• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
adelaidestevens
It is underwhelming because you EQ the HD560S to Harman or optimum hifi both based on some standard measured on 1 particular fixture that may not represent your ears.
To get the sound you are looking for you need to NOT tune to Harman nor optimum hifi but to the tonal character you are after.

25% of listeners does NOT prefer Harman anyway. When you are one of those there is no point in EQ'ing to a curve.
That's why I said you should EQ your HD560S to a similar tonal balance as the headphones you like. (Meze, DT700Pro etc.)

EQ is no BS... when done right and the headphones can actually handle what you want them to do.

B.T.W. a headphone that I consider fun and forgiving is the DT990 for instance (when you aren't bothered by the treble peak, some are, some are not)
I'm not skeptical, just dissapointed. Maybe I expected too much coming in. There's only so much you can do to a driver I guess.
Glad you mentioned I do actaully have a DT990 - love the bass on those but like most beyers they lack the tonality that sennheisers possess, I mean after all they're monitoring headphones.
A perfect headphone would probably be beyer's lows with sennheiser's mids

TjindarSingh

Hi I’m in the market for a fun headphone to pair with my HD 560s, something that is warm bassy with smooth trebles, that makes poorly mixed songs more enjoyable to listen to. Meze 99 seems to be everyone’s number one choice, similar cans I can think of is the dt 177x and 700 pro x , if anyone has input please fill me in :)
Thanks.
Have the meze 99 for demo I think the Koss kph30i is much better balanced the meze is just to much bass.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Swapping pads often brings changes but rarely gives actual objective improvements.
No way to tell what the outcome may be unless it is measured.

Last edited:

Postlan

It is underwhelming because you EQ the HD560S to Harman or optimum hifi both based on some standard measured on 1 particular fixture that may not represent your ears.
I agree, but Harman curve itself is questionable as an averaged preference. Most people complains too much bass.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could try the Superlux HD681 ($40 on Amazon). For just plain relaxed music enjoyment, pretty much as good as anything else for me personally. For me, very deep and full bass, a tiny bit of sizzle in the highs. Full range sound for sure.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I agree, but Harman curve itself is questionable as an averaged preference. Most people complains too much bass.

That may be an internet forum thingy. I think most people find the bass not too much. They just don't report it and don't complain.
I would agree that most complaints are about too much bass. At least I think so on well made recordings but it is great on pop and a lot of rock and older recordings.
Those complaints probably pale into comparison with people that actually like that extra bass (about 60% if we are to believe the research).

If the HD630VB would had a better 'bass control' following Harman and have a better overall SQ it could have been a great option and you could simply dial in some more or less 'Harman'bass on the fly.
hd630-vb-settings.png

You could try the Superlux HD681 ($40 on Amazon). For just plain relaxed music enjoyment, pretty much as good as anything else for me personally. For me, very deep and full bass, a tiny bit of sizzle in the highs. Full range sound for sure.
Fun ... yes... forgiving .. no. In stock form the treble is sharp and needs some modifications.

HD681-2018-FR.png

After the mods it looses the excessive treble and becomes a little less bassy and more comfy.
modified-HD681.png

Last edited:

Postlan

That may be an internet forum thingy. I think most people find the bass not too much. They just don't report it and don't complain.
I have yet to see someone was complaining lack of bass after Harman curve correction. All complains are about too much bass, 100%. How it can be an "average"?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have seen ASR readers wanting more bass than Harman and it is also shown in Harman research that there were people desiring more bass than the final target.
Lets call these people Bassheads and Harman level bass is 'lean in the bass' for them.

D

Deleted member 60987

Hi I’m in the market for a fun headphone to pair with my HD 560s, something that is warm bassy with smooth trebles, that makes poorly mixed songs more enjoyable to listen to. Meze 99 seems to be everyone’s number one choice, similar cans I can think of is the dt 177x and 700 pro x , if anyone has input please fill me in :)
Thanks.
I think that's common with Sennheiser. Background music headphones you can forget you are wearing. I think there are some bass and drum frequencies that have a real kick when boosted, mellow when cut. I used to think the ATH M40X boosted those, but haven't heard or compared them in a while. The 560s are pleasant but not the most immersive.

OP
adelaidestevens
I think that's common with Sennheiser. Background music headphones you can forget you are wearing. I think there are some bass and drum frequencies that have a real kick when boosted, mellow when cut. I used to think the ATH M40X boosted those, but haven't heard or compared them in a while. The 560s are pleasant but not the most immersive.
I recently bought an hd 650 and it compliments the 560s really well. But I'm still on the look for a bassy open back - then my life will be complete hahaha

OP
adelaidestevens
I would agree that most complaints are about too much bass. At least I think so on well made recordings but it is great on pop and a lot of rock and older recordings.
Those complaints probably pale into comparison with people that actually like that extra bass (about 60% if we are to believe the research).

If the HD630VB would had a better 'bass control' following Harman and have a better overall SQ it could have been a great option and you could simply dial in some more or less 'Harman'bass on the fly.
hd630-vb-settings.png

Fun ... yes... forgiving .. no. In stock form the treble is sharp and needs some modifications.

HD681-2018-FR.png

After the mods it looses the excessive treble and becomes a little less bassy and more comfy.
modified-HD681.png
What about the superlux evo? I heard the treble is more lax on those

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Superlux EVO needs quite different mods.
It has thick felt in front of the driver so does not have the treble emphasis but is too bassy/warm.

D

Deleted member 60987

I recently bought an hd 650 and it compliments the 560s really well. But I'm still on the look for a bassy open back - then my life will be complete hahaha
Sounds like you want more V shape but I don't know what open back have a lot of bass. Philips X2HR? AS for closed, M50X, MDR7506 and 361 have a decent combo of highs and lows.

OP
adelaidestevens
Sounds like you want more V shape but I don't know what open back have a lot of bass. Philips X2HR? AS for closed, M50X, MDR7506 and 361 have a decent combo of highs and lows.
Not so much V but more U since i still love my mids. Audeze LCDs comes to mind but they're way too expensive for me. What do you think of Edition XS?

D

Deleted member 60987

Not so much V but more U since i still love my mids. Audeze LCDs comes to mind but they're way too expensive for me. What do you think of Edition XS?
Haven't heard XS, but those are the most neutral ratings I have ever seen at 8.7.

Top Bottom