• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Hearing' Your Room

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A very long time ago, my then boss/mentor/recording engineer/studio owner, Vlad Maleckar, taught me an interesting trick. You might find it occasionally useful, or not. I do.

In the context of placing microphones to best pick up solo instruments and orchestras, he had me try plugging one ear and listening only with the other. It doesn't matter which one. It helps you hear what the microphone is hearing at that location. But it is even more useful in hearing the room.

So, What Good Is That To Me? I'm not a recording engineer (anymore).

You see (hear?), with one ear plugged, your brain cannot as easily ignore ambiance and room effects. Normally, with two ears working, the brain quickly sorts out things like the room you're in, how far away and at what distance the sound is coming, and room effects like resonances and ambient noise. But with one ear disabled, it cannot do this very much. Thus, you hear more nearly the total sound around you. Try it. Even better, do an experiment: Crank the balance so only one stereo speaker is playing. Then, at some position, also plug one ear. Listen to some music you like. You will more nearly hear just one speaker, all of the room effects, and such. Then, do the other channel/speaker.

Is this some magical process for making your system better? Probably not. But it is an analytical trick to hear (among other things) how a microphone would hear your speaker in your room. Like, for example, a measurement microphone.

In Vlad's context, plugging one ear is a way to hear (with your own ear) what the microphone hears -- including the effects of the floor, ceiling, walls, placement, etc.

Try it. Let me know if it helps you to understand how your music system is working. And, more importantly, how your room sounds. I would be interested in what you find, of a general nature, using it.

[This technique is offered for free without warranty of merchantability or fitness. Use at your own risk.] :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That's an interesting idea and it makes sense! I usually just clap my hands to quickly check-out an "interesting" acoustic space but you can't do that with a finger in your ear. :D Not by yourself, anyway...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard of that trick for placing microphones for recordings. And yeah it can work for the home end too.

Recording at the LP vs listening there is a big difference. A bit amazing our ears process out most of the room especially in the short term as well as they do.

OP
Jim Shaw

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's an interesting idea and it makes sense! I usually just clap my hands to quickly check-out an "interesting" acoustic space but you can't do that with a finger in your ear. :D Not by yourself, anyway...
Alternately, just slap your face. ;)

Top Bottom