• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones preference score ranking chart based on Harman target curve

Henreid

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md
Headphones ranked by Harman headphone listener preference scores.
Thanks for this list. Even though I'm a relative novice, I recognize that this ranking doesn't claim to grade headphones as the best models to buy merely for their close conformance to the Harman target curve. However, I feel it can provide a helpful starting point for those of us who'd like to find headphones that have a neutral frequency response. I have a large collection of Classical Music on CD. With a signal path from CD player to amplifier to headphone that would be difficult to equalize precisely (without a significant investment in expensive equipment I really can't afford) I would definitely benefit from headphones that are tonally accurate right out of the box. I can use this list as a guide to begin making comparisons of the models that are most compatible with the Harman curve, while considering each model's strengths and weaknesses in other criteria, such as objectively measurable distortion, group delay, and efficiency. as well as more subjective qualities like soundstage, detail, imaging, dynamic impact, and comfort. Feel free to suggest any models that excel in most of these parameters (without requiring extensive equalization).

markanini

Major Contributor
Thanks for this list. Even though I'm a relative novice, I recognize that this ranking doesn't claim to grade headphones as the best models to buy merely for their close conformance to the Harman target curve. However, I feel it can provide a helpful starting point for those of us who'd like to find headphones that have a neutral frequency response. I have a large collection of Classical Music on CD. With a signal path from CD player to amplifier to headphone that would be difficult to equalize precisely (without a significant investment in expensive equipment I really can't afford) I would definitely benefit from headphones that are tonally accurate right out of the box. I can use this list as a guide to begin making comparisons of the models that are most compatible with the Harman curve, while considering each model's strengths and weaknesses in other criteria, such as objectively measurable distortion, group delay, and efficiency. as well as more subjective qualities like soundstage, detail, imaging, dynamic impact, and comfort. Feel free to suggest any models that excel in most of these parameters (without requiring extensive equalization).
Keep in mind the predicted margin of error is 7 points. A quirk of the model make that all scores above 90 can be seen as equal. Together it means everything above 83 can be considered.

At the same time feel free to start a new thread if you are looking for specific recommendations.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I can use this list as a guide to begin making comparisons of the models that are most compatible with the Harman curve, while considering each model's strengths and weaknesses in other criteria, such as objectively measurable distortion, group delay, and efficiency. as well as more subjective qualities like soundstage, detail, imaging, dynamic impact, and comfort. Feel free to suggest any models that excel in most of these parameters (without requiring extensive equalization).

properties like headstage, imaging, comfort, seal, longevity, support (pads etc), price etc. are not included in the Harman preference curve list nor are the lowest and highest frequencies included.
Also the list is only valid to a specific test fixture and your ears may vary.

So it is a list that has a certain ranking...

Henreid

properties like headstage, imaging, comfort, seal, longevity, support (pads etc), price etc. are not included in the Harman preference curve list nor are the lowest and highest frequencies included.
Also the list is only valid to a specific test fixture and your ears may vary.

So it is a list that has a certain ranking...
Understood.

Henreid

Keep in mind the predicted margin of error is 7 points. A quirk of the model make that all scores above 90 can be seen as equal. Together it means everything above 83 can be considered.

At the same time feel free to start a new thread if you are looking for specific recommendations.
Thanks for the tips!

Soria Moria

properties like headstage, imaging
I thankfully feel almost completely deaf to these things (or maybe I’m just too intelligent to be deceived :cool::p).
No matter the headphone I’ve owned and no matter the EQ all I can really hear is left, right and centre stage. It never sounds much like things are coming from a specific place. I now have an Arya Organic EQed to Harman + slight subjective adjustments and even though it’s supposed to have excellent imaging and be a ‘planar HD800’ I just don’t notice any difference in those things compared to anything I’ve owned. Oh well. That’s cheaper for me in the end.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Sokel

Master Contributor
T
I thankfully feel almost completely deaf to these things (or maybe I’m just too intelligent to be deceived :cool::p).
No matter the headphone I’ve owned and no matter the EQ all I can really hear is left, right and centre stage. It never sounds much like things are coming from a specific place. I now have an Arya Organic EQed to Harman + slight subjective adjustments and even though it’s supposed to have excellent imaging and be a ‘planar HD800’ I just don’t notice any difference in those things compared to anything I’ve owned. Oh well. That’s cheaper for me in the end.
Try this,it's a good way to setup your gear and to know that's something is not off to your rig:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Doubt there’s anything wrong with it since after my EQ it has a very balanced sound to my ears but I’ll check this out. Thanks!
While this is an non-BS test it does depend of if your auditory perception is close to the person that the test is created.
Good news is that there's a ton of tests like this (some with visual aids) so to fine tune a rig in terms of localization,stage,etc.

This one works both for my ancient ATH-M2 and the LCD-X for me.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Anything that sounded wide-staged to me had some tonal issue. Anything that had indistinct staging had different tonal issues. And, anything that had good tonal presentation was stuck with a frontal stage.

Henreid

I have a tangential question about applying equalization to headphones when listening to CDs. I'm using an OPPO BDP-103 as my CD player. The OPPO outputs a digital audio signal through coaxial, optical, and HDMI ports. Would there be a relatively simple way to utilize any of these output sources to insert digital headphone equalization tools into the signal path? What equipment would I need to accomplish this? Could I do this without needing to spend a small fortune? I have a laptop I can use, if this would be one of the necessary components.

I'm considering this because I realize there are many more high-quality headphones to choose from when you aren't limited to those few that have close Harman compliance. (If this question might be answered elsewhere on Audio Science Review please direct me to the appropriate forum) I'm eager to learn...

Last edited:

nathan

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md

Headphones ranked by Harman headphone listener preference scores.

Tables include the preference score (Score), standard deviation of the error (STD), slope of the logarithimc regression fit of the error (Slope) for both headphone types and average of the absolute error (Average) for in-ear headphones. STD tells how much the headphone deviates from neutral and slope tells if the headphone is warm (< 0) or bright (> 0).

Keep in mind that these numbers are calculated with deviations from Harman targets. The linked results use different levels of bass boost so the slope numbers here won't match the error curves you see in the linked results.

Over-ear table includes headphones measured by oratory1990. In-ear table includes headphones measured by oratory1990 and Crinacale. Measurements from other databases are not included because they are not compatible with measurements, targets and preference scoring developed by Sean Olive et al.
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been searching for a way to focus my search for a new set of closed back cans on those that have similar responses to the Harman target, and this list makes it much easier to prioritize my search. The Shure SRH440 would never have hit my radar without this list, for example.

Last edited:

alumnicesar

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been searching for a way to focus my search for a new set of closed back cans on those that have similar responses to the Harman target, and this list makes it much easier to prioritize my search. The Shure SRH440 would never have hit my radar without this list, for example.
maiky76 , a user here, also does preference scores from amirm's reviews

so the ultimate list would be a combo of both

solderdude

Grand Contributor

nathan

Thanks. Another resource I was not familiar with. I am glad to be shown it. Quite extensive. Except now I think I should be trying the 840 or 1540!

Last edited:
Top Bottom