• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H160 problem

pchmykh

Hello dear users! Not sure about theme choice, but I need help.
My amplifier generates noises time after time. I’ve made a video for demonstration,
noises can be stable or lower/higher level. Maybe someone is faced with such problem? It literally makes my setup unusable. Thank you!

OP
P

pchmykh

Is that coming out of the speaker or from amp itself?
I believe that sound is coming from Hegel's toroidal transformer. It's audible, and makes impossible to listen music. It can be persistant, or like ocean waves - became louder and silent with cycles of some seconds. From time to time amplifier is silent. I have tried other location to exclude the power source influence, but the problem is still there.
I am far from technical knowledge, I can only guess it reacts to distrortions or noises from AC. :rolleyes:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still under warranty? I had to retire an amp making transformer noises recently (both the unit itself physically as well as making sounds thru the speakers), but it was 35 years out of warranty....

OP
P

pchmykh

Still under warranty? I had to retire an amp making transformer noises recently (both the unit itself physically as well as making sounds thru the speakers), but it was 35 years out of warranty....
No. Sound itself is pleasant for me. At least in sessions without this noise.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Sound itself is pleasant for me. At least in sessions without this noise.

Just noticed they only have 2 year warranties, kind of surprising. Contact them anyways to see what they might be able to do for you?

So in your case it is just emanating from the amp case itself, nothing thru the speakers? How about putting the amp where you can't hear it?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
That sounds like DC from high distortion on your AC power line. Its always possible the transformer is outright faulty with a loose winding internally, but it sounds like DC. If it comes and goes at different times of the day, its more likely to be from your AC power. There are filters to eliminate this and I think Emotiva makes one.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it didn't happen before with his power wonder what changed? Or did this always happen since day 1?

OP
P

pchmykh

If you are comfortable doing this, take the top off and see if you can tighten the bolt holding down the transformer. Sometimes loosening it helps.
Yes, I am, and I've tried this before - doesn't help.

OP
P

pchmykh

Who knows - perhaps someone on the same neighborhood stepdown transformer bought a new air conditioner and the motor is distorting the AC line. Power line issues can be difficult to pin down. Its easy enough to make a DIY DC blocker by putting two capacitors of roughly 4700uF which are rated at least 250 volts (for 120V line) back to back, and in series with the 'hot' AC power lead. There will be a small voltage drop across the capacitors and larger ones can be used if the voltage drop is too much.
Can this device help?
Does it match with specifications?

OP
P

pchmykh

Just noticed they only have 2 year warranties, kind of surprising. Contact them anyways to see what they might be able to do for you?

So in your case it is just emanating from the amp case itself, nothing thru the speakers? How about putting the amp where you can't hear it?
I have contacted Hegel, and they told me this behaviour is ok. But it still makes amp unusable for me :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have contacted Hegel, and they told me this behaviour is ok. But it still makes amp unusable for me :)
Totally agree with you. That amount of noise would have me throwing it in the bin. I've sold many amplifiers because I could hear the transformer lamination buzz, even with loosening/tightening attempts etc. Make sure the top panel is not getting close to the toroidal transformer bolt.

Please try a DC blocker and if that doesn't solve the problem, then tell us. If Hegel think that amount of transformer noise is acceptable, they must be on crack.

OP
P

pchmykh

I am not able to do it myself, I’m not so good at tech. I have asked Hegel for help, but they can’t advise me with certain piece of gear. I have googled audiolab dc block, but Hegel says it is not enough power for H160.
Maybe it is possible to ping me to some specific dc filter?

Last edited:

Audiotone

Did you try to connect the amp elswhere? (family of friends home)
if it has the same problem there, chances are problem is inside the amp and not the mains in your house.

Geert

Major Contributor
If Hegel think that amount of transformer noise is acceptable, they must be on crack.
On crack ... or very smart, asking top dollar for something like this
7.png
Wouldn't come as a surprise if the transform turned out to be low budget also.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having the amp in a cabinet might make the sound louder. It might be better if you put it on top or somewhere else, although of course you might not like that. I hope a DC blocker fixes it for you.

Top Bottom