• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

heatwave over uk and europe - oh some movies with coolness oh that feels so much better

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This song reminded me of my least favorite thing about living in Arizona.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
second wave of heatwave again .:confused: 31c outside . 27.4c indoors and no way listening to any movie or music in the THX cinema today even with air conditioner on . the system rack would put the temperature in the room over 31c . by night around 30c with hot warm weather .
my kitty cats are getting plenty of water-treats that is the biscuit treats in the bowl with water added so they lap up the water then have the treats .
next week maybe cloudy with some rain , oh , i welcome it .

Vacceo

Major Contributor
second wave of heatwave again .:confused: 31c outside . 27.4c indoors and no way listening to any movie or music in the THX cinema today even with air conditioner on . the system rack would put the temperature in the room over 31c . by night around 30c with hot warm weather .
my kitty cats are getting plenty of water-treats that is the biscuit treats in the bowl with water added so they lap up the water then have the treats .
next week maybe cloudy with some rain , oh , i welcome it .
Down south in Iberia we are supposed to be used to very hot summers, but this one is hideous. It´s not strange that we get 35 or more degrees during the day and for hours, what has changed is the fact that by night, temperatures do not get below 24 degrees (if you´re lucky!), hence, you do not rest well. When this happens for almost a month, you feel worn down all day long. Drough is the other issue, and considering the importance of agriculture, is a massive problem.

If this happens in a land used to dry and hot, I cannot really fathom how bad you´re enduring it up in the UK. Nothing over there is meant for sustained, massive heat. Stay safe Andy (and all the other guys up in the Islands!), heat kills and I have been a witness to it.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Down south in Iberia we are supposed to be used to very hot summers, but this one is hideous. It´s not strange that we get 35 or more degrees during the day and for hours, what has changed is the fact that by night, temperatures do not get below 24 degrees (if you´re lucky!), hence, you do not rest well. When this happens for almost a month, you feel worn down all day long. Drough is the other issue, and considering the importance of agriculture, is a massive problem.

If this happens in a land used to dry and hot, I cannot really fathom how bad you´re enduring it up in the UK. Nothing over there is meant for sustained, massive heat. Stay safe Andy (and all the other guys up in the Islands!), heat kills and I have been a witness to it.
I'm up in the hills and it's not too bad here, 28C outside due to rise to 31C.

25.5C indoors (no aircon). London is currently 31C and due to rise to 34C, heat island effect I suppose.

It's only for a couple of day, Monday is a lot cooler and normal service resumes on Tuesday (rain, wind, a bit chilly in the shade or when the clouds go across the sun).

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor

all the above you mentioned . it drains one and last few days felt so weak , poorly i could barely walk around indoors . i have mini water usb fan next to the bed to blow cool breeze to take few degrees off . it's about 27c in the bedroom . 30c or fraction over in the THX home cinema room . 30c + in the kitchen with amplifies

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I'm up in the hills and it's not too bad here, 28C outside due to rise to 31C.

25.5C indoors (no aircon). London is currently 31C and due to rise to 34C, heat island effect I suppose.

It's only for a couple of day, Monday is a lot cooler and normal service resumes on Tuesday (rain, wind, a bit chilly in the shade or when the clouds go across the sun).
odd that scottland is cooler then it is further up north , then they get it even colder in winter at times . and london with all the traffic that raises heat up extra few c .

Vacceo

Major Contributor
odd that scottland is cooler then it is further up north , then they get it even colder in winter at times . and london with all the traffic that raises heat up extra few c .
I´m not sure what is worse, the traffic or the massive amount of glass (reflective surface) and concrete (absorving surface). The lack of wind aggravates it even further and that does indeed decrease the quality of air.

Madrid or Barcelona are damn hell on Earth. Luckily I live in un-cool (and fire scorged!) Spain.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I long since gave up on trying to make sense of our stupid weather. You can have a balmy summer day then out of nowhere a hailstorm of biblical proportions. All four seasons in one day? Not unusual. Plus the classic pattern of great sunny weather on the weekdays when you're stuck in work and then cold and raining all weekend.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I long since gave up on trying to make sense of our stupid weather. You can have a balmy summer day then out of nowhere a hailstorm of biblical proportions. All four seasons in one day? Not unusual. Plus the classic pattern of great sunny weather on the weekdays when you're stuck in work and then cold and raining all weekend.
hail only if it was , france month before last the size of apples ! mucky sticky this morning . temp in bedroom 27.9c holding , dryness 46 . mini usb water fan on .

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hail only if it was , france month before last the size of apples ! mucky sticky this morning . temp in bedroom 27.9c holding , dryness 46 . mini usb water fan on .
25.6C inside, humidity 60% I have had to deploy a fan.

Never had it warmer in this room except for summer before last when I was running a Krell KSA100. That just got silly.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
It was so hot in our bedroom two nights ago we went out and bought another duvet. It’s got a tog rating of 10.5 on top of our existing duvet it cools the bed down nicely.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Can anybody enlighten me? From the 1st, October the maximum charge per kWhr will in the UK be 10.3P for gas and 34.0p for electricity. If it’s the price of gas driving up energy prices, then why is gas around 70% cheaper. Is it we are once again being conned by the environmental lobby.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't know, but the prices were set by the conservative government. My hunch for an explanation would be that the difference is explained by the conversion inefficiency of converting gas into electricity in the power station. My advise would be to invest in PV panels. At current prices they are just about the best investment you can make.

Willem

Major Contributor
Here in the Netherlands day time indoors temperatures were around 25 degrees Celsius in our house, which I find still rather doable. We were living Mediteranean style, i.e. keep windows/curtains/blinds closed during the day, to open the windows during the night. Daytime outdoor temperatures were in the 32-37 degree range.
We spent August cycle touring in France, and it was hot, but cycling was cooler than walking, until you had to climb a hill. We brought our US style summer tent with an all mesh inner, which was quite comfortable. Not a single camp site had any green grass left. The sight of dry rivers and yellow dying trees was apokalyptic. Even so, we had a great time.

Willem

Major Contributor
it we are once again being conned by the environmental lobby.
Actually, an environmental pricing strategy would do exactly the oppostie, as did the Dutch government a few years ago, when it raised the tax on natural gas for heating, and lowered the tax on electricity, thus incentivizing the change from gas for domestic heating to electric heat pumps.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Actually, an environmental pricing strategy would do exactly the oppostie, as did the Dutch government a few years ago, when it raised the tax on natural gas for heating, and lowered the tax on electricity, thus incentivizing the change from gas for domestic heating to electric heat pumps.
Far too sensible for the UK.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anybody enlighten me? From the 1st, October the maximum charge per kWhr will in the UK be 10.3P for gas and 34.0p for electricity. If it’s the price of gas driving up energy prices, then why is gas around 70% cheaper. Is it we are once again being conned by the environmental lobby.
There's various explanations if you google it but none make any sense to me. I suspect we are being robbed at least to some extent.

If we'd gone nuclear then we wouldn't be in this mess so you could blame the environmental lobby for that I suppose, along with successive governments.

Also privatising water and power was not a good move from the consumer's point of view but I don't think we'll ever see re-nationalisation.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
There's various explanations if you google it but none make any sense to me. I suspect we are being robbed at least to some extent.

If we'd gone nuclear then we wouldn't be in this mess so you could blame the environmental lobby for that I suppose, along with successive governments.

Also privatising water and power was not a good move from the consumer's point of view but I don't think we'll ever see re-nationalisation.
Privitisation of our utilities has been a bad joke, it’s a parody of capitalism. Private companies invest their own money and get a revenue stream from their investments. If they need to borrow money to invest they make a case to lenders and if it’s deemed viable money is made available. Not so with our privatised utilities as an example when BT announced the rollout of fibre optics. They had County Councils bid for priority Suffolk County Coucil paid around £40 million to get on the list, when they don’t have enough money for their statutory obligations. BT get an enhanced revenue stream, they can call it what they want. I call it extortion.

Top Bottom