• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hearing loss: a hobby fades away

Wombat

Master Contributor
I've had tinnitus since I was a teenager. Probably something to do with factory work on an assembly lines and raves. It comes and goes. I've learned to keep my stress down and to avoid all stimulants, so no tea or coffee. Once in a while I hear silence.

I felt really down about it for a long time. I used to hate hearing it, and I heard it constantly. It was a bad day whenever it was acute. In the last five years or so I've learned to listen to it. The spectrum varies a lot. Depending what's playing, I can tell how tired I am, or how much pressure I'm carrying. After I make that judgment it usually subsides. Can't say why, but the intensity has a lot to do with how mindful I'm being.

I found coming to acceptance helped.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found coming to acceptance helped.

Agreed, and I think acceptance is the right word.

It's the only major improvement you can really make, other than avoiding more loud noise. I can not notice mine for months on end, then I tune into it and it bugs me for a while. Reading this thread immediately makes me hear it.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
N
I’m new to this forum and I’ve started a few threads talking about my journey.

We all use our hearing to enjoy this hobby and for some people their jobs. I’m currently in dentistry. And I realized that I’m not hearing as well as I did before I started working as a dentist. I noticed it for the first time when my daughter was talking to me. I did have a head cold and ther was fluid in my ears. But this was the first time I couldn’t quite understand the words she was saying.

So, I wanted to start a thread on hearing protection

Has anyone else experienced hearing loss? I’ve got an appointment with an audiologist/ent for further evaluation.

My goal is to find something that will allow me to practice while protecting my hearing and allow me to talk to patients. I know they have passive filtered hearing protection. However, I sound funny when talking to the patients. Has anyone had good luck with any of the electronic ear protection. I know they have them for hunting/shooting sports. I wonder if they would be effective in my application.

If you have any experience with any of these products feel free to share your experience.
Nice to meet a colleague!

I am also a motorbike lover and competition level pistol shooter since 1970s - and allergic/asthmatic. I lost high tunes in teenage, 8>kHz is black. Despite of all this I can manage without aids in my 60s. I have moulded plugs but I wear them only sometimes when riding a bike. So, I can't give any comments about aids. The most annoying thing is how much sound changes every time I swallow or yawn! It is because my Eustachian tubes are constricted and pressure alterations in inner ear blob the tymphane in or out, it's never at rest.

Problematic hearing is the main reason I like to take and read about measurements of audio gadgets! I dont trust even my own ears, or other's comments!

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The most annoying thing is how much sound changes every time I swallow or yawn! It is because my Eustachian tubes are constricted and pressure alterations in inner ear blob the tymphane in or out, it's never at rest.
Can you adjust the pressure at will (with deep breaths)? I find it helps.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another long term tinnitus sufferer. Mine came from some kids in junior high that thought it would funny to light a string of M80's in a bathroom in school and run out. Ever since then I have had a nice ringing at about 15khz. Recently, it has been exacerbated by our new dog, a german shepherd that has the loudest bark I have ever heard. I have it mostly in my right ear and it can get painful with loud noises. At 46, I can still hear to 16khz, but I am sure that will continue to drop over time.

Once thing I have found that has helped for music listening is that I have started to use the mastering levels recommended by Bob Katz for when I want to crank it up. I am using volume leveling in Roon and Jriver to equalize out and find that for short term, the 74db reference on my desktop, and about 80 db for my main system sound really good and don't lead to fatigue or worse ringing. (I have marked my volume knobs with the respective reference levels). I don't normally listen at these levels more than about 10-15 minutes.

I do listen to music throughout the day while working, or else the ringing just drives me nuts. For most listening at my desktop the average levels are 55-60 db, where music stills sounds good, but I don't get any fatigue.

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Can you adjust the pressure at will (with deep breaths)? I find it helps.
Only if I open my mouth wide open ( =yawning at will)

And yes I have always had mild tinnitus. For long time I believed that it is normal, like hearing your heartbeats sometimes.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And yes I have always had mild tinnitus. For long time I believed that it is normal, like hearing your heartbeats sometimes.
Same, I think I was almost in my teens before I found out it wasn't normal to hear a high pitched whine constantly.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have pretty bad Tinnitus and have suffered some severe bouts of hyperacusis (e.g. as of last fall, a really bad one). I've undergone a long treatment for the hyperacusis that seems to be working. I just braved my first audio show since last year (would have been unthinkable last fall, which is why I didn't go), so that was a nice milestone. Felt good enough to roll the dice on buying a new pair of speakers too, which has worked out really well.

I've had some wickedly loud Tinnitus off and on recently, but years of experience with it allows me to be sanguine and to expect it to subside (as it has off and on).

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have suffered tinnitus for years. I have a constant squealing tone around 8,000Hz in both ears. At 60 I find I cannot hear anything above 12,000Hz any longer. I also have partial hearing loss in my right ear where some idiot I knew in my 20’s fired a 44 magnum about 6” from my right ear. Speech in that ear is sometimes hard to understand. I have also suffered from sinus related ear infections my entire life until about 2 years ago when I discovered the miracle that is Azelastine spray.

Anyway, I still love this hobby and listening to music. It’s only when I’m deep into listening sessions that the tinnitus fades from consciousness.

Interesting thread.

Martin

Top Bottom