so far is flawless, no issues what so ever. But experience with the D70 was a different story.

gallantus

Don’t confuse measurement results and preference. You can prefer anything you like and, apart from a few ankle-biters around here, no one will have any issue with that. Our preferences are all unique. However, given that, the only way to assess equipment is through standardized, objective measurement.

Now, I have recently realized that I may prefer my speakers slightly bright. Therefore, I could go around and audition dozens of speakers to try to find ones to match my preferences, but the easier thing to do (in my opinion) is to buy something neutral and use DRC to match my personal preference. However, if my mate comes and sits in my chair and listens to my speakers, he is well within his right to tell me that they sound like crap, because to him (and perhaps to most people) they would. However, I prefer them like this.
Right, then I go back to my point, I personally, can't just look at measurements alone and be done. Even for solid state electronics.

BTW, I am no means defending Hegel or anything, I have never experienced a Hegel. And I am not saying measurements aren't important, because it is super important. But is measurement the final say? The end all and be all?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I 100% get your point and I agree. Though I have no experience with any Hegel and my own experience with the Topping D90SE so far is flawless, no issues what so ever. But experience with the D70 was a different story.

So here we are talking about all the issues that have zero to do with sound quality. ;)

I am all about exploring usability issues, as well as things like how a volume knob feels (best thing about the Luxman...as well as the Devialet remote.) We all have what floats our boats, and I can give up some measurement excellence, which I won't hear, for what I simply like.

Regarding the Yggy, might be interesting for you and your friend do do a real controlled AB/X. My *guess* is that the differences won't seem nearly as clear, but I may be surprised.

I have the Freya S, and like it a lot by the way. Bought it solely on the review here. Great preamp.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So here we are talking about all the issues that have zero to do with sound quality. ;)

I am all about exploring usability issues, as well as things like how a volume knob feels (best thing about the Luxman...as well as the Devialet remote.) We all have what floats our boats, and I can give up some measurement excellence, which I won't hear, for what I simply like.

Regarding the Yggy, might be interesting for you and your friend do do a real controlled AB/X. My *guess* is that the differences won't seem nearly as clear, but I may be surprised.

I have the Freya S, and like it a lot by the way. Bought it solely on the review here. Great preamp.
Speaking of preamps and volume knobs, what's up with the Topping Pre90? It's volume knob makes a fairly loud click with each 1/2 dB step. You can hear it clicking 10 feet away when using the remote to change the volume. It's really annoying and the weirdest design flaw I have seen in awhile. Who wants to hear a clicking sound in their music each time you turn it up? :facepalm:

gallantus

A controlled true ABX is hard. Here is why, 1) if have to make sure if you are using balanced both need to be balanced, many preamps and amp only have one set of balanced input. 2) you have to adjust the volume to be the same, so now you need a DBA meter. 3) by the time you do all of that, maybe 5 to 10 mins have passed? It's very hard to trust your brain to compare anything with that long passage of time.

My psuedo ABX was, used RCA on both, connect my computer to both DAC via USB, use a post it to mark the volume position of each DAC. Then blind fold and have my wife switch back and forth. Even with that, there is a 30 sec delay, but I did manage to pass 5/5.

gallantus

Speaking of preamps and volume knobs, what's up with the Topping Pre90? It's volume knob makes a fairly loud click with each 1/2 dB step. You can hear it clicking 10 feet away when using the remote to change the volume. It's really annoying and the weirdest design flaw I have seen in awhile. Who wants to hear a clicking sound in their music each time you turn it up? :facepalm:
We should have @amirm measure that too!

:p

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Isn't that just the stepped relay doing its thing? It's the same as the Freya. Some don't like it. I don't mind at all...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is why I say that. If that comment is true, then there is no need for anyone to audtion any amp, they simply just have to go online find the best spec'ed amp (in this case, it would be the Benchmark AHB2) and the sound will 100% sound the best when compared to any other amp. You are now done, nothing else to do. It also means all of these HiFi makers should just close their doors, because everyone should just buy the Benchmark preamp and amp, and the Topping DAC.
You answered why there is room for many more companies. Features, price, availability, looks, cost, etc. all remain important.

For me personally, I like to have a more powerful amplifier than Benchmark. So I would sacrifice of some SINAD to get more power in the forum of Hypex NC400 for example.

Above aside, you would have a superb system in the form of Benchmark amp and DAC from Topping. You could buy them once and not worry again whether you are missing anything as far as performance. If something doesn't sound good, it is your speaker, lack of EQ, or your content.

gallantus

You answered why there is room for many more companies. Features, price, availability, looks, cost, etc. all remain important.

For me personally, I like to have a more powerful amplifier than Benchmark. So I would sacrifice of some SINAD to get more power in the forum of Hypex NC400 for example.

Above aside, you would have a superb system in the form of Benchmark amp and DAC from Topping. You could buy them once and not worry again whether you are missing anything as far as performance. If something doesn't sound good, it is your speaker, lack of EQ, or your content.
I understand your perspective. For me, there is a part of me, wanting and needing to audition to confirm and to hear it first hand. Features, looks, etc aside, it's hard for me (and for most) to just buy based on the measurements alone. Though the measurements should be respectable first before I give it time. However, for this Hegel, I might give it an chance only because there any many others who say good things about it. As an example, the Yggy example I used few post back, it had 3D soundstage that was super addictive to me (which is about all it has going for it when compared to my LKS) despite it's terrible measurements.

Edit: BTW I have no experience with any Hegel and I sincerely doubt it can out do my Yamaha A-S series but if there are just so many positive reviews for me to outright dismiss it.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally OT but what issues did you have with the D70? I've had no issues w/ it, but can't say the same w/ the E30 (pops w/ rate change).

JiiPee

I think it comes back to this: Does it matter if amp A has 10dB better measured THD+N than amp B, if You can't hear the difference? To some hardcore objectivists, it apparently matters, and that's ok. To each his own.

Similarily, to some subjectivists it does matter that the amp B has been declared better by a self-proclaimed HiFi Guru, even if there is no tangible evidence supporting the claim. No problem. May he live long and prosper.

Top Bottom