• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hearing decline with age

• Thread starter Deleted member 21219
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21219

I'm 70 years old, and my hearing is lousy. Basically, I can't hear anything above 6K, and my hearing declines precipitously between 5K and 6K. I love listening to music; it's one of the calming effects in my life, and I want to continue enjoying it. I've been using headphones more and more as I've gotten older (Audio Technica ATH-M40x) but they are uncomfortable to use for extended lengths of time. I don't know whether open-back headphones would be any more comfortable, and I am unsure of the bass response of open-back headphones.

One bad thing is that there are no great variety of 'phones available locally for me to audition. The local availability of nearfield speakers (should I decide to explore that route) is even worse, which is why I've been using the 'phones. It's sort of a "between a rock and a hard place" situation.

For any other "oldsters" out there ...... how have you handled this problem? Jim Taylor

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm 70 years old, and my hearing is lousy. Basically, I can't hear anything above 6K, and my hearing declines precipitously between 5K and 6K. I love listening to music; it's one of the calming effects in my life, and I want to continue enjoying it. I've been using headphones more and more as I've gotten older (Audio Technica ATH-M40x) but they are uncomfortable to use for extended lengths of time. I don't know whether open-back headphones would be any more comfortable, and I am unsure of the bass response of open-back headphones.

One bad thing is that there are no great variety of 'phones available locally for me to audition. The local availability of nearfield speakers (should I decide to explore that route) is even worse, which is why I've been using the 'phones. It's sort of a "between a rock and a hard place" situation.

For any other "oldsters" out there ...... how have you handled this problem? Jim Taylor

I'm curious as to why you think that either headphones or near-field listening will help solve your problem.

That aside, comfort of headphones depends on your head and the headphones' design. Open or closed is not a defining factor.

And have you seen an audiologist/doctor about your hearing loss? What you describe is not simply age related, even at 70!

Good luck with finding a solution!

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jim I’d recommend getting a hearing assessment from an audiologist if you haven’t already. Sounds like you need some professional advice.

Emlin

Yes, I've seen audiologists. My hearing loss is the end product of prior experiences; it's not just age-related. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I used headphones to isolate the music from the background noises. The comfort problem is hard to explain. It's sort of a "pressure" problem, if that makes any sense. I would surrender some isolation in return for less of this so-called "pressure" problem.

The nearfield speaker is only mentioned in case I can't find 'phones that I like, or can't find a different solution to the problem. They're an absolute last resort.

I can get hearing aids, but I'm not sure they are a solution. Some friends have hearing aids, and they refuse to use them with headphones.

Is this pressure on the head/ears or a perceived acoustic affect?

Erici

Forum Donor
Hi Jim,

I'm 69 and had a similar issue. I went to Costco to get a free hearing test (from a licensed audiologist), and then bought some hearing aids from them which they programed to minimize my hearing loss. With the hearing aids I can use either speakers (JBL Stage A130 and Infinity R162) or headphones (HifiMan HE400i) to enjoy music. This worked very well for me. I'm happy to answer any questions!

https://www.costco.com/CategoryDisp...z34+3m+bLNC8F8v41m6p4hmDg==&ddkey=http:Logoff

Eric

Emlin

Now that you say that, and I think about it, it MAY be a perceived acoustic effect. Please tell me more about this! It's something I had not considered before now.

I'm no expert, but if the sound feels "uncomfortable" to you, that may translate into an uncomfortable feeling on the head. However, you thought that was caused by a bad fit to you head, or weight, or something, so I'd go with that for now.

I don't know where you are, but can't you order a few and return those that don't "fit" (after looking at amirm's reviews)?

Erici

Forum Donor
Thank you for specifically mentioning that you are comfortable using headphones with your hearing aids.
The hearing aids I use have 10 levels of amplification, so it's possible to fine tune the effect to your own taste. The 400i headphones are very comfortable for long term use, but are open back so depending on how much background noise you have, a closed back may be better for your needs.

So luckily? with the 400i headphones I can still hear my wife yelling at me.....

Last edited:

Russell484

I'm 75 years old. The last six or seven years have been a challenge for my love of music. My hearing loss has resulted in music sounding bad. Sometimes music I have listened to since I was a kid - Bach, Beethoven, Schubert I have to strain to recogniize. Pitches seem wrong, timbre is wrong, a violin sounds like a trumpet etc. I have used hearing aids for the last seven or eight years and they help with conversations with people and general hearing, but so far music reproduction is poor. I used the Sennheiser RS 195 headphones which incomporate several hearing correction curves that you can try out. Those, worn with my hearing aids help some. Nuraphone.com also makes headphones and earphones that attempt to correct for some hearing loss after doing a personal hearing test/calibration via their smartphone app. They work better, though not perfect, and are used without wearing hearing aids. Finally my best results are with my new (5_2-21) hearing aids which allow streaming directly from an iPhone to the hearing aids. That is the best sound I have found and makes listening to music enjoyable again. These are very expensive hearing aids, but life is short and getting shorted and I find them worth the cost. They do work ok with my headphones Sennheiser RS195's and HD598cs, but the sound is best streamed directly to the hearing aides without headphones.

I would expect a good audiologist and a comprehensive hearing test would shed some light on your specific hearing issues and narrow down the list of possible solutions. If not I would try another audiologist. Good luck!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm 68, high frequencies (not very high, even) escape me.

It's always been that way, as far as I know, not age related.

But my hearing within my range seems "normal".

Having tested increasing the level of things I can't hear (but the microphone can), doesn't have any effect, so I've never thought about hearing aids.

Audio Buddy (with more normal hearing) and I share the same observations, conversation is fine, TV isn't loud, etc.

Go figure.

Last edited:

warnerwh

A few months ago I received new hearing aids. They have made the enjoyment of music far far better. Hearing aid technology is advancing fast which is why this pair is far superior than my last pair which were only 4 years old and I rarely wore. I look forward to putting these in every day.

It's amazing all the things these things can do these days. The model above mine even translates I think it's 25 languages. You can go to the Starkey hearing aid page and see all the features these have including AI. I'm sure there are other good brands but they are from outside the country for probably less money though. They're expensive is the only issue. If you're thinking about getting hearing aids you should do it because I think you may be very happy you did. You forgot what you're missing in the music or at least I did. It's like getting a MUCH better system.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 21219

The model above mine even translates I think it's 25 languages.

When I saw that line, I didn't know what to think. I was imagining audio translations! I went to the site, and now I understand. Whew!

Basically, I have one more question, and it might be an important one:

FOR THOSE OF US WHO LISTEN TO HEADPHONES WHILE WEARING HEARING AIDS, DO YOU PREFER CLOSED-CUP, OPEN-BACK OR OFF-THE-EAR?

Thanks for all the help. Jim

Russell484

I used closed back primarily because I have other people nearby listening to other things - TV etc while I am listening to music. I have not tried open back. On ear headphones don't work with my hearing aids as the HA mics are behind the ear.

Russell484

Yeah Jim it is a younger persons hobby, for those with a fairly high income, and those with an even higher income if they're addicted to Stereophile or the Absolute Sound. I've got a very good friend, we grew up together listening to music, going to h ifi shows, buying records cartridges turntables, amps and speakers etc. Many years ago I dropped out of the race for the ultimate system with the ultimate cables etc. When I visit him he always has new stuff, not cheap either stuff either but $20k preamp and amp several $20k turntables and cartridges, etc. He sometimes chides me for my old Van Alstine modded Dynaco stuff and my small Topping dac hooked up to my computer for headphone listening. I tell him, with my hearing a $100k audio system would be a total waste of money. He of course claims to be able to hear the differences in the quality of his house electric power as it changes through the day, and prefers to listen from 1 am till dawn because of it. To each his own!

Jim T

You and I are in the same boat, but I have become good with my acoustic concert going, pre pandemic, to keep my reference of real so when i do recording I don't over compensate for my HF loss. I generally have tried to attend about 12 concerts at Emory Univ. in Schwartz Auditorium, a near perfect small seating venue with superbly talented students.

I prefer my AKG 701's and my AT-ATH 7XXX open back cans which have slightly less bass than either my AT 50X or 40X cans. My son uses the 40X's now. I do like the 50X's on acoustic music. My son also bought me a pair of Beyer DT 770 Pros I like, but are used mostly for brighter performances. My recording cans are AKG K271's which are brighter and keep me from EQ recordings. If I want EQ, I change out the mics to suit the instrument or singer. I remember I am recording for those with way better hearing than I have. I am using listening for room noises or negative artifacts. Recording also keeps me in touch with real sounds. When mastering I get help with others about the finished product.

I listen on speakers a good part of the time, but prefer cans. I have worked hard to get my speaker placement good so I have few boundary reflection issues. My main listening space is MY space and I do not have to accommodate room furnishings. I also record in this room with soloists.

Russell484

I also still find live music very enjoyable. Prior to the pandemic my wife and I attended 5 or 6 ballet's a year in San Francisco, the live orchestra is very good and there is a great variety in the music. We also attend other classical concerts in San Francisco and subscribe to a 5 event keyboard concert series here locally. Generally I find that when hearing music live I am focused on the music not on my own hearing issues. My daughter just bought a pair of AKG cans, and says they're great but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Your recording adventures sound like fun, it is great you can keep doing that in spite of a hearing loss. I am just looking forward to getting back to in person concerts this coming fall and winter.

Jim T

Absolutely. The recording part came about as I was curious as to why so many recordings sounded poor. So I learned how to make some decent recordings with minimal gear and recorded for free concerts at our local universities and public schools, middle and high, both chorus and band. The kids loved hearing themselves and the teachers used the concerts as a teaching tool for the kids to improve.

I had a choral teacher who just passed away use my recordings and her kids came in first in the state once they knew what to improve upon. Great fun for all of us.

I look forward to going to Emory in the fall.

DavidMcRoy

Have you tried any “on ear” headphones as opposed to “around the ear?” For ultimate comfort, I find Plantronics on ear headphones extremely comfortable, very lightweight/light pressure with very good sound. I think they make noise-canceling versions, which you might prefer since there’s not much mechanical isolation with an on ear design.

Russell484

On ears don't work for me as my hearing aids and their mics are behind my ears. Without the hearing aids, all headphones sound pretty bad, with hearing aids and over ear headphones sound is much better - not perfect but at least listenable.

Top Bottom