• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Heavenly Soundworks

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Saw this review pop up on my youtube recommendations today.

Based on watching many of his videos, I get the sense that the reviewer does have heavy bias against active speakers. He's into pre-amp/amp/dac synergy and all that, which actives negate. I don't mean to bash the reviewer too much, but I just wanted to throw that out that as a warning for people that click. I do actually enjoy his content for the presentation and overviews.

Looked the company up cause I had never heard of them. California based and all active, but seem to be catering a bit more to the audiophile crowd with the look and prices. Measurements on the website only show on axis, but look very good. 4 way active bookshelf with -6dB @24Hz is interesting. At $10,000, it's their cheapest model, with the flagship being $80,000. Given the extension of the bookshelf, I'm assuming the tower will be truly full range(sub 20Hz), as it should be for that price ;). Website still says TBD for most of the specs, so I'm assuming they're new? and I'm hoping there's more objective data to come. Also would love to see third party measurements someday.

I'm a big fan of high end actives entering the audiophile(non-studio) market. We need more good actives in that market to hopefully start breaking that anti active bias that (imo) is holding companies like Revel and KEF back a bit. Salon3 needs to be active ;).

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also like to see options like this. Good on paper but not pushing the envelope with regards to room interaction like D&D or ME Geithain or B&O.

No way will the Salon 3 be active but obviously it should be.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I won't watch the video. I have watched a few of his videos and when he started the clickbait stuff - and subsequently literally told his subscribers "don't hate the player, hate the game" when they complained about it - I bailed. Not my cup of tea.

But looking at the speaker's website, it looks like it is possibly all Dayton drive unit speaker? Sure look like Dayton drivers. Especially the 3.5-inch midrange (which looks an awful lot to me like the $30 ND91). The 5-inch woofer looks like this $14 4-inch woofer from Dayton as well.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I won't watch the video. I have watched a few of his videos and when he started the clickbait stuff - and subsequently literally told his subscribers "don't hate the player, hate the game" when they complained about it - I bailed. Not my cup of tea.

But looking at the speaker's website, it looks like it is possibly all Dayton drive unit speaker? Sure look like Dayton drivers. Especially the 3.5-inch midrange (which looks an awful lot to me like the $30 ND91). The 5-inch woofer looks like this $14 4-inch woofer from Dayton as well.
LOL I noticed the same thing but thought...nah impossible. I think you might be right.

Edit: On further review I think you're right. What a scam. Also those drivers on the sides are passive radiators. Really remarkably cynical stuff.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Evidently, it is possible for anyone to start a YouTube audio review channel and get gear loaned for review by manufacturers.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Evidently, it is possible for anyone to start a YouTube audio review channel and get gear loaned for review by manufacturers.

It's possible for anyone but it seems to be easier for people with mediocre ethics and little knowledge.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite will always be Hans Beezmcmuffin, the man with the ears of god. I keep finding time smearing on my boxer shorts, maybe he can help.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
At this price, why not use the higher power Hypex plate amp? Drivers look pedestrian too, not that that's terrible. No value awards here, but agreed that it's cool to see more actives.

Separate profiles for different listening levels makes sense to me. I keep meaning to try that with my miniDSP but haven't gotten around to it.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor

I think Tang Band has a couple small subwoofers that look like this too and are a little more premium.

https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-Band-W5-1138SM-5-1-4-Neodymium-Subwoofer-264-831

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this price, why not use the higher power Hypex plate amp? Drivers look pedestrian too, not that that's terrible. No value awards here, but agreed that it's cool to see more actives.

Separate profiles for different listening levels makes sense to me. I keep meaning to try that with my miniDSP but haven't gotten around to it.

The drivers are literally not even the best ones made by the shop that sells them. They are low end drivers. Like, I would use them for an outdoor boombox project but not a 10K speaker.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it a bad driver?

It's great for 12 dollars.

I mean let me put it this way. In the midrange where excursion needs are low, there are cheap drivers that can do pretty well, but if you want low distortion and nice breakup characteristics you will pay. For a woofer you get what you pay for. This is among the best twelve dollar woofers out there. But the bass output is not going to be good. The over all fundamental frequency output, the bedrock of the music, will be extremely limited. This is a driver you'd use in a table radio, seriously.

Also if you look at it...it really is the dayton model. It is identical. The Tang Band woofers are pretty good little customers but they also cost 5-10x what this does.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
The drivers are literally not even the best ones made by the shop that sells them. They are low end drivers. Like, I would use them for an outdoor boombox project but not a 10K speaker.

I avoid ruling out designs because drivers aren't expensive - the BMR midrange is also dirt cheap, for example. That said, I'm with you. At $10K it's not a good look.

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on y'alls comments, I'm guessing the off axis measurements won't look near as good as the on axis measurements. No waveguide, so I'm guessing at least some directivity error, though perhaps this gives wider dispersion?

Regardless of the drivers used, the on axis and bass extension look exceptional for a speaker of this size. I think Genelec and Revel often use cheap parts and still get good results.

Reactions: Zvu
OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I avoid ruling out designs because drivers aren't expensive - the BMR midrange is also dirt cheap, for example. That said, I'm with you. At $10K it's not a good look.

I agree. The overall execution is ultimately what matters, not the parts used. Atm though, we don't really know the overall performance. Gonna need to see more than just an on axis FR.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on y'alls comments, I'm guessing the off axis measurements won't look near as good as the on axis measurements. No waveguide, so I'm guessing at least some directivity error, though perhaps this gives wider dispersion?

Regardless of the drivers used, the on axis and bass extension look exceptional for a speaker of this size. I think Genelec and Revel often use cheap parts and still get good results.

Ironically the off axis could be quite good - the drivers are very close in size. The problem is that the overall output level and bass potency will be similar to a couple of those tivoli radios.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Dayton stuff is generally quite good. And good value for the lower priced stuff.

My point in mentioning their use in this speaker is the astronomical price of the speaker compared to the cost of the raw parts. I’m not evaluating performance.

However, the fact the midbass is a 5-inch and the 8’s are passive radiators... well... I’d talk to a dealer and put the $10k toward a set of D&D 8cs. Just my two pennies.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dayton stuff is generally quite good. And good value for the lower priced stuff.

My point in mentioning their use in this speaker is the astronomical price of the speaker compared to the cost of the raw parts. I’m not evaluating performance.

However, the fact the midbass is a 5-inch and the 8’s are passive radiators... well... I’d talk to a dealer and put the $10k toward a set of D&D 8cs. Just my two pennies.

Erin if the output isn't enough for you, perhaps try the $80K model they have:
https://www.heavenlysoundworks.com/ten13

OP
richard12511

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ironically the off axis could be quite good - the drivers are very close in size. The problem is that the overall output level and bass potency will be similar to a couple of those tivoli radios.

Actually, those measurements are on the site and the extension and output actually look very good.

30 - 20,000 +/- 1dB
27 - 20,000 +/- 3dB
24 - 20,000 +/- 6dB

108dB continuous
113 dB short term
117 dB peak

Those figures are better than the Genelec 8351b($8k)

Top Bottom