• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones to use with computer, suggestions?

lowkey

Hi all I hope I post this in the right place on the forums.

I'm looking to buy a pair pf headphones for general every day use with my computer - listening to youtube, podcasts, while playing games and casually listening to music (more in the background while reading on forums like this)

Right now I'm using the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for no other reason than that was what I had available. It would be nice to have something that blocks out more background noise. Comfort is key as I will have them on for hours so not too heavy or bulky and I'll likely will take them on and off my head many times during an evening.

I was thinking of the AKG K731 but then I got second thoughts reading that they, may, not be as durable, may not be very comfortable (some reported that they, at least initially press quite hard on the ears) and maybe they just will be too good at picking up everything which may lead to podcasts and youtubevideos recorded under bad conditions will be intorable to listen to. Maybe a pair of headsphones that are more "forgiving" would be a better choice?

Price range up to $150-$200 or so give or take. Thanks.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want good general purpose headphones which block out noise and work with computers you can do a lot worse than look for a deal on Bose QC35II. It's a bit above your upper price but there are usually discounts on it now and you should be able to get a pair for not that much more.

ziddy76

Hi all I hope I post this in the right place on the forums.

I'm looking to buy a pair pf headphones for general every day use with my computer - listening to youtube, podcasts, while playing games and casually listening to music (more in the background while reading on forums like this)

Right now I'm using the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for no other reason than that was what I had available. It would be nice to have something that blocks out more background noise. Comfort is key as I will have them on for hours so not too heavy or bulky and I'll likely will take them on and off my head many times during an evening.

I was thinking of the AKG K731 but then I got second thoughts reading that they, may, not be as durable, may not be very comfortable (some reported that they, at least initially press quite hard on the ears) and maybe they just will be too good at picking up everything which may lead to podcasts and youtubevideos recorded under bad conditions will be intorable to listen to. Maybe a pair of headsphones that are more "forgiving" would be a better choice?

Price range up to $150-$200 or so give or take. Thanks.

Well the K371 are supposed to be very forgiving. The Harmon target is a very forgiving boring sound that headphone fans used to trash Bose and Beats for and now they rave about it. How much difference a mere 5 years can make with this hobby. But then the Bose and Beats sound sells very well, shocking I know. I demo's a K371 for what it's worth at a store, and frankly they sound like Bose to me.

Sounds to me DT770 is up your alley. Built like tank, hard to find someone who thinks they are uncomfortable. I never owned but I tried on someone else's and I can confirm, they are like pillows on your ears. The bass was strong and so was the treble, the mids are the weakness I thought for DT770, wasn't my flavor. But you are used to HD25-1 II so I suspect they may be to your liking.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If isolation is a priority, DT770s aren't necessarily any better at that than the existing HD25-1... they'd probably be a whole lot more comfortable though. OP, consider going the IEM route as well... but keep in mind that you may have to budget $99 for a headphone amp if your existing output turns out to be a hiss fest. You can get some pretty decent sub-$50 in-ears these days, so that may still work out, but their isolation isn't necessarily all that great. I guess if in doubt you could always get some Shure SE215s and EQ the hell out of them. IEMs are never as quick and easy to take out as traditional headphones though.

What sort of background noise are we talking about? ANC works best on even, lower-frequency noises, which is why it is such a fave with frequent flyers. It'll do little on voices and such, things like that will be handled by passive isolation alone.

Is the noise anything you can do about yourself? For example, one positive side effect I found after plastering my listening spot with absorbers was that external noises were diminished as well. My computer is a traditional midtower job and fairly quiet by itself, resides under the desk and has a blanket thrown over it for further damping of noise since the majority of fans are front-mounted (and don't worry, it's still getting enough air).

phrwn

Comfort is key as I will have them on for hours so not too heavy or bulky and I'll likely will take them on and off my head many times during an evening.
I can recommend Cooler Master MH751 based on that criteria. Not only are they very comfortable, but also well built enough that I feel like I don't have to be as careful taking them off repeatedly as I do with my E-Mu Teaks. The removable microphone is decent quality too. $80.

Sharur

Etymotic ER2SE w/ Foam Tips and Shirt Clip is my recommendation.

Things to Keep in Mind:
* The foam tips mold perfectly to my ear canals which results in excellent comfort and isolation. However, there are some who find the foam tips uncomfortable and would rather use the triple flange. Personally, I cannot stand the triple flange for more than 20 minutes.
* The shirt clip prevents the cable from dragging down on the IEMs, so they essentially feel weightless
* Zero peaks in the frequency response
* Worse compliance to Etymotic target than ER4SR but still very good
* Lower distortion at listening volumes than ER4SR
* The foam tips last quite a while if you follow this guide: When inserting the foam it is best to squeeze the tips starting from near the shell of the driver. If you squeeze too much at the top of the foam tip you will upset the glue. Once you've squeezed the foam it should look like glider tip. Once there, gently start pinching the top of the tip so you are able to insert (never twist). When inserting, use one hand to pull up your ear and keep your index finger over the top of the foam tip for easier insertion without potentially upsetting the glue. If you follow these steps the tips should last a while.
* The insertion process takes around 30 seconds
* No over-ear headphone can achieve a peak-free response at the ear drum without EQ

phrwn

* The insertion process takes around 30 seconds
That's the reason I gave up trying to use wired IEM's as a viable desktop audio solution. If you have to jump up to do anything too frequently this becomes annoying very quickly.

Sharur

That's the reason I gave up trying to use wired IEM's as a viable desktop audio solution. If you have to jump up to do anything too frequently this becomes annoying very quickly.
I just unplug them whenever I have to leave my desk

phrwn

I just unplug them whenever I have to leave my desk
Yes I guess with the shirt clip as well that's the best option. Still, I'd love a more convenient solution. I've had Airpod Pros for a couple of months but I swear (but can't confirm) they're giving me tinnitus in one ear.

max233

Grado has something in every price range. Light as a feather. They're open back but just turn up the volume a little to block out noise.

Sharur

Grado has something in every price range. Light as a feather. They're open back but just turn up the volume a little to block out noise.
inb4 amir destroys any grado headphone

Sharur

2000+ dollars grado ps1000 btw
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 3.29.50 PM.png

Top Bottom