• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones with great soundstage under 1000$

TBsq

Hi, I want to find a headphones that sound big - where I can almost feel like speakers are in front of me, I'm searching something deep rather than wide - that have a good frequency response or that can easily be eq-ed to achieve a neutral sound, and that have no quality control issues like Hifiman. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I want to find a headphones that sound big, where I can almost feel like speakers are in front of me, that have a good frequency response or that can easily be eq-ed to achieve a neutral sound, and that have no quality control issues like Hifiman. Any ideas?
2nd hand Sennheiser HD800 (or 800S)

OP
T

TBsq

Is it still gonna be good if it's used? Never bought used headphones

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Trouble is, other than the HD800, the other soundstage stars tend to be Hifiman.

The Senn HD560S seems to get some chatter for soundstage I suppose- and infinitely more wallet friendly.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the illusion of a big soundstage from headphones is a very personal thing.
I have never heard such a thing, for example, in over 50 years of trying different makes and types.
A slight out of head illusion rather than a row of tiny musicians inside my head is the nearest I have got.
In the end I don’t use headphones often and look mainly for accurate musical timbre on a range of acoustic instruments.
For that the best I heard were the Verum 1 but it is a bit of a faff getting any - mine took months even before the war but I like them and I have tried a lot, planar, electrostatic and dynamic, open and closed.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Planar headphones do?
Estats are known for being sensitive to dust.
Dropping a planar could get the membrane stuck to the magnet array (see here)
DDs usually handle physical abuse the best.

OP
T

TBsq

I'm also looking for recommendations at new price

Peterinvan

I am enjoying the wide sound stage on my new Meze 109 Pros. Very comfortable. On the right tracks I get 180 degree sound stage with nice depth :)

On the closed choice, I have the LCD-XC (2019) that I got used for under $1000. Also great sound stage.
The weight (730 gm) issue can be mitigated by a comfy chair with a headrest (e.g. my La-Z-Boy recliner).

OP
T

TBsq

I am enjoying the wide sound stage on my new Meze 109 Pros. Very comfortable. On the right tracks I get 180 degree sound stage with nice depth :)

On the closed choice, I have the LCD-XC (2019) that I got used for under $1000. Also great sound stage.
The weight (730 gm) issue can be mitigated by a comfy chair with a headrest (e.g. my La-Z-Boy recliner).
How does the Meze compares to the HD800 ?

okok

second hands actually lots of hands, selling and reselling, lots of sweat and hairs

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Somebody posted a survey recently and it turns-out that very few people get a good soundstage illusion. With all the talk about "soundstage" I was surprised!

Personally, I don't experience it and different headphones don't make a difference for me. I know it's an illusion but I thought I was an exception. I generally perceive the sounds as coming from somewhere vaguely around my forehead, except for hard-panned sounds that I hear coming directly from the headphone, basically "injected" into my ear.

OP
T

TBsq

Somebody posted a survey recently and it turns-out that very few people get a good soundstage illusion. With all the talk about "soundstage" I was surprised!

Personally, I don't experience it and different headphones don't make a difference for me. I know it's an illusion but I thought I was an exception. I generally perceive the sounds as coming from somewhere vaguely around my forehead, except for hard-panned sounds that I hear coming directly from the headphone, basically "injected" into my ear.
That's why I want a headphone that does this illusion the most.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, I’ve tried dozens of headphones over the last 52 years (bought my first pair, Koss electrostatics, in 1970. None have given me an out of head soundstage, I have some gaming headphones which come with a 3D app for the computer which opens it up a bit, but not much.
Basically I get a line of micro-musicians between my ears.

OP
T

TBsq

What about the Audeze LCD-X? I'm fearing the HD800 will be too old te be reliable and lack bass.

Phoney

Audeze LCD-2 Classic (2021 pads) had a pretty wide stage imo. The tonality is not the best however, so better use an EQ for it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Philips Fidelio X2HR has a fairly good out of head soundstage at the expense of frequency response---it's somewhat shrill in the upper frequencies. It is one of the few open back 'phones with decent response in the bottom octaves.

OP
T

TBsq

The Philips Fidelio X2HR has a fairly good out of head soundstage at the expense of frequency response---it's somewhat shrill in the upper frequencies. It is one of the few open back 'phones with decent response in the bottom octaves.
Looks too cheap, I've already had a DT 990 pro which disappointed me

Top Bottom