• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones Upgrade Help

JediMa

Hello I need your help to sort out my set of headphones (the list is in my signature).
I like to collect a few to try to have different features (open, closed, v-sound, neutral and so on).
My plan now is to sell 2 or 3 of mine to move up about quality. (AKG 712 pro and Meze 99 Classics for sure.. eventually a 3rd one to get extra money)
I want to get headphones with excellent detail, soundstage but with a warm sound (I use my HD600 for classical and they are very nice but cold and poor bass)
Music to listen: Jazz - Blues - Classical mainly
Budget 500 euros max
Personally I was considering GRADO SR325X or ATH-R70X but any other good advice is really welcome

Thank you

Last edited:

Peterinvan

I am very happy with my Meze 109 Pros. Should meet your requirements.

Several positive reviews on the web. Some say it is a bit bright in the upper frequencies, but after about 200 hours of break in the drivers reach optimum flexibility and I no longer hear anything unpleasant in the treble. My music choices seem to match yours.

Super comfortable. Great value for money.

I sold my Grado SR325x, and SR325is. The Meze bested them in all areas.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

I am very happy with my Meze 109 Pros. Should meet your requirements.

Several positive reviews on the web. Some say it is a bit bright in the upper frequencies, but after about 200 hours of break in the drivers reach optimum flexibility and I no longer hear anything unpleasant in the treble. My music choices seem to match yours.

Super comfortable. Great value for money.

I sold my Grado SR325x, and SR325is. The Meze bested them in all areas.
And those would be simply amazing and my 1st choice but they are really far from my budget 799 euros vs 359 of Grado

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple I remember being warmer is the Sennheiser HD58x and Beyerdynamic DT17xx. If it's something with rolled off treble kind of warm, the Focal Elegia is on sale at Adorama for $329. The Grado 325 I had were incredibly accurate with imaging, fun on a bun to game with also. Have you tried equalizing the mids on the HD600? If you have the power for a preamp reduction those are kind of a blank slate to up some mid bass and roll off the treble.

okok

HD600 best sounding already, flagship in 2000

OP
JediMa

JediMa

A couple I remember being warmer is the Sennheiser HD58x and Beyerdynamic DT17xx. If it's something with rolled off treble kind of warm, the Focal Elegia is on sale at Adorama for $329. The Grado 325 I had were incredibly accurate with imaging, fun on a bun to game with also. Have you tried equalizing the mids on the HD600? If you have the power for a preamp reduction those are kind of a blank slate to up some mid bass and roll off the treble.
Adorama doesn't ship to Italy :(

OP
JediMa

JediMa

So to try to sort this out I give few more informations. The headphones I'm going to replace are Meze 99 Classics and AKG 712 pro; Meze are funny but so so imaging, detail is just ok and bass are just too much. AKG have a fantastic imaging, decent bass and good detail but after all they sound boring, good for any musical genre but not shining in any specific one (all of these are my personal opinions but because my ears work like that they are my "truth").
The headphones I would like to buy is a kind of mix of the best features of my Meze and AKG

Top Bottom