• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HEDD Type 5 tweeters 'clicking'

j_vl_1

Hello

I hear a 'click' from time to time.
I suspect it's coming out of the tweeter(s). I'm not sure. I don't know what is causing it.

The monitors are both plugged into the same power strip, which is plugged into a wall socket. I sit quite close to them (50 cm or so).
Next to that wall socket, in an adjacent wall socket, there is another power strip plugged in which has a.o. PC, screen, scanner and a usb DAC plugged in.
This DAC (iFi xDSD) is connected using USB to a Linux pc with Kubuntu.
The DAC is also connected to the power strip where the PC is plugged in, but it has a battery inside. The click persists if I disconnect the DAC from the power supply (i.e. I run it battery operated).
The DAC is in line mode, connect to the monitors over a single ended cable. I am using the volume control of the PC to attenuate (playback software Spotify Connect or Audacious).
I used the same monitors before in the living room, and there was no audible click. I was sitting 200 cm away from them.

First time poster here, so this might be in the wrong forum. Please tell me if that's the case.
I don't know if all the information I wrote is relevant for a "diagnosis" of the problem, but I wanted to be as complete as possible from the start.
I hope someone can point me to a solution?

Thank you
Johan

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The DAC is in line mode, connect to the monitors over a single ended cable.
This sounds like it may be problematic.
The DAC is also connected to the power strip where the PC is plugged in, but it has a battery inside. The click persists if I disconnect the DAC from the power supply (i.e. I run it battery operated).
Hmm. This still leaves a secondary ground loop (DAC output - L speaker - mains PE - R speaker - DAC output). Spikes on the mains created e.g. by household appliances turning on or off might still be able to couple into the audio.

Sensitivity to RF may be another culprit. Then the mere positioning of the cable may influence matters.

The first thing I would try is a proper balanced connection, just to rule that out. The xDSD is not exactly intended for this kind of use anyway. It looks like e.g. a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen should be working fine on Linux at this point, so I'd suggest one of those and some TRS to XLR cables for a grand total of 130€ or so. (I am assuming that with the gear you have this shouldn't be breaking the bank.)

OP
J

j_vl_1

Meantime I have ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen and have connected my speakers to it.
Problem seems to be solved! Just a shame the headphone output isn't all that great, but for headphone listening I'm happy to keep using my iFi xDSD.
Thanks for your advice @AnalogSteph

Top Bottom