• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hearing 099

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
This coming Wednesday, I will be giving a tutorial on the very basics of human hearing at Digipen as part of the AES local Chapter's activities.

You can get more information at www.aes.org/sections/pnw

This is an updated talk, much like one I did about 10 years ago, but with some new material and better illustrations.

It does not require a lot of mathematics, and is at the conceptual level, not at a mathematically stringent level.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will there be a video of the talk? Or at least an audio recording? I hope so, and hope it is available.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gosh, love to attend but have come down with a cold and would have to drive 2 hours each way. I have seen your old PPT and referenced it at times. Would be great to hear you explain it in person.

I will see if I can drag myself up there somehow. :)

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Huh. That's not how it's supposed to work. There is supposed to be a security guy at all times, and that should not have happened. :(

There is no special way. Thump on the door has always worked. :(

MRC01

Major Contributor
There's video there now. I wish I heard about this sooner, I would have like to attend in person.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@j_j, I've also gone over your Hearing 101 slideshow and have been mulling over your comments on phase and pre-echo (Slides 29-32 in particular).

The basic concept of a "leading edge detector" seems fairly clear to me - i.e. (correct me if I'm wrong) that the leading edge of a waveform is critical in terms of instantaneous loudness, in contrast to loudness which is summed for up to 200ms, and that pre-echo is a problem because it can start the compression on the basilar membrane before the signal arrives, thereby reducing the loudness (or should that be instantaneous loudness?) of a transient.

I would love to hear your further thoughts on this. In this case, my interest is also quite practical, as I'd like to be able to estimate some ballpark audibility thresholds for pre-echo caused by linear phase FIR filters.

In particular, it would seem to me that a number of active linear phase loudspeakers and DSP implementations on the market would create relatively gross pre-echo as a result of their very long tap lengths.

Previously, I had looked to Zwicker and Fastl's work on pre-masking for guidance as to what might be an acceptable (i.e. likely inaudible) degree of pre-echo. But now I'm wondering if your work doesn't actually problematise their findings (which TBH were fairly ambiguous in the first place)?

Anyway, basically anything further you have to say on this would be very interesting to me :)

MRC01

Major Contributor
There's one section I didn't quite follow. JJ mentions Elephant hearing and atmospheric pressure around thunderstorms and estimates the change at 1 part in 30 which would be a 30 dB difference: 20 * log (1/30) = -29.5 dB.

However, it seems like he reversed the ratio. Air pressure doesn't drop by 30:1 when a thunderstorm comes. It might drop by 1 part in 30, about 3%, which would be 20 * log(29/30) = -0.3 dB. An extreme TStorm might drop air pressure from 29.92" to 28" which would be a -0.6 dB difference.

Did I misinterpret what he was saying?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... pre-echo is a problem because it can start the compression on the basilar membrane before the signal arrives, thereby reducing the loudness (or should that be instantaneous loudness?) of a transient.
... my interest is also quite practical, as I'd like to be able to estimate some ballpark audibility thresholds for pre-echo caused by linear phase FIR filters
I too am interested in this topic, for the same reasons & applications.

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
There's one section I didn't quite follow. JJ mentions Elephant hearing and atmospheric pressure around thunderstorms and estimates the change at 1 part in 30 which would be a 30 dB difference: 20 * log (1/30) = -29.5 dB.

However, it seems like he reversed the ratio. Air pressure doesn't drop by 30:1 when a thunderstorm comes. It might drop by 1 part in 30, about 3%, which would be 20 * log(29/30) = -0.3 dB. An extreme TStorm might drop air pressure from 29.92" to 28" which would be a -0.6 dB difference.

Did I misinterpret what he was saying?

You misinterpreted what it meant. The air pressure drops by 1 part in 30. Sounds pressure is defined from the MEAN air pressure. In terms of SOUND PRESSURE it's (milliHz or Microhz) incredibly high energy. In terms of absolute pressure, it/s still 1/30.

Since "air pressure" is 194dB SPL (well except you can never reach that level, air isn't linear, which is one of the reasons we have thunderstorms) the change in pressure when the storm passes is 164dB SPL.

And it's really 1 part in 31.6, but we're talking approximately.

OP
j_j

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
@j_j, I've also gone over your Hearing 101 slideshow and have been mulling over your comments on phase and pre-echo (Slides 29-32 in particular).

Anyway, basically anything further you have to say on this would be very interesting to me :)

The answer is annoyingly difficult, varies with frequency (due to cochlear filter impulse), level (due to nonlinearities) and the frequency content of the "filter pre-ripple".

There isn't one answer.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The answer is annoyingly difficult, varies with frequency (due to cochlear filter impulse), level (due to nonlinearities) and the frequency content of the "filter pre-ripple".

There isn't one answer.

Fair enough J_J, thanks :) Are they papers/books etc. you could recommend please?

Top Bottom