• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones under 200$/€ - Need Advice

audio_noob_69

Dear ASR members,

Do you have any good headphones to suggest for music listening that cost under 200$/€ ?
So far, I have picked the HD 599 as the most suitable for the job, but I have not made up my mind yet. I plan on using these with my phone & laptop.

Thank you for your time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear ASR members,

Do you have any good headphones to suggest for music listening that cost under 200$/€ ?
So far, I have picked the HD 599 as the most suitable for the job, but I have not made up my mind yet. I plan on using these with my phone & laptop.

Thank you for your time.
I use the near identical HD 598SR and am very happy with the purchase. They are very comfortable and I like that I can hear a telephone or door knock via the open design. Sennheiser also has the new HD 560S. It's a similar design but a newer model and in black.

For phone use the accessories supplied with the HD599 are a bonus. I have the 3.5mm, 4 pole, 1.2m cable with microphone and it works very well.

OP
audio_noob_69

audio_noob_69

Thank you for the quick reply

Should I prefer open-back in general for music listening? I intend to use them at home.
Regarding the models you suggested, I cannot find them in my country. There are some other cheaper models, the HD 569 & HD 559.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD569 is a closed model. The bass is reviewed as a little more boomy compared to a HD 599 and there isn't the spatial detail like in the HD599. A open design generally gives more spatial detail and better stereo separation. It's great for shooter games on the PC too.

For home use a open headphone is good as long as you won't be bothering peeps around you with the sound that emanates from a open design. If I crank my open design HD 598 to max which is pretty loud but bearable they can barely be heard in the hallway outside my bedroom.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
A missing consideration seemingly so far is the need - for any headphone - for PEQ.

For $200, my choice would be the SHP9500 ($75). Combined with the Qudelix 5k with PEQ for $110.

If you could stretch the budget a bit, I would suggest the HE400se at $149, the Qudelix at $110, and Balanced cable -about $42.

Connect the Qudelix to your phone and laptop via OTG USB cable. Avoid bt if possible.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Dear ASR members,

Thank you for your time.
I've got the Sennheiser HD 599. They are comfortable. Sonically, they suck. No deep bass, booming upper bass, foggy upper partials. I don't know if you want or need open back headphones. The Drop 6XX goes for $220 in the states, excellent open back headphones, lack deep bass unless eq-ed. The AKG K371 is closed back, requires little power, follows the Harman curve, has excellent deep bass without eq. They are on sale in the states for $120.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I am always hesitant to recommend the AKG K371 because of the dozens of complaints at Amazon about the poor hinges and the quality.
I think the hinges just confuse people who expect them to act like other hinges. Once I get the headphones on my head, there's no issue. Mine seem slippery when they're not on my head, are just fine when they are. I've never had better sounding closed back headphones and I've owned a lot.

Robin L

Master Contributor
HD58X or 6XX if you can get one used I suppose. Simplest way of getting decent sound without having to wonder about much over build quality or comfort.
Note that the 6XX is the Sennheiser HD 650, there's a massive reduction in the price through Drop, but I'm not sure if you can get them for a similar price outside of the states. The 6XX 'phones I've got are sonically the best of my 7 sets of headphones [4 are Sennheiser, 2 are AKG, 1 is the Philips Fidelio X2 HR]. Also, the 6XX/HD 650 is very comfortable.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am always hesitant to recommend the AKG K371 because of the dozens of complaints at Amazon about the poor hinges and the quality.

That and the likelihood that some people won’t experience their sound the way Harman’s engineers intended them to because of sealing issues brought by questionable design decisions (cf Rtings’ consistency results on real humans).
If PEQ can be implemented as well as open headphones I’d also recommend a Sennheiser open of the 58X / 6XX / 560S ilk.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can try a second hand Sennheiser HD580 as well. It's an older model, but they often pop up on the second hand market for peanuts. I have an HD580 and an HD600 and they're pretty on par with eachother. I paid $250 for the HD600 but $60 for the secondhand HD580, and they almost sound like the same headphone. :p Probably the best deal in headphone audio out there.

OP
audio_noob_69

audio_noob_69

Unfortunately, I am unable to buy or even try many of the models you suggested. In my country there are many Sony & JBL bluetooth headphones. I guess people buy them more here.

Regarding the AKG K371, they are available, but I read many comments talking about poor build quality and I also do not like the idea of the cables being exposed on the sides. The AKG 271 mkii are also available here.
I do not know if the above sound better than the HD 599. I would like to hear your opinion.

Are there any good BeyerDynamic or Audio Technica headphones in this price range?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Beyerdynamic DT880or if you want more bass along the lines of HD599 consider the DT880-Black Edition or DT990.
The Pro version clamps slightly harder and has coiled cords.
You need to address the treble peak in all of these models.

HD560S is around the $ 200.- range and has better stereo imaging.

Last edited:

MrBrainwash

If you want warm and save sound signature with good imaging then tygr 300R might be for you. :)

OP
audio_noob_69

audio_noob_69

I plan on using these headphones with my laptop & phone without an amp...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I plan on using these headphones with my laptop & phone without an amp...
You're going to be wanting a EQ on the laptop. Don't know about your cel tel EQ but they are available. LINKS>>>
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/list-of-amirs-headphone-peq-filters.18590/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/HeadphoneReview/
@ the last web link use the "EQ Software (beta)" tab.

buz

Forum Donor
Connect the Qudelix to your phone and laptop via OTG USB cable. Avoid bt if possible.

I totally agree on the Qudelix but avoiding BT I do not agree with. I even use with with my HD800s without any problems (at least with LDAC)

Top Bottom