• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hearing -120db and lower

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Given some gain I can hear -140 db or lower.

If you have a quiet listening environment, and are willing to play 0 dbFS at 120 dbSPL, at least in the 3-5 khz range during what is otherwise quiet you could hear it.

Is it important listening to any recording? No way. I've seen somewhere the instantaneous dynamic range of hearing is about 60 db. And after even a short loud sound, it takes time for your hearing sensitivity to get back to its most sensitive level (temporary threshold shift). One could in theory have a recording with loud parts and long periods of quieter parts that might make -120 db in a sense audible. Good luck finding more than a few that fit that description.

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
-120dB compared to what? That's the question. decibel is nothing more than a ratio or a percentage.

-120 db less than any noise, can it be heard? Or do i need to tell you the db of the noise?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
-120 db less than any noise, can it be heard? Or do i need to tell you the db of the noise?

Perhaps you should specify decibels SPL, because 120dB alone has no units for reference.

---

But, to answer your general question, I'd say you can't hear the loud and the 120dB lower sound simultaneously.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Does, if I'm listening to an 40 db tone can i hear one -120 db from there make sense?

I was implying spl.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Does, if I'm listening to an 40 db tone can i hear one -120 db from there make sense?

I was implying spl.
40dBSPL-120dB = -80dBSPL < 0dBSPL hence impossible.
It's only possible to hear it when you have a 120dBSPL tone. But I can imagine you still won't hear it. I can't even hear people talking in loud concert. And the talking has to be way over 60dB in itself.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I guess another way to ask then.

What is the absolute limit to human hearing? The human with the best hearing in the world, how quiet of distortion products can he/she hear?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
On a side note I've heard in one of those chambers you can hear your circulatory system pumping ect and it freaks people out.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor

What is the absolute limit to human hearing? The human with the best hearing in the world, how quiet of distortion products can he/she hear?
I just had this discussion over at AVS. 0.3% distortion, about 50 dB below source material is audible.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
On a side not I've heard in one of those chambers you can hear your circulatory system pumping ect and it freaks people out.
It can drive you crazy if you stay in too long. I always thought it would be the ultimate torture device because you could tell the public “So, we put the terrorist in a quiet room. What’s wrong with that?”

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Sounds like something the government would do lol.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

There is no easy way to answer that for all conditions. I understand what you are trying to find out. It is hard to pick one threshold.

Some testing indicates once distortion gets below -60 db for test tones it isn't audible. The number is maybe more like -40 db for almost all music.

Now I can come up with some odd situations that exceed those, but they've nothing to do with any normal situation. Like 350 hz tone with only 10 th harmonic distortion. Yet there is unlikely to be any such device with that kind of distortion. You might hear that at -80 db. All this is dependent upon the level, the harmonic structure of the distortion and some other things.

Look at this masking curve for a single tone. Anything at a higher frequency that is under the curve whether distortion or another signal is masked and not heard.

1589425361989.png

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172235/#!po=49.7826

This is a really interesting article talking about hearing aids. But interesting since there is science that a starved Class AB amp sounded worse than a class D amp, or how we perceptible THD differs based upon frequency and content.

One of the references suggests 0.1% is audible for some types of distortion.

Very good article.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Maybe you could review a silly tool, the Shoutometer...

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
There is no easy way to answer that for all conditions. I understand what you are trying to find out. It is hard to pick one threshold.

Some testing indicates once distortion gets below -60 db for test tones it isn't audible. The number is maybe more like -40 db for almost all music.

Now I can come up with some odd situations that exceed those, but they've nothing to do with any normal situation. Like 350 hz tone with only 10 th harmonic distortion. Yet there is unlikely to be any such device with that kind of distortion. You might hear that at -80 db. All this is dependent upon the level, the harmonic structure of the distortion and some other things.

Look at this masking curve for a single tone. Anything at a higher frequency that is under the curve whether distortion or another signal is masked and not heard.

View attachment 63323

Maybe I can offer something sort of worthwhile? I read thousands of audiograms during one of the most boring, mind-numbing portions of my career. These folks were young and in excellent condition. There were people who had thresholds maybe 3, 4, 5, dB better than the standard threshold for hearing at the most sensitive frequencies—the official standardized 0 db I guess. These folks were outliers for sure.

Not any kind of medical professional here. It’s just something I had to do and that’s what I saw.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom