• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People who buy tube amps don’t know any better or else they wouldn’t buy tube amps.
That's not very nice to say.

The best engineering is the engineering that results in the best performance.
? I think Toyota would disagree.

Otherwise it’s just abstract art. Which could be beautiful in anyones eyes regardless of performance.
Which is also a very valid reason to purchase a mechanical object. For the art and craftsmanship.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They aren’t in the same market. The Chinese sell direct to consumer, and use forums like this to advertise. Hegel sells through a distributor/dealer network, and sells products based on in person audition.
That’s just a distribution method, not a market. The market is people buying the actual products. Fact is that the Chinese companies have eroded market share from the established brands. It’s no longer the only option to buy from an established brand in some audio store.

Amplifier dude

That's not very nice to say.

? I think Toyota would disagree.

Which is also a very valid reason to purchase a mechanical object. For the art and craftsmanship.
It’s the truth. You’d never make it in the audio industry without knowing the market. And you don’t learn the market without studying the market. So after you conduct a 27 year audio market research campaign like I’ve done, come back and let’s have a conversation.

Amplifier dude

That’s just a distribution method, not a market. The market is people buying the actual products. Fact is that the Chinese companies have eroded market share from the established brands. It’s no longer the only option to buy from an established brand in some audio store.
Well the dealer market is going to completely fail soon. So either way unless you’re doing something different good luck.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It sounds good. Sensible attitude. I do not know if I think Hegel is that cool but you seem to be.:)

By the way. Norway has created a lot of good things, for example

Decent engineers and good boat builders are my neighbors.

I was on a kick for a while listening to your more distant neighbor composers clustered around the Gulf of Riga.

Unground

Well there you go guys. This is why there’s a market for this shit. Put the money into the case rather than whats inside it, and you can charge 10x more. Real time lesson for those following this thread.
Actually I don’t think that’s the reason there is market for this kind of product. @watchnerd is making informed purchasing choices. He/she knows that a particular technical benefit could be bought for (much) less money than they are spending, but decides to spend additionally to get an aesthetic benefit. Fine by me.

I don’t believe most of the market does that, because most people don’t have the level of discretionary spend required to render the ‘aesthetic premium’ immaterial, bearing in mind this premium is likely significantly more than the (non-aesthetic) utility cost as a proportion of the selling price. And in any case that’s not how non-pro audio products are marketed by the manufacturers or the YouTube shills. If a product were promoted with something like ‘Our new Jizzmeister Carbon Turbo X amp sounds the same as a product costing one tenth the price, but shit man it looks effing amazing!!’ then that would be fine. Mechanical watch manufacturers do this. They promote aesthetics, craftsmanship, exclusivity, luxury and similar, without claiming technical superiority over a $5 quartz.

There is a big difference between the above approach and the delusional film-flammery that pervades audio, whereby punters are persuaded to spend their hard-earned on technically inferior products that claim to be technically superior, with the explanation of technical superiority being clouded in fluff and honey. Sadly most people, me included, are not educated buyers, and so seek the wisdom of experts. When the experts give used car salespeople a bad name, that’s my issue. Not people knowingly ‘over-spending’ money they can afford on stuff that makes them feel good.

Amplifier dude

Actually I don’t think that’s the reason there is market for this kind of product. @watchnerd is making informed purchasing choices. He/she knows that a particular technical benefit could be bought for (much) less money than they are spending, but decides to spend additionally to get an aesthetic benefit. Fine by me.

I don’t believe most of the market does that, because most people don’t have the level of discretionary spend required to render the ‘aesthetic premium’ immaterial, bearing in mind this premium is likely significantly more than the (non-aesthetic) utility cost as a proportion of the selling price. And in any case that’s not how non-pro audio products are marketed by the manufacturers or the YouTube shills. If a product were promoted with something like ‘Our new Jizzmeister Carbon Turbo X amp sounds the same as a product costing one tenth the price, but shit man it looks effing amazing!!’ then that would be fine. Mechanical watch manufacturers do this. They promote aesthetics, craftsmanship, exclusivity, luxury and similar, without claiming technical superiority over a $5 quartz.

There is a big difference between the above approach and the delusional film-flammery that pervades audio, whereby punters are persuaded to spend their hard-earned on technically inferior products that claim to be technically superior, with the explanation of technical superiority being clouded in fluff and honey. Sadly most people, me included, are not educated buyers, and so seek the wisdom of experts. When the experts give used car salespeople a bad name, that’s my issue. Not people knowingly ‘over-spending’ money they can afford on stuff that makes them feel good.
All that may be true. But it’s not the popular belief around here. Otherwise this forum wouldn’t be so popular.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If a product were promoted with something like ‘Our new Jizzmeister Carbon Turbo X amp sounds the same as a product costing one tenth the price, but shit man it looks effing amazing!!’ then that would be fine.

Even before the ASR review, I ruled out Hegel because they didn't look good enough.

If someone made a DAC that looked like a Nagra for half the price, and had the performance of a Schiit Modius, I'd be all over it. ;)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I was on a kick for a while listening to your more distant neighbor composers clustered around the Gulf of Riga.
Aha, that sounds interesting.

Speaking of previously mentioned Vikings. The Norwegians ravaged to the west, we to the east (roughly...Riga is located east of Sweden).

It was OT. Back to that Hegel.:)

Amplifier dude

Actually I think that’s exactly why this forum is so popular. If non-pro audio were marketed honestly, this forum would not be needed.
Yes marketing is the problem. The consumer believes what they’re marketed. It’s cheaper to make shittier performing gear. So if you convince the buyer that shittier performance is actually better, you can not only charge more, your manufacturing cost is less. 2 birds with 1 stone. That’s the Hegel formula. And why they’ve been so successful.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Aha, that sounds interesting.

Speaking of previously mentioned Vikings. The Norwegians ravaged to the west, we to the east (roughly).

It was OT. Back to that Hegel.:)

My DNA test that traces through my ancestors from the Shetlands carries the remnants.

But too off topic, although I will plug Peteris Vasks.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually, the U.S. beer is brewed in a style called an “American lager” or an “American light lager.” However, that’s a bit of a misnomer—most Australian, Japanese, Canadian, Mexican, and Central American beers are brewed in this fashion, as are some beers from other countries such as Tsingtao, Singha, and Kingfisher. Heck, even Heineken is close to this style, although more bitter.

I agree. I don't much like the Heineken sold in the U.S. and I think most of the Canadian beers found here are overrated. I've had a few really good Mexican brews -- and IMO both Tsingtao and Kirin are passable. Not much experience with the Aussie imports and I suspect they're not what's actually consumed down under. My favorite is U.S.-brewed Samuel Adams Boston Lager, which despite it branding is a very traditional German-style lager -- so traditional that it can actually be sold as "beer" in Germany. U.S.-brewed Budweiser (and upscale sibling Michelob) aren't considered "beer" in Germany because their ingredients include rice.

Unground

I agree. I don't much like the Heineken sold in the U.S. and I think most of the Canadian beers found here are overrated. I've had a few really good Mexican brews -- and IMO both Tsingtao and Kirin are passable. Not much experience with the Aussie imports and I suspect they're not what's actually consumed down under. My favorite is U.S.-brewed Samuel Adams Boston Lager, which despite it branding is a very traditional German-style lager -- so traditional that it can actually be sold as "beer" in Germany. U.S.-brewed Budweiser (and upscale sibling Michelob) aren't considered "beer" in Germany because their ingredients include rice.
Bud Light is an amazing substance. The only thing I’ve ever had that has negative-taste. Less taste than my mouth or air. Remarkable. See if you can get some Meantime London Lager, or Purity Lawless unfiltered lager. IMO a good lager has more taste than the plethora of very bitter IPAs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite is U.S.-brewed Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Samuel Adams saved my beer drinking butt when I was in California the last time. That's all I drank. I prefer a dark thick porter but it was good stuff.

Amplifier dude

Bud Light is an amazing substance. The only thing I’ve ever had that has negative-taste. Less taste than my mouth or air. Remarkable. See if you can get some Meantime London Lager, or Purity Lawless unfiltered lager. IMO a good lager has more taste than the plethora of very bitter IPAs.
The sign of a good beverage is abstinence of taste.

Top Bottom