• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hedd 07 wins Monitor comparison video?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In this video comparison of a few different monitors (I know, cankt really compare over youtube…bla bla bla) the HEDD Type 07’s just seem to outclass the other monitors in the bass. Listen to the “Royals” clip on each. Am I just hearing deeper extension? I don’t think they spec any lower than the Neumann’s. They seem to have so much more texture to the bass. If you watch it on youtube, the first comment has timestamps to the demos.

edbosscom

Am I just hearing deeper extension? I don’t think they spec any lower than the Neumann’s. They seem to have so much more texture to the bass.
HEDD Type 07's have a 7 inch driver, Neumann KH120's 5 inch. More extension would make sense.

nicolasG

Hi,
I used this video to choose my monitors (as well as other opinions), for that I exported the audio, i recut it to have the same parts of the songs, all put on the same level (so as not to be influenced by the sound level) and compared on a multitrack daw, i listen it and look in spectrum analyzer
Heed is more boomy, but doesn't go lower than neumann.
Neumann is more analitic, head more hifi.
Your choice will depend on what you expect.
In the video it seems that it is the mk1 version of the head type 7. Actualy the Type7 mk2 is more expensive than the neumann.
Sorry for my rough english...
Regards...

Attachments

• neumann.png
    neumann.png
    217.6 KB · Views: 239
  • hedd.png
    hedd.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Lord original.png
    Lord original.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 231

nicolasG

I think the time response is the most important element when choosing a monitor.

OP
RobL

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
^ Thanks for that, interesting.
I’d be using for hifi so yeah, out of those comparison tracks I’d pick the HEDD as the most exciting to listen to. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder what would have happened if they had some Genelecs too
Also, they should have tested speakers with the same woofer size

KSTR

Major Contributor
FWIW, the early production runs of HEDD Type 07 Mk1 used 300W/4R amps for woofer and tweeter as the planned and spec'd 100W amps were not available immediately. Therefore these early models have an (undocumented) abundance of power and headroom, the amp is not the limiting factor for woofer.

Digby

Major Contributor
In this video comparison of a few different monitors (I know, cankt really compare over youtube…bla bla bla) the HEDD Type 07’s just seem to outclass the other monitors in the bass. Listen to the “Royals” clip on each. Am I just hearing deeper extension? I don’t think they spec any lower than the Neumann’s. They seem to have so much more texture to the bass.
Well, I have to agree, but what hits me most is the midrange. First, the clarity and the dynamism of the sound; it sounds restrained, yet not dull, detailed, but not too much so. The measurements presented after seem to back up your feeling about the bass, there is very low distortion, apparently we're not supposed to be able to hear the distortion much down there, but there is definitely something going on in the bass area.

Possible negatives, that woofer is really going some (perhaps better with subwoofer/s) and the treble occasionally has a 'one note' quality to it, but the latter may just be the particular recording (history repeating). I am very interested in trying these speakers out. These are a potential bargain at the price.

Hearing the Neumann after was disappointing, the bass was very obviously missing and whilst detailed, the details seems a bit flat, not particularly dynamic (things weren't picked out in the way they were with the Hedd). I agree with the guy on the left, that after two hours you would likely feel tired (1:44.15 into video). Maybe not so if it had full bass extension, but then you are looking at the KH310 or KH420, both much more expensive. It would be interesting to hear the difference the midrange driver makes with those speakers.

Top Bottom