• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Heads up on USB-C hubs, some have power only connectors

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I recently bought a MOTU M4 (really like it) and a MS Surface which only has 1 USB conecctor (type c) and an analog audio out and thats it. So I bought a Hub that was supposed to branch into a HDMI, USB 3, and USB C connectors. well the first 2 worked but the USBC was dead, woudnt even see a mouse. Well after some research I found there are at least 2 types of USB-C ports. The one I didnt know about is called a power delivery port and is used to feed power back to the laptop from a supply coneccted to the USB-C out of the hub. No data comes out of it. They are called USB-C PD (power delivery) ports and there labeled with a lightning bolt. So if you want data dont get a hub with only one of these. I went back where I bought it and the sales guy was surprised by this. I traded it for one with 2 USB-C ports (one is PD one is data) and all is good.

Hope this saves someone some time.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently bought a MOTU M4 (really like it) and a MS Surface which only has 1 USB conecctor (type c) and an analog audio out and thats it. So I bought a Hub that was supposed to branch into a HDMI, USB 3, and USB C connectors. well the first 2 worked but the USBC was dead, woudnt even see a mouse. Well after some research I found there are at least 2 types of USB-C ports. The one I didnt know about is called a power delivery port and is used to feed power back to the laptop from a supply coneccted to the USB-C out of the hub. No data comes out of it. They are called USB-C PD (power delivery) ports and there labeled with a lightning bolt. So if you want data dont get a hub with only one of these. I went back where I bought it and the sales guy was surprised by this. I traded it for one with 2 USB-C ports (one is PD one is data) and all is good.

Hope this saves someone some time.

It depeonds on your laptop.

Those PD ports are meant for USB-C chargers. What happens is that mosr USB-C ports on laptops today supports charging as well (most support 45/65W chargers) So, many USB-C hubs allows you to plug your charger to the hub. This allows you to charge your laptop when you plug the hub to your laptop.

OP
C

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if there are hubs with usb-c connectors that do both data (and power for the device) and PD back to the laptop?

Top Bottom