• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hedd Type 20 vs KH310

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Got the KH310s for a good price (~3200). This leaves me a few hundred dollar budget for more treatment (more traps, more broadband).

allan

Got the KH310s for a good price (~3200). This leaves me a few hundred dollar budget for more treatment (more traps, more broadband).
how are you liking them? Deciding between these and the HEDDs.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
how are you liking them? Deciding between these and the HEDDs.
I quite like them. The midrange is magical. Like, really something.

allan

I have another person telling me the midrange wasn’t as good as it was on the HEDDs. I wish I lived in LA haha! Is the low end strong enough for dance music production?

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have another person telling me the midrange wasn’t as good as it was on the HEDDs. I wish I lived in LA haha! Is the low end strong enough for dance music production?
It comfortably goes into the 30-40hz area, but they're strong candidates for crossing with subs as the small sealed box design doesn't lend itself to low distortion at high volumes in the sub bass area - not that it's particularly audible, mind.

allan

It comfortably goes into the 30-40hz area, but they're strong candidates for crossing with subs as the small sealed box design doesn't lend itself to low distortion at high volumes in the sub bass area - not that it's particularly audible, mind.

That’s a good point, I hadn’t considered it. Although, I doubt I would ever push them close to that hard.

Bartic

What year is your KH310 from? Have they been reliable so far?
I have a chance to get an 8 year old used pair. They look great. Apparently they weren't used too much at all.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
What year is your KH310 from? Have they been reliable so far?
I have a chance to get an 8 year old used pair. They look great. Apparently they weren't used too much at all.
Rock solid. Not sure what year, though.

Bartic

Rock solid. Not sure what year, though.
Nice. Glad to hear that.
Would you consider buying an 8 year old KH310 or would you say its too much of a risk?
Before you know it, its going to be a 10 year old speaker. (and again, that doesn't have to mean anything)
The kh310 came out in 2013, so we still don't know how well they hold up after 10+ years.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Nice. Glad to hear that.
Would you consider buying an 8 year old KH310 or would you say its too much of a risk?
Before you know it, its going to be a 10 year old speaker. (and again, that doesn't have to mean anything)
The kh310 came out in 2013, so we still don't know how well they hold up after 10+ years.
I see no reason to not. KH310s aren't particularly complex to repair - the only parts that will really fail outside of random catastrophic explosions are electrolytic caps, and the caps in mine were all good-to-excellent quality (Yageo main bulk cap in PSU, Japanese everything else, all 105C parts).

Bartic

Did you open each speaker up and check the condition of the internals before purchasing?
And is it an SMD?

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
Did you open each speaker up and check the condition of the internals before purchasing?
And is it an SMD?
I did not, as I bought them over the internet. Most stuff is SMD, the electrolytic caps are snap-in or through hole radial, power amp ICs are through hole as well IIRC...

Top Bottom