• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hearing EQ

rxp

Anyone interested in this - on the latest iOS 14 beta you can measure an audiogram using an app that's calibrated for Ear Pods/Air Pods then use that audiogram to correct the headphone you're using.

I believe the audiograms are extremely accurate compared to any other phone/eco system - precisely because it has been calibrated to a specific set of earbuds. I do know the issue with Ear Pods / Air Pods is that on dummy heads different placements vary the FR dramatically but the app takes that into account in its measurement methodology.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

rxp

Yep I remember the Samsung ones. Wasn't aware of the Beyerdynamic ones.

The good thing about the Apple version is that it controls the end-to-end headphone/amplifier/OS so knows objectively correct levels. For example the health app even tells you your average db you've been listening to on your headphones, but it'll actually be accurate for apple headphones.

headphone-iOS-13.jpg

OP
JoachimStrobel

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone interested in this - on the latest iOS 14 beta you can measure an audiogram using an app that's calibrated for Ear Pods/Air Pods then use that audiogram to correct the headphone you're using.

I believe the audiograms are extremely accurate compared to any other phone/eco system - precisely because it has been calibrated to a specific set of earbuds. I do know the issue with Ear Pods / Air Pods is that on dummy heads different placements vary the FR dramatically but the app takes that into account in its measurement methodology.
Threshold testing for frequencies is not the same as audibility at 80-90 dB. It would be interesting to see how Apple translates a age related -10 dB threshold for 8 kHz into an adjustment for 90 dB earphone sound.

Top Bottom