• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H160 problem

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I am not able to do it myself, I’m not so good at tech. I have asked Hegel for help, but they can’t advise me with certain piece of gear. I have googled audiolab dc block, but Hegel says it is not enough power for H160.
Maybe it is possible to ping me to some specific dc filter?
The Audiolab DC blocker is only rated for 4 amps, which will be too low for power amps with larger transformers.

I built the high power version from ATL for some amps I had at the time and I also built some of the lower power versions for someone else, both worked and stopped the transformers humming.

OP
P

pchmykh

Having the amp in a cabinet might make the sound louder. It might be better if you put it on top or somewhere else, although of course you might not like that. I hope a DC blocker fixes it for you.
No, furniture doesn't affects loudness. Just looks like Hegel using low quality parts. So sad they telling it is ok for their products. But, anyway, it was very expensive purchase for me, so I have to look for solution.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Can this device help?
Does it match with specifications?
That appears to be one of the devices intended to block DC from your power line. While no device short of a regenerator will eliminate the distortion of the AC waveform, DC blockers will eliminate the buzz in power transformers if indeed DC is present on your power line.

DSJR

Major Contributor
If you think Hegel use low quality parts DON'T EVER buy a Naim!!!!! They're a bit better these days but classic era stuff used to sound off like a buzz-saw and it was so bad, they made a positive out of it by saying they were 'reproducing' how bad the mains was..... None of the huge power amps from other makers used to do this - and they most often performed better once the sonic/brand blinkers came off (my Gawd some of us dealers were brainwashed into very narrow thinking an dit persists in some quarters today although the products are better now if the high prices are ignored)...

Transformers, even the best ones, can vibrate and buzz/sing slightly and some people are incredibly sensitive to this. A shame Hegel couldn't send a replacement transformer for a competent engineer to fit, even if it costs you pout of warranty. I'd suggest the brand is worth persevering with as they claim a good technical spec and performance and I've loved the 120 and 190 models I've used on and off this year.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, furniture doesn't affects loudness. Just looks like Hegel using low quality parts. So sad they telling it is ok for their products. But, anyway, it was very expensive purchase for me, so I have to look for solution.
A cabinet can definitely amplify a hum. I've had the same issue myself.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Geert

Major Contributor
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's simple. Block DC, see if the hum is still there and then blow up their customer service line if it is. Poor transformers are common, really good, silent ones are rare and worth the premium you paid.

OP
P

pchmykh

What on earth would you be doing to draw 1200 watts with it, tho? The item you linked says its good up to 16A in any case.

ps where do you live?
I am from Belarus. So sad I can't understand things about 16A :)

amper42

Major Contributor
My BMR monitors reach 75dB with the Hegel H90 volume knob at 49. Energy usage measures 60W with that setting. I can't imagine wanting to be in the room if you are using 300W with the Hegel H160. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am from Belarus. So sad I can't understand things about 16A :)
Capital A stands for amperes. 1200 watts on 220V systems would be 5.5 amperes, on 120V system it's 10 amperes....

OP
P

pchmykh

Thank you a lot, I will try to contact ATL hifi and will try their DC blocker. Hope it helps.
Oh, main question for now - which one is better? 1.4v bridge rectifier or 2v 6 discrete diodes? Is 1.4 and 2 is voltage or versions?

Last edited:
Top Bottom