• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones under 200$/€ - Need Advice

bugivugi

Note that the 6XX is the Sennheiser HD 650, there's a massive reduction in the price through Drop, but I'm not sure if you can get them for a similar price outside of the states. The 6XX 'phones I've got are sonically the best of my 7 sets of headphones [4 are Sennheiser, 2 are AKG, 1 is the Philips Fidelio X2 HR]. Also, the 6XX/HD 650 is very comfortable.
how do you x2xr? worth the money?

bugivugi

I use the near identical HD 598SR and am very happy with the purchase. They are very comfortable and I like that I can hear a telephone or door knock via the open design. Sennheiser also has the new HD 560S. It's a similar design but a newer model and in black.

For phone use the accessories supplied with the HD599 are a bonus. I have the 3.5mm, 4 pole, 1.2m cable with microphone and it works very well.
hd560s will need an amplifier. they have ~ 160 Ohm of resistance.

Robin L

Master Contributor
No. There seems to be resonances in the upper mid-range that make them sound brash on most anything. Big-band jazz comes out best, but the coloration is ultimately fatiguing. You want open back headphones, the 6XX is a much better bet, lighter, more comfortable and better sounding.

adama99

hd560s will need an amplifier. they have ~ 160 Ohm of resistance.

I've used the HD 560S directly connected to both phone and laptop, and they are more than loud enough without an external amplifier.

Once, I was deliberately running them much louder than usual to test a set of musician's earplugs. Still didn't need an amp.

I also own a set. I really like how the X2HR sound, but I couldn't get the clamping force down to a comfortable level.

For the money, I'd recommend the HD 560S instead.

Last edited:

bugivugi

I've used the HD 560S directly connected to both phone and laptop, and they are more than loud enough without an external amplifier.

Once, I was deliberately running them much louder than usual to test a set of musician's earplugs. Still didn't need an amp.

I also own a set. I really like how the X2HR sound, but I couldn't get the clamping force down to a comfortable level.

For the money, I'd recommend the HD 560S instead.
Is there metal in the headband? I thought about heating the headband with a building hair dryer to make the polymer more plastic and try to unbend the metal part ...

adama99

Is there metal in the headband? I thought about heating the headband with a building hair dryer to make the polymer more plastic and try to unbend the metal part ...

The 560S headband appears to be all plastic. The X2HR has metal rods that can be bent, but be careful of the finish.

Top Bottom